Lanai doors left open

SetAnOpenCourse

Just wanted to jump in because I have stayed in the Lanai cabin twice and enjoyed the location and cabin. I know from reading the threads on CC for years the reconfiguration is not poplar with many and I will say these cabins are not for everyone. I don't recall seeing any signs about not leaving the slider open they would be inside the cabin so if you've never occupied one how would you know.

. The door is VERY heavy and slides back on it's own when you exit your stateroom. So yes, you would need something to prop the door open. We did not observe this behavior in our area. Personally this is not something we would do.

We did get a call once from the bridge. It was embarkation day, my husband was juggling his drink and other goodies to go and sit on the lounger while I unpacked, another bag arrived and when I opened the inside door it created quite a wind tunnel effect. The powers that be know when there is an unusual air disturbance.

I did enjoy the ability to enter my cabin from the deck door or cabin door, you are given a special card that you swipe across a pad that will open the lanai door. Yep, I know...another card to keep track of!!

We are very social and enjoyed some pleasant conversation with others as they strolled by, again not for everyone.

The loungers have a small plaque on them designating them to your cabin, I don't know if this is still the same but the pads on the loungers were different. We never had any problems..

Just my thoughts...

It might be fun to see a bird fly through one of those open lanai (or balcony, for that matter) and make a mess in the passengers' things trying to get back out. Those passengers deserve it.

Not nice for the bird, so I really don't want it to happen, but the mental image makes me smile.

Interesting discussion. One of HAL's competitors, who shall remain nameless, is in the process of building a new ship designed to accommodate those who enjoy open balcony doors. The Infinite Verandas will have a folding glass wall separating the cabin and the veranda that folds away at the touch of a button. The exterior veranda wall can be kept closed or the top portion lowered to present a standard balcony experience. I'll be curious to hear reports on how well they manage the engineering challenges presented in this thread - AC efficiency and the wind tunnel effect when the hallway door is opened. I would guess it's easier to take steps to overcome these challenges in a new build than in a retrofit.

Interesting discussion. One of HAL's competitors, who shall remain nameless, is in the process of building a new ship designed to accommodate those who enjoy open balcony doors. The Infinite Verandas will have a folding glass wall separating the cabin and the veranda that folds away at the touch of a button. The exterior veranda wall can be kept closed or the top portion lowered to present a standard balcony experience. I'll be curious to hear reports on how well they manage the engineering challenges presented in this thread - AC efficiency and the wind tunnel effect when the hallway door is opened. I would guess it's easier to take steps to overcome these challenges in a new build than in a retrofit.

What a great idea - let me pay more money so my cabin neighbors can leave their balcony doors open. That works. Who exactly are you claiming is a" HAL competitor". This sounds like something Viking would do since they are the ones building most of the new ships. They are not "HAL competitors"; in fact their onboard policies are designed to discourage competition for HAL's older customer base.

What a great idea - let me pay more money so my cabin neighbors can leave their balcony doors open. That works. Who exactly are you claiming is a" HAL competitor". This sounds like something Viking would do since they are the ones building most of the new ships. They are not "HAL competitors"; in fact their onboard policies are designed to discourage competition for HAL's older customer base.

This is Celebrity's Edge ships, and it will be definitely interesting to see how they manage this.

Celebrity. And yes, they are a HAL competitor considering they are of the same class of cruise lines.

This is Celebrity's Edge ships, and it will be definitely interesting to see how they manage this.

I'm curious about that too. I wonder if, while the ship is underway, they will have to keep one or the other closed (either the balcony door or the exterior sliding window). It's really interesting how that window slides up to make the balcony part of the interior space.

Celebrity hit a home run with Solstice Class. This new class is another potential game changer. But that's the RCCL brand for ya. They are much better at innovative ship designs than Carnival Corp.

Celebrity. And yes, they are a HAL competitor considering they are of the same class of cruise lines.

Sounds like Celebrity is moving out of mainstream, utilitarian cruising. And more into purpose-built frou frou cruising. Yes, it will be interesting to see how this engineering works out. This does seem to be an enduring fantasy - sleeping at sea with the window/doors open.

I'm curious about that too. I wonder if, while the ship is underway, they will have to keep one or the other closed (either the balcony door or the exterior sliding window). It's really interesting how that window slides up to make the balcony part of the interior space.

Celebrity hit a home run with Solstice Class. This new class is another potential game changer. But that's the RCCL brand for ya. They are much better at innovative ship designs than Carnival Corp.

It has long been my own observations that HAL passengers care more about where they are going, than how they get there. They, as a general observation, don't need "innovation"; just solid itineraries and safe, comfortable ships. YMMV.

Yeah, I forgot about the enclosed balcony on these cabins. Most likely you will have your choice, either the cabin open to the balcony and the balcony enclosed, or the cabin closed to the balcony and the balcony open. That would be not only underway, but at all times if they don't segregate the AC completely. And given the cost of just these glass enclosures, I'll warrant they haven't gone the route of motor dampers and air flow balancing frequency drives for the fans to segregate the cabins.

We were on Volendam last summer at the end of a 15-day Alaska-Yukon-cruise trip, and booked a lanai cabin (3357). I'm 6' tall, and my wife is 5'11", and we both had to really muscle the sliding door to the deck. In addition, once we got it open, we had to fight to keep it open long enough to get through it. I'm surprise anyone is able to prop it open without crushing whatever's used as a prop.

We thought the cabin was very quiet (no noise from the deck washing, neighbors, or anything above or in the corridor), but it was a bit snug (someone in advertising might say cozy: the loveseat could accommodate two kids or one-and-a-half adults). The curtain for the door to the deck drags on the carpet, so there's no gap for light to enter.

Our one complaint was the the steward brought in the deck chair cushions each night, and put them in from of the fixed glass next to the sliding door, so we had to move them to close the curtain.

There was a small sign on the wall over the deck chairs nothing that they were reserved for each cabin (with the cabin number on the sigh), but (with one exception) we didn't see anyone using any deck chair during the four days we were onboard (and this was the first week of June, so the weather was cool, but not cold).

As far as I can tell, HAL is the only major cruise line with lanai-type cabins, which is very much a strong selling point for us.

So there will be two glass walls, one between the cabin and the balcony and one at the edge of the balcony?

As far as I can tell, HAL is the only major cruise line with lanai-type cabins, which is very much a strong selling point for us.

Can you tell me why you like the Lanai cabins. I am thinking of either a Lanai or Verandah Spa for a Med cruise. So far the Verandah is my choice because of the mini-fridge. I do like the idea of easy access to the promenade as we love to walk the decks.

I had a lanai on Veendam a few years back and I can tell you for sure there was NO sign of any kind saying not to leave (prop) the slider open.

I knew NOT to do it due to discussions here, but for someone who does not know, it could quite easily happen. And HAL could go a long way to preventing that lack of knowledge if they would include that piece of information in the letter that accompanies the special slider key card.

So there will be two glass walls, one between the cabin and the balcony and one at the edge of the balcony?

There will be double glass doors leading out to the balcony that fold open to completely open the balcony to the room. At the balcony railing, there is a large window that can be raised to make the balcony an interior space.

enhance

Carnival has them too. Except on Carnival, you have a full size balcony that then opens up to the promenade.

enhance

Since the sofa looks like an uncomfortable daybed, these Celebrity cabins will need the glassed-off extra balcony chairs for their in-cabin seating. Gimmicks do not equate automatically with innovation.

Carnival has them too. Except on Carnival, you have a full size balcony that then opens up to the promenade.

Those are on their newer ships, correct? We were across from one of them in a port few years ago, and they really looked nice. The balconies, that is, not the ship. Don't care for their overall look.

Can you tell me why you like the Lanai cabins. I am thinking of either a Lanai or Verandah Spa for a Med cruise. So far the Verandah is my choice because of the mini-fridge. I do like the idea of easy access to the promenade as we love to walk the decks.

As a solo who pays 200% for a Veranda, the difference in price is significant, and the Lanai still offers access to fresh air, light, and IMO a better view.

There will be double glass doors leading out to the balcony that fold open to completely open the balcony to the room. At the balcony railing, there is a large window that can be raised to make the balcony an interior space.

enhance

WOW!!! That is really attractive. Thanks for providing the picture. I'm intrigued (y)

As a solo who pays 200% for a Veranda, the difference in price is significant, and the Lanai still offers access to fresh air, light, and IMO a better view.

I think for a solo the lanais are the perfect compromise - space and price wise. I recently did an inside as a solo, while my sister and friend chose a lanai on the Veendam, and did not like the confined inside cabin feeling at all. A lanai to me, when cost effective for solo travel, is open to ship's activities, people watching, meeting and greeting right from your very own cozy lounge chair perch. My sister and friend loved it, but they were pulling the suit cases out from under their beds all the time for more incabin storage

After seeing their experience, I personally would feel very cramped with two people in a lanai. Same with the inside cabin I had - fine for one person to move about, but it would be a stretch for two. Maybe HAL should also market the lanais as "deluxe solos".

We really like the view: 180 degrees. You get full-size deck chairs to stretch out on (I think you have to get something bigger than a Verandah cabin to get a deck that big on HAL). It's nice seeing folks on the deck: we saw several events with people circling the ship, along with groups of walkers and others putting on the miles.

I had a lanai on Veendam a few years back and I can tell you for sure there was NO sign of any kind saying not to leave (prop) the slider open.

I knew NOT to do it due to discussions here, but for someone who does not know, it could quite easily happen. And HAL could go a long way to preventing that lack of knowledge if they would include that piece of information in the letter that accompanies the special slider key card.

I don't recall seeing anything about not propping the door, nor did we get anything other than a pair of white, unmarked keycards fo come in from the deck. There were the small signs about the deck chairs being reserved, but that was it.