Drink Package Worth it?

SweetPease

I do not think we will cruise without a beverage package any more. Agree with many other posters on this subject. Initially we thought the price was high if we were to have paid for it (it was a perk on our September 2017 cruise). But then took a look at what was covered. When we are on vacation, we probably drink a bit more than at home (it is vacation...but we are still responsible!). However, we also enjoy not one, but perhaps 2 or 3 latte's from Cafe al Bacio throughout the morning. We enjoy a mimosa for breakfast (it's vacation!). And, as a habit, we have conditioned ourselves to drink more water as part of our regular routine, so it is not unusual to get 3-6 bottles of water throughout the day, especially as we disembark at a port stop! On the Infinity in September 2017, a 16-oz bottle of water was more than $2. On the Classic package, we just paid an extra couple bucks once a night at the Martini Bar - not a big deal...

In the end, we just like the fact that, since we are on vacation, we didn't feel the need to pull out the calculator every time we wanted something to drink. Our next cruise, in November 2018, the Classic package was also a perk...so, a no-brainer. :)

I do not think we will cruise without a beverage package any more. Agree with many other posters on this subject. Initially we thought the price was high if we were to have paid for it (it was a perk on our September 2017 cruise). But then took a look at what was covered. When we are on vacation, we probably drink a bit more than at home (it is vacation...but we are still responsible!). However, we also enjoy not one, but perhaps 2 or 3 latte's from Cafe al Bacio throughout the morning. We enjoy a mimosa for breakfast (it's vacation!). And, as a habit, we have conditioned ourselves to drink more water as part of our regular routine, so it is not unusual to get 3-6 bottles of water throughout the day, especially as we disembark at a port stop! On the Infinity in September 2017, a 16-oz bottle of water was more than $2. On the Classic package, we just paid an extra couple bucks once a night at the Martini Bar - not a big deal...

In the end, we just like the fact that, since we are on vacation, we didn't feel the need to pull out the calculator every time we wanted something to drink. Our next cruise, in November 2018, the Classic package was also a perk...so, a no-brainer. :)

Similar to ourselves, I thought about just doing the Classic, then thought each time I get what I want I may have to sign which could be several times a day... could be cheaper, but not convenient.

So we budget for the Premium rather it be an upgrade or outright purchase... usually it is an upgrade.

bon voyage

Here is a pdf of all three packages. For some reason I thought I remember something about SDP is only available on European cruises. Does anyone remember?

Thank you for this link, very interesting. This has probably been covered somewhere but I cannot find it so sorry for asking but the classic wine package states $109 - what do you actually get for that? Is it a set number of bottles or a set number of glasses, or can you get a wine by the glass at just meal times? Just a few guesses but please put me right.

Thank you

We always go with premium, I have expensive taste and a particular palate. I like martinis, red wine ( I’m very particular with my reds), and top shelf Canadian whiskey, sparkling water at every meal, and the specialty coffees. We’ve never regretted it. Enjoy your cruise.

Agree. We upgraded to premium on our first cruise. Could not tell you if it was worth it from a dollar and cents. It was totally worth it to not have to think about what my drink was going to cost. I was mostly concerned about wine. We are kinda fussy so we upgraded to premium even bough I was underwhelmed by the premium selection, but the basic was......not what we wanted We were pleasantly surprised to find that once the sommeliers figured out we appreciated good wine they often offered us wine that was not on the menu. Even though wine is by the glass they always pour from the bottle and often simply left the bottle for us. I loved that we could have a different wine for every course, and if we didn't love it, they would always find one we did. [emoji177][emoji177][emoji177] one of the main reasons we decided we love cruising!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Be advised that there are no quality champagnes included in the premium drinks package.

Most of the 'champagne' sold onboard is the fake US sparkling stuff.

Many of the better premium beers are also above the $13 limit so hubby will also have to pay the difference.

Considering “champagne “ only comes from the Champagne region in France, you basically disparaged every sparkling wine in the world.

But that’s okay. I prefer California bubbly to just about every bottle of champagne I’ve ever had. And Italian Prosecco makes the best mimosas.

Value over price every day and California wine over French always. It just tastes better. [emoji8]

Is it best to prepay for a package or wait until onboard? We have a TA booked so no perks. Unfortunately. Thanks

Hi, two schools of thought:

1) buy a package before your cruise when (if) it goes on sale for your cruise.

- I have heard that sales up to 50% off have occurred., usually the month before your cruise. You would have to be vigilant on your roll call or check into your cruise planner frequently to be able to catch them. They don’t last long.

-I found a 25% off sale this past December, about 4 months before my Transatlantic .

2) buy on board when (if) they offer a deal

- have heard reports of varying deals. 50% off. Or buy one get 2nd 50% off ( equal to 25% off for both)

- apparently it is up the Captain as the sale doesn’t happen every Transatlantic and I imagine it is based on the particular demographics of the populations on board ( how many elites that get happy hour or drink vouchers, etc)

Me: I hedged my bets! I bought one classic package at the 25% off sale, hoping for a 50% off sale before we cruise. Then I will cancel and re-buy two. If no further Pre-cruise sales and there is one onboard that is better, I will try to cancel and buy two!

Both of us don’t drink enough to make two at full price worth the cost. The math didn’t work out for two drink packages at 25% either. Don’t think eliminating the hassle factor of signing for drinks makes up for the extra cost. Do love the freedom to try different drinks and wines without worrying if I like them or not. Enjoying your vacation is worth some $ and ease from counting $!

Hope that helps you make a decision!

Jen

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

We are going on a 16 night cruise on Eclipse next year. No drinks packAge or OBC included at the moment. We had classic package included on last celebrity cruise which was great but dont think i will buy one this time unless a great reduction nearer the time. Package for 16 nights wouldbe a lot money! Will just pay as I go. Assume there will be a wine package. Might get that. Will also buy a soft drink package for the other half who doesnt driink alcohol as the cost of soft drinks adds up. Last cruise was on Oceania where soft drinks and good coffee are included and i just bought drinks when i wanted. Final bill was much smaller than package would have cost me.

Here is the challenge these days when booking on Celebrity. Every cruise other than repositionings (of all kinds) have the Classic package as a choice of a perk. Since this became commonplace (thanks to NCL) the basic cruise fares have gone up to at least partially cover this "not so free" perk. Therefore if you do not take this initially in your cruise fare you are subsidizing all those who did choose it and then if you decide to buy it later as an add on you are really paying up for it.

To a great extent this explains the crazy fare prices for the future; just keep in mind when they do not fill the ships they have sudden huge discounts. What a challenge we all have knowing when to book!

Here is the challenge these days when booking on Celebrity. Every cruise other than repositionings (of all kinds) have the Classic package as a choice of a perk. Since this became commonplace (thanks to NCL) the basic cruise fares have gone up to at least partially cover this "not so free" perk. Therefore if you do not take this initially in your cruise fare you are subsidizing all those who did choose it and then if you decide to buy it later as an add on you are really paying up for it.

To a great extent this explains the crazy fare prices for the future; just keep in mind when they do not fill the ships they have sudden huge discounts. What a challenge we all have knowing when to book!

We have never purchased the drink package in 10 Celebrity cruises. The first five, we were not elite and could not enjoy the happy hour, and a typical alcohol tab for two weeks would amount to a little over $500 total. Since we were elite that has dropped to about $300. I usually purchase a seven bottle wine package, which is enough for us for two weeks.

We now avoid booking any cruises that include the overpriced bundled with the package.

We do cruise on NCL a little and do not select the drinks package, since even though included in the price, you have to pay 20 percent of a ridiculous amount, based on over $70 per day per person. We just buy a wine package and it works just fine.

If they offered it half price as Expostie mentioned we would jump on it on our Transatlantic on the Reflection in April. The 2nd half of the cruise is port days so we would no way will we get our money's worth. Wil just pay as we go. We love when we get the drink package as a perk and we don't drink that mush but love the convenience.

Thank you for this link, very interesting. This has probably been covered somewhere but I cannot find it so sorry for asking but the classic wine package states $109 - what do you actually get for that? Is it a set number of bottles or a set number of glasses, or can you get a wine by the glass at just meal times? Just a few guesses but please put me right.

Thank you

The $109 becomes $128 with gratuity FYI

And for that you get 3 bottles.

5 bottles is $211

7 bottles is $293

Considering “champagne “ only comes from the Champagne region in France, you basically disparaged every sparkling wine in the world.

But that’s okay. I prefer California bubbly to just about every bottle of champagne I’ve ever had. And Italian Prosecco makes the best mimosas.

Value over price every day and California wine over French always. It just tastes better. [emoji8]

I didn't think my post was that difficult to understand. Your sweeping statements show you're still on your wine education journey. Enjoy. :*

I have sailed on upscale cruise lines that are really all inclusive with drinks, wine and just about any other beverage you can think of. You never present a card and just order anything and as much as you want. You pay a pretty hefty price for the cruise to get this. What I love about Celebrity and their drink package is you can be in the least expensive cabin and just buy the premium, or even just the classic package and then have the benifit of getting the same perk as you do on a luxury cruise line at thousands of dollars less. Or just pay as you go. I do like not having to keep track on how much I am spending on drinks and just the overall ease of it.

We have recently returned from a 10 day Celebrity cruise; we chose to forgo the drink package, which would have added almost $900 (CDN) to our fare. As per the rules, we were able to carry 2 bottles of wine on board; partway through the cruise we bought an additional bottle of red for $20 (to be consumed in our stateroom) -- a special promotion offered outside the Oceanview cafe at lunch time. I was satisfied with the arrangement and was able to enjoy a drink before dinner most evenings.

We do enjoy the odd mixed drink or glass of beer, and did not feel in any way deprived for limiting our intake. If we are able to score one of the perks next time at little additional cost, we may consider it, but it all comes down to what our budget will allow.

Do both spouses have to purchase the same drink package? I rarely drink alcohol but enjoy specialty coffees but my husband will enjoy a couple of drinks or a glass of wine with dinner.