Early disembark

K32682

So OP, are you now going to notify the cruise line if your plans in advance if embarkation as everyone here has recommended, or not?

I will provide them with the earliest possible notice but I may not know whether I will need to leave early before the cruise is booked or perhaps not even before departure.

I will provide them with the earliest possible notice but I may not know whether I will need to leave early before the cruise is booked or perhaps not even before departure.

There is an expression which addresses prolonged indecision: “You need to fish or cut bait.”

If you hope to debark early without incurring penalty or perhaps running afoul of immigration authorities, you need to work on advance approval.

If you get advance approval, which is likely to require the line to alter its passenger manifest, and you do not debark early, you may have a problem with immigration authorities at the final port because they will not expect you to be debarking there,

Since you have come on this site seeking advice I think you should consider this last bit: and make up your mind.

There is an expression which addresses prolonged indecision: “You need to fish or cut bait.”

If you hope to debark early without incurring penalty or perhaps running afoul of immigration authorities, you need to work on advance approval.

If you get advance approval, which is likely to require the line to alter its passenger manifest, and you do not debark early, you may have a problem with immigration authorities at the final port because they will not expect you to be debarking there,

Since you have come on this site seeking advice I think you should consider this last bit: and make up your mind.

I have checked this with three cruise lines including the one I am considering and with the Canadian Border Service Agency. The cruise line prefers advance notice but can according to them manage if passengers need/want to leave at the last minute. There is no additional fee but no discount and I would be responsible for all charges (e.g. gratuities.)

The Canadian Border Services Agency says there is no problem with a Canadian landing as a day visitor and then deciding he wants to enter the country as a returning citizen.

The cruise lines and the immigration officials do not seem to be as rigid and regimented as some might suggest and I can "fish or cut bait" at a time of my own choosing. I will inform the line as soon as my plans are confirmed.

Disclaimer: This information pertains only to a Canadian citizen entering Canada from a vessel originating from a non-U.S. port.

I know from previous experience Canadian authorities will not deny entry to the country by a Canadian citizen. They have to let us in eventually providing we go through the appropriate procedures.

In a private aircraft or boat what is required is to notify the CBSA telephone reporting center which can either approval an oral declaration or send officers to inspect. I note that Halifax is an authorized disembarkation site for cruise ships and an approved entry point for private vessels.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/se...o-onc-eng.html

Certainly, I do not intend to circumvent the law. I would notify cruise ship officials and make arrangements with the CBSA to be cleared if necessary using the reporting system that is already in place. I don't need "approval" from the cruise line to enter my own country unless they plan to forcibly prevent me from leaving the ship which would be, er, an interesting turn of events.

Another question is whether cruise passengers who are day visitors to their own country undergo closer scrutiny that those from other countries. I've never landed in Canada as a cruise passenger but know from previous experience the customs and immigration procedures in foreign ports for cruise passengers vary widely are often best described as cursory.

Sounds the cruise you are talking about is Norwegian Bliss,I am booked on that cruise, please for the rest of the people on board choose another way of getting to your final destination

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sounds the cruise you are talking about is Norwegian Bliss,I am booked on that cruise, please for the rest of the people on board choose another way of getting to your final destination

Whether I depart early is a matter between me, the cruise line and the relevant government officials. It is none of the business of the "rest of the people on board."

Whether I depart early is a matter between me, the cruise line and the relevant government officials. It is none of the business of the "rest of the people on board."

Because you came here, asked a question, received answers from the best of everyone's knowledge, yet, you have rubbed their noses in their answers by smugly disregarding them and making your own rules, whether allowed by the cruse line or not. As soon as you pressed the enter button, it DID become the business of the "rest of the people on board"

Oh and please do have a great cruise.....

Since there have been credible reports of people being charged extra for debarking Celebrity and Royal Caribbean cruises early, it would be surprising if NCL (well known for nickel and diming) would not also charge extra. Since a passenger has provided a credit card, tacking on such a charge would be easy - as would simply not refunding all the unexpended cash deposit.

Because you came here, asked a question, received answers from the best of everyone's knowledge, yet, you have rubbed their noses in their answers by smugly disregarding them and making your own rules, whether allowed by the cruse line or not. As soon as you pressed the enter button, it DID become the business of the "rest of the people on board"

Oh and please do have a great cruise.....

If I'm disregarding answers, smugly or otherwise, it is because the majority of them were wrong. The relevant information for my specific situation, which I have shared here, came from the cruise lines and the Canadian Border Services Agency. Disembarking is not a big deal, happens all the time, can be done at any time although the earlier the notice the better, there is no fine and the customs agency doesn't have a problem.

My wife and I are considering a transatlantic re-positioning cruise that ends in NYC. It coincides with a previously planned trip to Europe so instead of flying return we can take a boat back.

More convenient for us however would be disembarking a day earlier in Halifax because it lands us in our home country and we avoid having to fly back into Canada from NYC. Has anyone done something similar and how did you do it? Is this something we should notify the cruise line beforehand or just walk off with our luggage when we arrive in Halifax and let the boat carry on without us? If notice is suggested should it be before booking or after departure?

Ignore the “written permission” and “clear beforehand” brigade. I have disembarked early 20+ times. At the start of the cruise I go to Guest Services and inform them of my plans. It has never been a problem. The only exception would be if you breach the US’ Passenger Services Act (Google is your friend), but that is not the case here.

Ignore the “written permission” and “clear beforehand” brigade. I have disembarked early 20+ times. At the start of the cruise I go to Guest Services and inform them of my plans. It has never been a problem. The only exception would be if you breach the US’ Passenger Services Act (Google is your friend), but that is not the case here.

Thanks. That aligns with the information I've received from the lines and government. I also understand that in situations where the Passenger Services Act applies that it's a $300 fine and is simply paid by the departing passenger.

Good to hear from someone with vast experience. Since many of your cruises appear to have been with Celebrity, and they apparently now apply fees for early debarkation, can you let us know what they have charged you for early debarkation - and if they give an explanation?

Thanks. That aligns with the information I've received from the lines and government. I also understand that in situations where the Passenger Services Act applies that it's a $300 fine and is simply paid by the departing passenger.

Not so "simply". The cruise line is fined that amount and it goes on the record as a penalty for breaking the law. Then the fine is charged to the passenger, usually by charging their onboard account.