Best Month for Alaska

patross

July. Best chance at good weather overall. However is weather is a concern to you, Alaska may not be your first choice. If you are determined to just move on no matter what Mom Nature throws at you, they you will LOVE Alaska. It is way beyond what you can even imagine.

Go to the Alaska port board, lots of great people there.

Or 19th year in Alaska in in the planning stages already. :D

Alaska weather is a crap shoot. We went the last week of July this summer and the weather was perfect. The weather the following week (in August) was perfect too. Early in July was a bit chilly; last week was chilly. But realize Alaska weather can vary greatly, even in the summer.

We've been twice....one the first of July (weather was so so) and this year the end of July (weather perfect) but it could have been the opposite.

It's a magical place. Layer your clothing and you'll be fine. I'd go back tomorrow (literally) in a heartbeat!

forst off go to the Alaskan boards. .you will learn so much. .second i was was in alaska for 10 days went from 55-seward- to 70 plus in ketchikan. our sea day was like being in warm waters with snow on the mt. i was there June 29th thri July 9th.

We were in Alaska in mid August.... the weather was livable but we did not have a day without rain... layers are the key for sure and some kind of waterproof material is a must.... actually now that I think about it the only day we did not have rain was when we approached the College Glaciers....

We have cruised to Alaska on Celebrity four times, including just a couple weeks ago on Infinity out of Seattle (seven years after our first cruise to Alaska on Infinity out of Vancouver). As has been noted, the weather is truly unpredictable. You may get tons of sun, or none. Three of our cruises were in August, but the other one, late June/early July, was my favorite because there was more scenery visible while actually on the move (I am among the few hang-out-on-deck-and-just-watch-the-water-go-by types) - it's lighter later, and there's more snow left on the mountains that are along the southern stretches of the route. - T

Plan long in advance in Alaska. Do your homework and you will have a much smoother trip. Don't let the cost brush you back, who know when you will go back. Do what you REALLY want on your first trip. If you love it like so many of us, you will have time to really explore on your many repeat trips.:D

We only go to Alaska in May (least likely month to have rain) . This May we did 11 days of cruising & 11 dayws of land travel from Seward to Fairbanks .We had fabulous weather & very very little rain . Temps ranged from low 70s to 83 in Fairbanks .This was our 4th trip .

As has been stated, the weather is unpredictable. We heard they had 31 straight days of rain in some parts of Alaska this summer. I think you need to "be Alaskan" about it and adjust to whatever you get. We sailed August 20th and had pretty good weather. Just one day of total rain. We were in Denali National Park at the end of August and she had all her Fall colors looking GORGEOUS!!! They said that's hard to plan though because it is a VERY short time that the colors are that way. It was a bit early this year too.

Alaska is beautiful, the weather is unpredictable. It is cooler than you might be used to than your summer at home. Embrace the experience, whatever it turns out to be and you will have fun!

Layers! Rain gear! Waterproof shoes! These are a must in my opinion.

they have umbrellas on board that you can borrow.

Not that this has anything to do with the weather, but GOOD BINOCULARS are an ABSOLUTE MUST for Alaska!!!!

We went July 30th through August 6th... perfect weather. Only one sea day of fog.

When we were there it was end of the season of the Salmon spawning. We already saw some dead salmon and were told that it really smells bad in Ketchikan when they all die...

So, a hands-down vote for the second half of July/very early August :D

See some pictures of our perfect weather at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1254858

Enjoy planning! It is a great cruise to take!

If you are talking between July or August the weather is close enough that I'd not worry about the weather aspects. I think a larger thing to think about is what you are planning excursion wise; fishing ( what kind of fish ), fish watching, helicopter touring/landing or bear watching.

For those activities beginning of July or end of August can make or break the excursions.

As to weather you'll find people that had "prefect" weather in May as well as September and those that got rain every port day in July. Its meaningless to ask specifically. Both months will be among the warmest but neither should be considered the driest of the summer months.

Go prepared for rain and hope for the best

We are planning to go to Alaska on the Infinity next summer, 2011. For those of you that have cruised there, when is the best month weather wise, July or August? Those are the only months we are able to cruise.

In 2001 we took a cruise from Vancouver to Alaska on Celebrity's Infinity (when it was a new ship). The cruise was during the first week in August and we spent a few days in Vancouver before it. It was pouring while we were in Vancouver but we had some sun every day during the cruise, even though it rained on most days.

Next year we are taking a land/cruise package on RCCL's Radiance of the Seas. The cruise begins on June 3 but its land portion starts during the last week of May. We picked that time because we heard that if you do the land portion late May/early June you will probably get to see a lot more animals. We were also advised that in early June the weather might be cooler but it is less likely to rain.

Thank you everyone for all the info. I really got alot of good tips from all of you!

To throw one more into the mix . . . we went on Infinity August 13 of this year . . . we had 75 - 80 degrees every day with clear skies. Except for about 2 hours in Skagway when it rained, otherwise PERFECT. The locals were even complaining about how hot it was. :eek:

We researched a lot and had no concept of "layers" until we got there -- it can change in a heartbeat and we were glad to have everything from shorts and t-shirts to fleece. There's just no real way to know for sure --- just be prepared for anything.

And the Infinity's a great ship - you're going to have a fantastic trip. If you haven't thought about it already, DEFINITELY get an aft cabin. And order breakfast from room service every day. Only way to go. :D

To throw one more into the mix . . . we went on Infinity August 13 of this year . . . we had 75 - 80 degrees every day with clear skies. Except for about 2 hours in Skagway when it rained, otherwise PERFECT. The locals were even complaining about how hot it was. :eek:

We researched a lot and had no concept of "layers" until we got there -- it can change in a heartbeat and we were glad to have everything from shorts and t-shirts to fleece. There's just no real way to know for sure --- just be prepared for anything.

And the Infinity's a great ship - you're going to have a fantastic trip. If you haven't thought about it already, DEFINITELY get an aft cabin. And order breakfast from room service every day. Only way to go. :D

Oh, and I forgot to mention . . . we really liked mid-August because there were fewer kids (sorry to those of you w/ kids . . . just a personal preference. Your children are, of course, perfect and I'm sure sharing a ship with them is a dream. It's OTHER people's kids . . . ) AND, more importantly, the end-of-season sales were in full swing and we bought a lot of stuff (souvenirs, t-shirts, etc.) for 50% or more off.

Archived