First time with kids

subieroo

Going on the Magic over spring break which will be our fourth cruise. This time will be much different as we are bringing our two children, ages 4(girl) and 8(boy).

Is there anything we need to know about bringing them or any tips anyone has to keep them happy the whole time.

Get them registered in the kids club on the first evening of embarkation. There, they will have lots to do--and with other kids their age. If they don't like the kids club, you can take them to the sports square on decks 11 and 12. Up there, there is an awesome mini golf that is spread over two decks. Of course, there is the pool on Lido. Oh...and the waterworks is really great--two different water slides as well as other water features to excite any kid.

Here's hoping you and your family have a really great cruise. Bon Voyage!

Going on the Magic over spring break which will be our fourth cruise. This time will be much different as we are bringing our two children, ages 4(girl) and 8(boy).

Is there anything we need to know about bringing them or any tips anyone has to keep them happy the whole time.

We used to watch for build a bear and they loved having a new stuffed animal early in the cruise.

They also love a fixed seating time so that they get to know their waiters, who tend to spoil them rotten. If they have a routine, like always drink milk at dinner, just let the staff know and they will have it handy when you arrive. Also, we asked for a fruit plate to be ready so they had something other than bread to snack on. The staff was excellent about bringing their dinner as it was ready and had it timed so they were getting dessert when we were ready to order ours. That was right about 7 pm on the mark. One parent would walk the kids and sign them into camp while the other ordered coffee and dessert. Then, when they returned, we had a nice evening to ourselves while the kids did their thing in camp. Camp is really helpful, especially in close quarters so everyone gets some time to themselves, mom and dad included.

We always have them back in the cabin in time to rest for a while before they need to shower for dinner. They always have their electronic device of the day, books, and some smaller toys like cars, a small ball, figurines and coloring materials. They each carried on their own backpack with their personal play toys.

If you are doing beachy things it is fun to send them one of the beach toys sets so that it is there when you board...that way you don't have to lug it around. A $30 well spent, IMHO.

Our 4 yo dd ended up loving camp carnival. We also had some mommy daughter fun at tea time. We made sure to have a few small snacks that she liked back in the room, just enough to prevent a melt down if she was hungry while we were getting ready for dinner. Otherwise making sure we had some of the just in case kids meds on hand, and sea sick stuff if you aren't sure if your kids get motion sickness. Also, as already suggested, a small toy or electronic that the kids like to keep them occupied.

I also suggest not planning every moment of the cruise. Go with the flow and have fun!

I like to take advantage of the kids eating with the club at least a couple of nights (or maybe most of them). It's like the hubby and I had multiple date nights in one week.

I'll drop them off at the club on port days for a little while I get packed up for shore excursions. Pick them up on my way off the ship.

I bought a high quality, collapsible umbrella stroller (Macclaren). Has a basket underneath, reclines, collapses very easily and has a shoulder strap. Bought it for our sons first cruise when he was 2. He's 9 and I will taking it for my daughter who is 5. Sometimes she doesn't have stamina on shore excursions. Fits under the bed.

Take snacks for shore excursions. You never know if you have to wait or they don't like the food.

Our last cruise we had our laptop so I brought a few movies for the dvd drive. Good for a little downtime in the room.

Cruising is the best vacation with kids. If you take advantage of the camp that you have already paid for, EVERYONE gets a vacation.

ENJOY!

My ds now 10, has been on several cruises and loves it and camp. every night before we fall asleep, we take his schedule from camp (you are given it for the entire week) and we highlight (i always bring highlighters-different colors for each person) what he wants to do the next day.

We also bring a board game ie travel yahtzee or something like that, to play and wind down in our cabin at night before bed, waiting in the airport etc.

there will be plenty to keep them happy. the build a bear is great, and priced just right as well. ds still enjoys getting a new dog lol.

we have dinner as a family every night except i let him pick one or two nights to eat with camp if he chooses.

once, we had ice cream for breakfast. that's a huge treat for him because i usually don't allow junk food lol.

have fun, don't stress. The camp counselors are great!

Make sure they have some down time. It is really exciting for them too and between the sun, fun, all you can eat ice cream, food on demand, late nights and an overload of the senses it can get overwhelming. On our first cruise I was shocked when my 6 year old had a complete and total melt down. He is always the most laid back kid. We went back to the cabin and I made him take a nap while I cuddled with him. Completely out of the norm. After that I made sure to stick closer to their schedule at home and give them breaks to just relax. We all have such great times on board. They prefer cruising to every other vacation we take.