What to do in "Sitka" for the day??

Kiwi_cruiser

We are going to Sitka, Alaska in 2019 and we have never been there before.

I was wondering what is their not to miss in Sitka?? and what would you recommend doing here for the day for a first time visitor?

Any ideas / suggestions are very welcome clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

My first time to Sitka was easy to figure out: I rented a car. Sitka's sites are kinda spread out though the town itself isn't very big. It's also very easy to navigate. A rental car from SITKA CAR RENTAL (Google search them...) is less than $100 for the day and you'll be free to stop and go when you want. (Sitka Car Rental will leave the car parked for you to get where is convenient for you so you're not wasting time going to their rental office...) The spots most people go are Fortress Of The Bear (several miles from downtown) and the Alaska Raptor Center (on the way to or from the bears) - there's some nice scenery about anywhere you look. There's a parking lot right near downtown that makes a good central spot for walking around to see things like St. Michael's Cathedral, the Russian Bishop's House, etc. Also on the edge of downtown (and walking distance from the Raptor Center, if you're on foot, is the Sitka National Historical Park - totem poles. Sitka is a very interesting place and my favorite stop. I love Sitka. Good luck!

We walked to the Sitka National Historical Park, the Russian Bishop's House and St Michael's. Also stopped by the Sheldon Jackson Hatchery at the Sitka Sound Science Center - wife wasn't as keen on that as I was. We had planned on going to go to the Raptor Center but actually saw quite a few eagles in the wild and fairly close up in the park.

We caught the shuttle to the Fortress of the Bear from the visitor’s center. The shuttle was $ 10 pp r/t and also stops at the Raptor Center. From there you can walk back to town through the Historical Park to see the totem poles or just take the shuttle back.

After returning, we walked around town and saw the Russian Bishop’s House, St. Michael’s Cathedral, had lunch and did some shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

We caught the shuttle to the Fortress of the Bear from the visitor’s center. The shuttle was $ 10 pp r/t and also stops at the Raptor Center. From there you can walk back to town through the Historical Park to see the totem poles or just take the shuttle back.

After returning, we walked around town and saw the Russian Bishop’s House, St. Michael’s Cathedral, had lunch and did some shopping.

This is the exact route my wife & I took in 2017. HAL provided bus from port to the city, then hopped on the $10/pp shuttle from downtown to the Fortress of the Bear, spent about an hour and a half there, then back on the shuttle to the raptor center where we spent another hour and a half, then a quick walk across the street and into the Historical park to see the totem poles and finally a quick walk along the waterfront to get back to downtown. Our favorite Alaska City.

If docked at Sitka you’ll have to take a shuttle into town, drops off at the Visitor Center. Lots of tour companies available there. We paid $30/pp.

If docked at Sitka you’ll have to take a shuttle into town, drops off at the Visitor Center. Lots of tour companies available there. We paid $30/pp.

I've scoped out public transportation or shuttles to Fortress of the Bear and Raptor Center, and they sound decent. However, I was wondering what kinds of tours are available at the Visitor's Center without pre-booking. What kind of tour did you take?

My favorite was an Otters, Raptors, and Bears excursion with the water portion first where I saw both humpback and gray whales, sitka deer, sea otters, harbor seals, eagles, and shore birds. The land portion was a visit to the Raptor Center to see rescued raptors followed by time spent at the Fortress of the Bears rescue center.

P7090170.jpg

• Like 1

My favorite was an Otters, Raptors, and Bears excursion with the water portion first where I saw both humpback and gray whales, sitka deer, sea otters, harbor seals, eagles, and shore birds. The land portion was a visit to the Raptor Center to see rescued raptors followed by time spent at the Fortress of the Bears rescue center.

P7090170.jpg

Amazing photo.

Thanks for posting this.

Keith

My first time to Sitka was easy to figure out: I rented a car. Sitka's sites are kinda spread out though the town itself isn't very big. It's also very easy to navigate. A rental car from SITKA CAR RENTAL (Google search them...) is less than $100 for the day and you'll be free to stop and go when you want. (Sitka Car Rental will leave the car parked for you to get where is convenient for you so you're not wasting time going to their rental office...) The spots most people go are Fortress Of The Bear (several miles from downtown) and the Alaska Raptor Center (on the way to or from the bears) - there's some nice scenery about anywhere you look. There's a parking lot right near downtown that makes a good central spot for walking around to see things like St. Michael's Cathedral, the Russian Bishop's House, etc. Also on the edge of downtown (and walking distance from the Raptor Center, if you're on foot, is the Sitka National Historical Park - totem poles. Sitka is a very interesting place and my favorite stop. I love Sitka. Good luck!

Thanks to SuperCrewBear, we did our research. There are 4 of us. We researched cruise ship excursions, Private Excursions and find that we can do the town of Sitka better by renting a car from Sitka Car Rental. It will be cheaper to see the Raptor Center, Fortress of the Bear and other things this way...and go out of town and enjoy the beauty, maybe take a hike, all on our on time, in our own tour. We just booked with SCR yesterday and Terry was most helpful with ideas. Good luck.

As others have mentioned Fortess of the Bear was great, but I enjoyed the Raptor Center more.

They brought a bird named Sitka into the room we were sitting in and talked about the Bald Eagles. This allowed us closer vantage of this majestic bird.

i-BQCQPgT-L.jpg

i-dg2mQT3-L.jpg

i-MTGgDpb-L.jpg

Outdoor viewing area

i-mxRFd9k-L.jpg

i-H35KJm6-L.jpg

Definitely recommend the raptor center!

Some great ideas regarding Sitka.

Another idea is the Sheldon Jackson Museum. Sheldon Jackson was an important person in Alaska history. As a Presbyterian missionary and also the person in charge of establishing an education system after the purchase from Russia he was all over the state. He had a great interest in ethnographic items and amassed a large collection. The Sheldon Jackson Museum was established on the grounds of a small private college and housed that collection. The college went through periods of financial instability (and now no longer exists). During one of those periods the college board decided to sell the museum collection, and fortunately the state of Alaska had the foresight to purchase the building and contents in the mid-1980s. The Sheldon Jackson Museum is now a satellite of the Alaska State Museum in Juneau.

• 3 months later...

Just off the Eurodam. We docked about 5 miles outside of town and took the free cruise ship provided shuttle into town. Drop off was at the visitor's center/library. Took a bus out to Fortress of the Bear (5 miles outside of town) ($10pp for the shuttle and $10pp entrance fee). After about an hour took the shuttle back to town (skipped raptor center as we saw several eagles at the Fortress of the Bear). The shuttle driver told us that the main road is 14 miles long, so we covered 10 miles of it from the dock to town and out to Fortress of the Bear.

Spent time walking around town, St.Micheal's, the Bishop's house. Had perfect weather (68 degrees and sunny).

Shopped some and then headed back to the ship. This was our "super-chill" cruise, and Sitka didn't disappoint.

We were in Sitka in late May.

We took the free shuttle offered by the port to the visitor center down by the waterfront. There were some vendors standing there, offering tours, plus perhaps there were more inside, but I didn't go inside to find out. I had an hour and a half before I had to come back to the visitor center area to meet my husband and find Gary Downie of Gary's Sitka Adventures. I turned right from the center and walked along the waterfront, passing the Russian Bishop's House (can go inside, but I didn't do that, as my time was a little limited). I walked down to the totem park for a short visit. It was pretty down there, and also on the way was a very pretty camp-like educational center made from beautiful dark wood. A museum was also on the way, but I didn't go in.

Gary was great. There were 4 of us, although he had originally told me he would take just the two of us if nobody else signed up. He was very personable and his boat was comfortable (inside area with seating, plus small outside area). We didn't see whales but saw otters, eagles (quite close), and sea lions, plus some of Sitka's beautiful boats/harbors and mountains/islands and a pretty lighthouse-themed rental property. I give thumbs up to Gary - worthwhile trip. After the boat trip I wanted to go to the Fortress, but due to our time in port and our plans with Gary, that didn't happen. I couldn't find anyone to take me there at 3 in the afternoon on Memorial Day! I should have just paid Gary for his van tour there and to the raptor center, but I saw plenty of eagles elsewhere, so only wanted to go see bears and didn't want to spend more money on organized tours.

The two shuttle companies that routinely run shuttles to Fortress of the Bear and the Raptor Center for $10 roundtrip are:

Sitka Tours 907.747.5800or Tribal Tours 907.747.7137. Someone on here suggested that I call both companies the day before coming to Sitka to find out if they would be running. I think they pick up from outside the visitor center. One only runs when there are at least a thousand cruisers in town, though. Here are some other companies/phone numbers you might want to explore: Sitka Wildlife Tours (907) 738-1733, SpecializedTours of Sitka(907) 623- 7716, Baranof Island Taxi (907)738-4722, Cummins Taxi & Tours (907) 738-3079, Hanks Cab (907) 747-8888,Nina’s (907) 738-1931, Sitka Taxi (907) 747-5001 (I didn't use any, so can't comment further on them!)

There were some (limited) taxis around in the morning that I think were looking for fares, but in the afternoon, I didn't see any. Of course, we were there on a holiday, plus our ship only carried 700 passengers, and it was a little early in the season, so I guess things were quiet because of that. Your experience might be different. Also, if you're on a really small cruise ship, you may tender in Sitka - pretty close to the visitor center, where the shuttles take cruisers who dock up north.

I walked around, went up the hill to the old castle site where Alaska was transferred to the U.S. from Russia. I also found a thrift store and bought a warmer hat, plus walked around the beautiful Pioneer Home, which is reported to have a small gift store in the basement. I saw the Orthodox church but didn't walk up there to see if I could go in.

Sitka was beautiful, and we had a great time there. My pictures are here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/sitka_and_hubbard_glacier_alaska_may_2018 (you'll probably have to copy and paste this address)

I didn't have time to actually go in, so I only saw and photographed a few totems that were around the building. I don't really know if it's worthwhile or not, but I would guess that it IS. It took me about 20 minutes to walk down there - fairly easy, just turn right from visitor center, see Russian Bishop's house (yellow), stay as close to water/marina areas as you can, pass the museum on right (maritime? Sitka Science Museum? I forget), pass the educational camp complex on left, come to a parking area for the National Historic Park. Pretty lake (or some body of water) there. Here are notes I had, but I can't guarantee they're accurate, as I didn't really go into the park, just stayed outside for 10 minutes before I had to get back!

"Nice 0.75 mile walk along harbor from marina tourist center to Sitka National Historical Park. 6a-10p or 8-5 - has totems, can do phone audio tour (includes explanation of totem symbols), or get brochure of totems. 2 miles of nicely maintained trails in park, some nice water views. If want, walk to ruins of wooden fort where Tlingit people staged last open resistance against Russians in 1804 Battle of Sitka. Main building has exhibits. Usually has carver. Often has dancers, with tickets offered half hour before performance at visitor's center in town or clan house in park." (I don't know if there's an admission fee for the park, but I think so.)

If you're going to Ketchikan, you'll have two totem parks that are fairly easy to get to by public bus, plus a museum right in town. The two outdoor totem parks are outside of town but not terribly far and a trip to either one takes maybe 2 or 2 1/2 hours including the transportation. I guess I liked Totem Bight a little better than the other one, but both were inexpensive and worthwhile.

Edited by roothy123

I didn't have time to actually go in, so I only saw and photographed a few totems that were around the building. I don't really know if it's worthwhile or not, but I would guess that it IS. It took me about 20 minutes to walk down there - fairly easy, just turn right from visitor center, see Russian Bishop's house (yellow), stay as close to water/marina areas as you can, pass the museum on right (maritime? Sitka Science Museum? I forget), pass the educational camp complex on left, come to a parking area for the National Historic Park. Pretty lake (or some body of water) there. Here are notes I had, but I can't guarantee they're accurate, as I didn't really go into the park, just stayed outside for 10 minutes before I had to get back!

"Nice 0.75 mile walk along harbor from marina tourist center to Sitka National Historical Park. 6a-10p or 8-5 - has totems, can do phone audio tour (includes explanation of totem symbols), or get brochure of totems. 2 miles of nicely maintained trails in park, some nice water views. If want, walk to ruins of wooden fort where Tlingit people staged last open resistance against Russians in 1804 Battle of Sitka. Main building has exhibits. Usually has carver. Often has dancers, with tickets offered half hour before performance at visitor's center in town or clan house in park." (I don't know if there's an admission fee to park or not.)

If you're going to Ketchikan, you'll have two totem parks that are fairly easy to get to by public bus. They're outside of town but not terribly far and a trip to either one takes maybe 2 hours including the transportation. I guess I liked Totem Bight a little better than the other one, but both were inexpensive and worthwhile.

Thank you. Ketchikan is not on our itinerary this trip. So, I will have to decide if I want to do the totem park or not. I really do want to see the other downtown sights as well.

I would think that you could see most of what Sitka has to offer, assuming you're there a full day, maybe 8 to 5 or whatever - unless you do a long excursion like a wildlife boat trip. The distances aren't great, but if you want to go to the Fortress of the Bear and the Raptor Center (and same shuttles go to both) that will take almost half the day. You may have to wait a little for each shuttle; not sure, but keep that in mind! I would just grab something simple to eat mid-day rather than go back to the ship, as the drive from port was maybe 10-15 minutes after the bus got (somewhat) full and left. There are places to eat in Sitka, plus we saw one or two food trucks. My pre-cruise notes on food are as follows: Mean Queen 205 Harbor Drive (upper loop - kind of confusing address) pizza,wings, salad. Little Tokyo 5 min. walk from VC but not sure of price or hours. Sitka Restaurant not too far (6 minute walk). Blow up google to see restaurants. A Little Something Sitka (coffee shop) same area & might be OK for sandwich/snack. Home Port Eatery.com at 209 Lincoln (inexpensive) & Bear Country Coffee at 303 Lincoln might work for a snack.Bayview Pub not cheap ($15 for burger) but close. Subway not too far.

I'm not much of a shopper, but there apparently are some fairly nice shops there for made in Alaska things: Local artists at Island Artists Gallery 205B Lincoln St., typically open until 5 or 6, see website. Fishermen’s Eye at 239 Lincoln. Abby’s Reflection Apparel & Quiltworks 231 Lincoln, 10-6.

https://issuu.com/sitkacvb/docs/svp2018-lowrez is a good visitor’s booklet

• 1 month later...
I would think that you could see most of what Sitka has to offer, assuming you're there a full day, maybe 8 to 5 or whatever - unless you do a long excursion like a wildlife boat trip. The distances aren't great, but if you want to go to the Fortress of the Bear and the Raptor Center (and same shuttles go to both) that will take almost half the day. You may have to wait a little for each shuttle; not sure, but keep that in mind!

Will the same round trip shuttle cover both Fortress of the Bear and the Raptor Center?

Will the same round trip shuttle cover both Fortress of the Bear and the Raptor Center?

I think so, but here are the two companies that operate the shuttles, so you can call them if you want. I don't know if they alternate days and times or what, and if they accept each other's tickets. At least one of the two has a website, although the information isn't comprehensive. What I was told was that it's best to call one or both the day before you're there for more information. As I probably mentioned, I was there on a holiday, so no shuttles were running, at least not in the afternoon. However, from what I've read they're pretty easy to spot when they do run -- at the visitor center/hall by the harbor.

Sitka Tours 907.747.5800 or Tribal Tours 907.747.7137.

Was recently in Sitka and absolutely LOVED this port!

The highlight for us was the National Historical Park and the Sail Away. More about that in a moment. . . .

We started the day at the Russian Bishop’s House, which is operated by the National Park Service. Visited the lower level and took the 20 minute free guided tour of the upper level.

After that, we went by St. Michael’s Church. The streets in this area of Sitka are lovely and filled with shops. I meant to visit Wild Arts Gallery and Glass to see the glassblowing, but I got my directions wrong (it was in this area) and ran out of time later. We went by the Sheet’ka Kwaan Naa Kahidi shop to see when the 30 minute tribal dance performance would be (their website was down and the voice message did not have times). That day it was scheduled for 11:45am and was $10. They had a gift shop but it was not yet open and I was asked to return later. By the way, the Russian New Archangel Dancers’ 30 minute performance that day was at 12:30pm ($10). Tickets are sold 30 minutes in advance at the door and they seat 500, so I was told selling out is not an issue. Performances are in the building where the ship shuttle drops passengers off. (If visitors wanted to see both performances, there would be time). There is also a museum inside (guide books say it’s free, but it was $5). There is free wi-fi here and benches outside, it is a very nice center. Be sure to check out the canoe out front.

From Totem Square, you have a view of the Sheet’ka Kwaan Naa Kahidi clan house, Russian blockhouse, Pioneer House, St. Michael’s and the Baranof Totem in one photo shot. Back to our day. . . .

From there we went to Castle Hill and enjoyed the view. Then we took the Sea Walk along the harbor to the National Historical Park. This site is a gem! We could have easily spent our entire time at this site. This is the oldest National Park in Alaska. There is a nice visitor’s center that houses a theater (showing a film on the area upon request), a museum and Cultural Center where Tlingit artists work. There was a carving center with old totems in the back. Their website gives a list of special events with the artisans and the ranger-led events at the Park.

We took the trail by the seaside and it was such a lovely walk, both through the forest and by the water. There were picnic tables in picturesque areas to stop and eat at.

The trail led us by the river, and the salmon run had just begun. There were a lot of salmon jumping near where the river met the bay. We could hear eagles nearby. The trail led us to the bridge over the river, we didn’t have time for the Russian Memorial part of the Trail, so we went as far as the bridge. There were LOTS of salmon just resting in the river here. (Other guests said bears had been nearby earlier). There was a bald eagle keeping watch in a tree. He flew overhead, followed by another. It was a beautiful area and a perfect way to end our time in beautiful Sitka.

This is one port where we wished we’d had more time! There is a lot to do here. The Sail Away was the best we’ve ever experienced in terms of whale sightings! We counted 17 from the time we left to about an hour after (about the time we were passing the volcano). Saw very large jellyfish, too. It was a fantastic way to end this perfect day!

Happy Sailing!

Edited by syesmar
spacing

Was recently in Sitka and absolutely LOVED this port!

The highlight for us was the National Historical Park and the Sail Away. More about that in a moment. . . .

We started the day at the Russian Bishop’s House, which is operated by the National Park Service. Visited the lower level and took the 20 minute free guided tour of the upper level.

After that, we went by St. Michael’s Church. The streets in this area of Sitka are lovely and filled with shops. I meant to visit Wild Arts Gallery and Glass to see the glassblowing, but I got my directions wrong (it was in this area) and ran out of time later. We went by the Sheet’ka Kwaan Naa Kahidi shop to see when the 30 minute tribal dance performance would be (their website was down and the voice message did not have times). That day it was scheduled for 11:45am and was $10. They had a gift shop but it was not yet open and I was asked to return later. By the way, the Russian New Archangel Dancers’ 30 minute performance that day was at 12:30pm ($10). Tickets are sold 30 minutes in advance at the door and they seat 500, so I was told selling out is not an issue. Performances are in the building where the ship shuttle drops passengers off. (If visitors wanted to see both performances, there would be time). There is also a museum inside (guide books say it’s free, but it was $5). There is free wi-fi here and benches outside, it is a very nice center. Be sure to check out the canoe out front.

From Totem Square, you have a view of the Sheet’ka Kwaan Naa Kahidi clan house, Russian blockhouse, Pioneer House, St. Michael’s and the Baranof Totem in one photo shot. Back to our day. . . .

From there we went to Castle Hill and enjoyed the view. Then we took the Sea Walk along the harbor to the National Historical Park. This site is a gem! We could have easily spent our entire time at this site. This is the oldest National Park in Alaska. There is a nice visitor’s center that houses a theater (showing a film on the area upon request), a museum and Cultural Center where Tlingit artists work. There was a carving center with old totems in the back. Their website gives a list of special events with the artisans and the ranger-led events at the Park.

We took the trail by the seaside and it was such a lovely walk, both through the forest and by the water. There were picnic tables in picturesque areas to stop and eat at.

The trail led us by the river, and the salmon run had just begun. There were a lot of salmon jumping near where the river met the bay. We could hear eagles nearby. The trail led us to the bridge over the river, we didn’t have time for the Russian Memorial part of the Trail, so we went as far as the bridge. There were LOTS of salmon just resting in the river here. (Other guests said bears had been nearby earlier). There was a bald eagle keeping watch in a tree. He flew overhead, followed by another. It was a beautiful area and a perfect way to end our time in beautiful Sitka.

This is one port where we wished we’d had more time! There is a lot to do here. The Sail Away was the best we’ve ever experienced in terms of whale sightings! We counted 17 from the time we left to about an hour after (about the time we were passing the volcano). Saw very large jellyfish, too. It was a fantastic way to end this perfect day!

Happy Sailing!

Sounds like a fabulous day in beautiful Sitka, and you certainly made the most of it!