How good is the Infinity?

supersecdd

Read reviews. Infinity has the same plan as the other M class ships. It has been solsticized. I sailed on the Infinity last spring. I had a nice cruise in spite of the problems with the norovirus. The first few days were hectic with the clean up. I prefer the s class ships or the Century.

well to tell the truth I was on the Infinity last year it was my 2nd Celebrity cruise (Horizon being my first) I had pumped up my wife about how great Celebrity was and this was our balcony.IMG_0117.JPG

Our next cruise is on the Reflection and for the future it is going to be newer or fully renovated ships

As read on other boards the whole Millenium class was build a trifle " sloopy" so to speak. They are great ships esp. now that they are redone and in Solstice Style, I liked the old style, but I also love the Solsticesiced version. The rust on the balcony well- looks not very pretty- but those ships sail year round in salt water and sometimes - it is totaly unapropriate of course, but it can happen that it rains on cruises- also not good for the outdoor part of the ship!

Edited by Germancruiser

I will be starting a thread later today "live from the Infinity" to blog about our transatlantic cruise from harwich which begins today...as we sail for two weeks to Florida. Hopefully it will give a balanced views of the good and not so good. Post any ship specific questions on that thread and I'll try to answer.

GH

well to tell the truth I was on the Infinity last year it was my 2nd Celebrity cruise (Horizon being my first) I had pumped up my wife about how great Celebrity was and this was our balcony.IMG_0117.JPG

Our next cruise is on the Reflection and for the future it is going to be newer or fully renovated ships

We have done three cruises on Infinity in the past two years. We love the ship. The entertainment, service and food is excellent.

Yes, you may find some signs of age, be we saw few examples of rust like in the photo.

In any event, a little rust on your balcony is inconsequential to having a great cruise.

We have just returned from our 12 night Immersive wine cruise on Infinity, and it was our first time on an M class ship, as our previous 4 celebrity cruises have all been on S class.

We thought that although the ship is obviously older, it was in very good condition, and didn't feel at all 'dated'

We do prefer S class however, as we feel that there is more choice of bars, dining venues and more public space. We did feel that the shows were'nt quite as good either, but as the performers had just joined the ship, I'm sure it was just because they were new.

We would cruise on M class again, but it really would depend on the ports etc.

Lou

I hardly think a little rust on the balcony gives the OP an answer as to whether the ship is good or not. Geez. If that was representative of the upkeep of the entire ship I would agree, but I seriously doubt that it was. Correct me if I am wrong. I don't want to sail on a rundown ship either but a bit of rust here and there on the outside of the ship?? If this is so onerous I suspect few ships would meet your standards after they have been at sea for more than a few weeks.

As has been said, all the M class ships have the same design and therefore generally the same options for entertainment, so if another M class did not satisfy then this one likely will not either. Many of us love the M class ships as we feel they are more 'classic', more comfortable in design (better placed elevators, smaller, more intimate, more classically designed bars like Rendevous for dancing rather than the ridiculous concept of using the foyer), and of course for the ultimate in relaxation, the T-pool.

I hope this is the exception! We have sailed Infinity and other Celebrity ships and on occasion found little issues and they seemed to be always painting to maintain the ship.

I hope this is not becoming more and more.

Infinity has helped us create some of our top 10 memories. At least 2 of our top 10!

We spent 21 days on the Infinity in the May/June timeframe and I thought she was in very good shape! I would book her again without hesitation! Rust on a balcony is a fairly common sight on older ships but it certainly wouldn't keep me away!

That was my point it is an older ship and while I only have my experience on the

Horizon to go by the Infinity. The Infinity had been Solsticized less than 6 months before and I had hoped that they would have gone thru and done some cleanup and repairs. The bathroom are just seemed tired. If I am going to cruise in the future I want a ship that is newer or has been redone entirely. For my upcoming TA the price for the Reflection was a little more than the other Solstice Class ships and I think it it because it is newer.

If I am getting a big discount on a cruise then I don't mind a little wear and tear.

Maybe because the Horizon was such a long time ago they had more funds and staff, but like I said every time we were in port they were painting the hull from rub marks. There is no way the captain would have accepted rust on his ship. From looking at the rust on our balcony it seemed to have been there for a while looking at the carpet.

If you enjoy the smaller ship and lots of people enjoy every ship that is afloat in all of the fleets to tell the truth.

For me I would spend a couple of dollars more for newer, ship.

• 3 weeks later...
We are thinking of booking on the Infinity for next year. Is it a good ship or is it too old? How is the entertainment? We didn't like the entertainment on Constellation and loved it every night on Eclipse.

Debbie

Florida

Well, we will see. We booked it.

We were on the Infinity in March, '13 and will sail her again next year.

We are itinerary driven and it just happened that we will reunite with the favorite M class.

We were in one of the new deck 11 aft cabins but are sailing into the English Channel and North Sea so opted for a more mid ship location.

The ship was in fine shape and rust does happen but the crew was never without a paint brush. We don't expect the 14 months of additional wear and tear to be a problem because we have always found the cabins on Celebrity to be as clean as possible, far far better than a couple of other lines we have sailed.

I am hoping for a different captain however. A smile goes a long way and he didn't have one to share.

We've just returned from a TA aboard the Infinity, our first time on an M-class ship. As I noted on another thread, we had a very enjoyable crossing; the staff and crew were fantastic; nearly everyone went out of his or her way to ensure that people were having a great time. Our servers, sommelier, and cabin attendants could not have been better. The Captain was very visible, even more so than the Cruise Director (Pete Baker), who I thought was just going through the motions. For the most part, the guest performers were incredibly talented and entertaining and we enjoyed their shows. However, after about 10 PM or so, there was generally not much going on -- a Celebrity stereotype come to life. One of our shipmates called it a "snooze cruise." Perhaps this is because it was a TA, with the oldest demographics of any cruise I've ever been on (including our other Celebrity TA).

In terms of comparison with an S-class ship, I liked the fact that there are three elevator banks on the Infinity. I liked the pool better on the Infinity (it seemed longer to me, I could actually swim laps, but perhaps I'm not remembering the Eclipse pool property) and I liked the comfortable banquette-like seating in the theatre. I suppose I'm in the minority, however, in preferring the S-class solarium to the M-class (indoor) T-pool.

For me, the biggest physical drawback of the Infinity is the old-style design of the buffet ("a high school cafeteria without the trays" as one person aboard put it), and the fact that some of the buffet is so physically separated from the rest that I might not have discovered it for days had I not read about it here on CC. The bad design ensured that the buffet always felt crowded; we really hated going up there, and ate more breakfasts and lunch in the MDR than we ever have. (I also thought that the buffet was not very well run, with many stations not even open for half an hour after full breakfast was supposed to have started. This contributed to the crowding.)

Having sailed on the Eclipse and found it to be a stunning ship, I was a little apprehensive about sailing on the Infinity given some of the things I've read on here about M-class ships, but overall I think the Infinity is in good condition. One big exception was the condition of the tile and grout in our cabin bathroom, with visible mildew in the shower (gross!) and years of ground in dirt in the floor. I posted a thread about this and some photos at the following link (note that others have commented on the thread that ours was not the only cabin with this problem):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1942307

We did not let this spoil our trip, but it's a serious maintenance issue that Celebrity needs to address (and we noted this on our comment card).

Your comment about Pete Baker is disappointing to hear. I hope everything isOK with him. We sailed with him on Solstice last year from Barcelona all the way home to Sydney and loved him. However, we had a very enthusiastic activities team and they seemed to gel extremely well together. I am sorry that you did not get to see Peter at his best.