Mahogany Bay to Coxen Hole - Taxi???

beshears

How do I get from Mahogany Bay to Coxen Hole? Do we take a Taxi, or can we walk? If Taxi, do you know the cost pp?

Coxen Hole is probably a healthy 30 minutes by car from Mahogany Bay. I think the better choice is to pre-arrange a private English-speaking driver due to there no set price for taxi.

Coxen Hole is probably a healthy 30 minutes by car from Mahogany Bay. I think the better choice is to pre-arrange a private English-speaking driver due to there no set price for taxi.

I agree, I can understand having a driver for the day and maybe stopping off there for something particular but I can’t imagine making it my destination.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

First, I was doing a little reading about this area, and I'm wanting to find something that is made there. It was mentioned that there is a place called Made in Roatan, and it helps (when we make purchases) the people there financially. Items found here are made by their people, and that is what I am looking for.

My next question, once we walk out of Mahogany Bay, will there be Taxi's close by to take us there? Any idea what the cost of a Taxi there would be?

Thank you everyone for your responses.

First, I was doing a little reading about this area, and I'm wanting to find something that is made there. It was mentioned that there is a place called Made in Roatan, and it helps (when we make purchases) the people there financially. Items found here are made by their people, and that is what I am looking for.

My next question, once we walk out of Mahogany Bay, will there be Taxi's close by to take us there? Any idea what the cost of a Taxi there would be?

I applaud your desire to have a visit to Made In Roatan, there is another shop that offers local crafts in West End, it is called Rusty Fish.

As I said above and heaps and heaps of threads here echo. Taxi prices are not regulated, they are not set. There is no one price from point A to point B, it is all about how much the taxi driver can get out of you and how good your haggling skills are. There is also the possibility some random taxi will not be safe.

I recommend you contact a few of the tour operators, ask them what they would charge you round trip, plus wait time to get you from Mahogany Bay to Made In Roatan. If that is truly all you wish to do. Personally, I think you should add Rusty Fish and lunch in West End to your day, but that is just my opinion. :0)

http://www.rustyfish.com/about/

Ahh the "about" page on Rusty Fish says that have a kiosk in the shops at Mahogany Bay.

Guest2000, thank you for your reply. I had thought about going to West End, but had no idea there was a place called Rusty Fish that sounds like it is similar to Made in Roatan close to West End, where I can help put a little money into their economy.

• 1 month later...

There are tons of shops with Made in Roatan items available. You can tell your driver what you want to see/do.

One shop we were in had some gorgeous hand carved doors for sale. Made of local Mahogany...well over US$2000. No place to store them on the ship for the rest of the cruise. :cool:

Still...many of the local craft items are made of hand carved wood....really nice! But there is little need to go to Coxen Hole to find them.

Also, if you are haggling, expect to hear "special price" as low as 30% below sticker.

Thank you for your replies. I will ask the driver, or a native to direct us to the nearest Rusty Fish place. I'm getting excited, just seeing the pictures of what they make.:)

You didn't get a responce of how far outside the mohogany bay port you have to walk to taxi's, i would also like to know!

You didn't get a responce of how far outside the mohogany bay port you have to walk to taxi's, i would also like to know!

I have never done it but Google “exiting mahogany bay roatan” and you will find several you-tube videos.

There is a taxi stand in Mahogany Bay...just walk thru the shopping area towards the exit...you cannot miss the taxis. A schedule of fares to different locations is posted and there are persons tasked with directing you to an available taxi.

There is a taxi stand in Mahogany Bay...just walk thru the shopping area towards the exit...you cannot miss the taxis. A schedule of fares to different locations is posted and there are persons tasked with directing you to an available taxi.

If anyone thinks to get a photo of those listed taxi fares from within Mahogany Bay, I would be very interested what they are.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be in Mahogany Bay next week and will take a photo of the fares. The "ski-lift" ride to the beautiful beach there is all I was going to do. Years ago we docked somewhere else, near an area that had a small zoo. Anyone know how far away that would be?

Years ago we docked somewhere else, near an area that had a small zoo. Anyone know how far away that would be?

That sounds like what is now called Maya Key. It is a small island just across from where the ships dock in Coxen Hole. It was called Fins & Flippers about 10 years ago. I believe it is only available as an excursion through the ships now. It is accessible by boat from Coxen Hole and Mahogany Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...