What to do in Maui (Lahaina), Hawaii??

What tours does the ship offer?

That will give you a good idea.

We have been to Lahaina twice on a cruise and have yet to make it to shore. Its a tender port and is open to sea swells.

We did a day trip from HNL. once We flew over,stunning coastline, and then had a mini van tour .

Lahaina has a big fig tree ( like extremely enormous ) so make sure you get a pic of yourself beside it:D

From what I have heard by the time you are tendered ashore, theres really only enough time for a walk around the town before heading back. Depends on how long you get ashore.

I love Maui. We used to stay there frequently in Kihei. Are you staying overnight? If so you could take an early morning drive up to the dormant volcano, Haleakala to watch the sunrise. It is 3055 metres above sea level so make sure you dress warmly as it is very cold up there before the sun comes up no matter what time of the year.

There is also a small whaling museum in Lahaina which I found interesting. It was free but I'm not sure if it still is.

There is the road to Hana as well which is a very winding road that leads to lovely swimming holes and black sand beaches. Are you going to the big island as well? You will see black sand beaches on the Kona side there.

Bit of trivia. Keith Williams designed the shopping area on Hamilton Island to look like the waterfront area of Lahaina.

Regards Elaine.

In Lahaina, you can spend time either shopping along the waterfront, or eating lunch in the restaurants over the water - I think my favourite is The Fish Shop. When you get off the tender, turn left and just keep walking a couple of blocks. Not expensive and a lovely spot.

If you go past the large tree, across the road there is a mall of sorts. Through to the back there is the local bus stops. For a small amount you can take a bus to Whalers which is a small mall right next to ocean beach. Most of the chains have hotels here. Good spot to check out if you are ever thinking of going back for a land stay.

Are you staying overnight? If so, don't miss Warren and Annabelle's magic show. It's not at all what you think. It's absolutely wonderful, and sells out nightly. You can read reviews on TripAdviser about it. Also, we ate at a place called Aloha Mixed Plate. It is at the north end of Front Street. It would be quite a walk for you but the bus or taxi service would easily get you there. There are all kinds of shops and restaurants all along Front Street ranging from unique to chains like Bubba Gump's, Ruths Chris, Hard Rock Cafe. We opt for more local fare. Also good was Lahaina Fish Company. Don't miss the huge banyan tree in the park, the Baldwin Home Museum (across from banyan tree on Front St.). If you have time the trip to see the Iao Needle is spectacular. Whaler's Village is a unique shopping center with great restaurants and a whaling museum. It is located north of Lahaina in the middle of several resorts. At one time Lahaina had as many as 500 ships docking! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

We pre-booked and took a whale watching cruise with Pacific Whale Foundation Eco-Adventures, which was great, but depends if you´re there at the right time of year

Sandy in Spain

Good suggestions above. We had no problems tendering ashore. The town is easy flat walking with lots of shops, bars and restaurants. We had lunch at Kimo's a couple of blocks north on Front St (main street) and the Mai Tar Bar is supposed to be good not far away.

Very easy to catch the bus to Whalers where there are also some nice beach side restaurants and a small whaling museum.

We loved Maui - much better that choked up Waikiki.

We returned for 5 days and took a Helicopter ride around the island and over the volcano. Great trip but don't bother buying the DVD that they make of your trip. My videos I took were far better quality.

Be aware that if you venture to the other side of the island or to the south, that the road is single lane and often has accidents that can close the road for hours. This happened to us and the people on our shuttle almost missed the ship. Motto - take the ship's tours if venturing away from town.

Good suggestions above. We had no problems tendering ashore. The town is easy flat walking with lots of shops, bars and restaurants. We had lunch at Kimo's a couple of blocks north on Front St (main street) and the Mai Tar Bar is supposed to be good not far away.

Very easy to catch the bus to Whalers where there are also some nice beach side restaurants and a small whaling museum.

We returned for 5 days and took a Helicopter ride around the island and over the volcano. Great trip but don't bother buying the DVD that they make of your trip. My videos I took were far better quality.

Be aware that if you venture to the other side of the island or to the south, that the road is single lane and often has accidents that can close the road for hours. This happened to us and the people on our shuttle almost missed the ship. Motto - take the ship's tours if venturing away from town.

I have heard how great the scenery in on the Road to Hana, but perhaps need to rethink how we see this part of the island, the ship's tour might be best in case of delays.:D

I have heard how great the scenery in on the Road to Hana, but perhaps need to rethink how we see this part of the island, the ship's tour might be best in case of delays.:D

R2H can be done privately with several operators - check out the Hawaii threads but I would do it only if overnighting and on day one, otherwise take ships tour in this case.

R2H can be done privately with several operators - check out the Hawaii threads but I would do it only if overnighting and on day one, otherwise take ships tour in this case.

Thanks for the info, I will check it out.:D

We were there for whale season...whales playing all around the ship. We did a whale watch tour which was pretty disappointing...I had a better view on my balcony. The ambience around the huge fig tree is lovely, nice market, museum, music...lovely.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Cassamanda, you seem to have a good knowlege of hawaii. we are cruising on solstice October 2104. We plan to leave about a week before the cruise and stay at either Kauai or Maui for a few days, then Waikiki for a few days. If you do not mind me asking. What are your thoughts on Kauai versus Maui and would it be worthwhile for about 4 nights or should we just stay at Waikiki for 7 nights?

Cassamanda, you seem to have a good knowlege of hawaii. we are cruising on solstice October 2104. We plan to leave about a week before the cruise and stay at either Kauai or Maui for a few days, then Waikiki for a few days. If you do not mind me asking. What are your thoughts on Kauai versus Maui and would it be worthwhile for about 4 nights or should we just stay at Waikiki for 7 nights?

I just realised your typo and thought WOW, and I thought I planned ahead.:D

Is Lahaina your first port of call in US?

If so you might just want to walk around the town. I was there earlier this year on Solstice and it was our first port in US and customs and Immigration was terrible. Most did not clear until after 3:00pm. Luckily I did not have anything booked until the early evening as we stayed until midnight. People were complaining and had to cancel tours and hired cars.

Just something to be aware of.

Chez

Is Lahaina your first port of call in US?

If so you might just want to walk around the town. I was there earlier this year on Solstice and it was our first port in US and customs and Immigration was terrible. Most did not clear until after 3:00pm. Luckily I did not have anything booked until the early evening as we stayed until midnight. People were complaining and had to cancel tours and hired cars.

Just something to be aware of.

Chez

No, we are doing the Ensenada to Hawaii cruise followed by the transpacific to Sydney. Hilo will be the first port so immigration will be there so no issues time wise. we have 2 days at Lahaina on the first cruise and then another day on the second. We have nothing thing planned as we were going to go ashore and see what took our fancy. Although I do like the road to Hana tour it seems quite a long time, and will eat up a lot of the day. Probably only good for our first day there.:D

Archived