Terrorism

ubsueg

Booked for early August Viking Budapest to Amsterdam. We Have Vikings cancel for any reason insurance. Have the recent terrorist attacks made you feel like you should reconsider travel to Europe at this time? Just looking for other more experienced traveler opinions. This is our first river cruise. Thanks

Booked for early August Viking Budapest to Amsterdam. We Have Vikings cancel for any reason insurance. Have the recent terrorist attacks made you feel like you should reconsider travel to Europe at this time? Just looking for other more experienced traveler opinions. This is our first river cruise. Thanks

Good morning,:) I am flying to Amsterdam in 2 weeks on a cruise called

"TULIP TIME":D....my itinerary has The Netherlands and Belgium on it.

This is my first river cruise too and I have no plans to cancel it. Everyone

has their own opinions and feelings but for me? Not going on this trip is

not an option......first, I am really excited:D and it has been booked since

July and foremost? I am not letting those idiots/a$$holes win.......

My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

Ubsueg, they are very personal choices, hard to say what to do to other people, but as those who have already written to you, I write my thoughts.

Travel only if you are quiet, to be able fully enjoy your holiday, but if it has to be lived with fear better not leave.

I, speaking for myself, I will not to give in to terrorism, I do not want to deprive us of our freedom, and as long as I can continue to travel.

A heartfelt thoughts to victims and their families ....

The State department has issued an alert for all of Europe. It is not a warning but an alert. "U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using mass transportation. Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid crowded places. Exercise particular caution during religious holidays and at large festivals or events."

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/europe-travel-alert.html

We have plans to be in Europe in May and again in October this year. It will not stop our travel. But as with all our travel we will be aware of our surroundings and cautious.

Considering enrolling in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) https://step.state.gov/step/

I have a cruise in July. My feeling is that terrorism will not go away for many years. So what is the alternative?

I have a cruise in July. My feeling is that terrorism will not go away for many years. So what is the alternative?

I just ignore it and keep traveling.

Driving to the airport or just living in the USA is still more risky than traveling to Europe from a statistical standpoint, but I appreciate that this is more about how people perceive risk than about the reality, so it is always an individual decision...

Two months from now we'll be in France for a 2 week river cruise (the Seine and the Rhone) booked last summer. After the Paris attacks we didn't even consider cancelling nor are we considering it now.

Given that we lived in Brussels for 3 1/2 years in the mid-1990s and I am very familiar with Zaventem Airport, I must admit that this attack hit me particularly hard. But I know, from watching the Pentagon burn on 9/11 from my office about 1 mile away and living through that aftermath in Washington DC, that the people of Brussels and Belgium will need our emotional and financial (with our tourist dollars) support just as those in Paris and France.

It is a sad commentary on the state of the world but I agree with other posters that altering our lives is seen as success by the terrorists. That is not a perception I want to convey.

Edited by capriccio

I agree with the above posters. If we cancel, the terrorists get what they want---for all of us to live in fear of them.

We leave for Europe for our Rhine Getaway cruise (with several days in Switzerland first) in about 3 and 1/2 weeks. The week before we leave, we have to travel to Wash. DC for several days. To be honest, I think I am more concerned about safety in DC than in Europe!

For all who decide to continue their travels, have a safe and wonderful journey. And to those who decide to cancel at this time, I hope you will be able to reschedule your travels at a later date, when you can feel a bit safer. This is all such a personal choice; there is no right or wrong decision.

"U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using mass transportation. Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid crowded places. Exercise particular caution during religious holidays and at large festivals or events."

Basically how we have approached every trip since London during "The Troubles." Off to Paris in five days . . .

We have had 2 terrorist incidents in California and neither had to do with travel. The San Bernardino attack was at an employee Christmas luncheon-who would have worried about that ahead of time? The other was on the UC Merced campus in a classroom. It appears that we need to be on alert everywhere because of the way these terrorists operate. The State Department alert is good advice that should be followed no matter where we go.

I'll be flying to Atlanta in a few days and while there I plan to use MARTA, their light rail system. Has it occurred to me that there could be an incident? Yes but I'm not changing my plans and as Lois so creatively said, let them win.

That said, each has to decide for themselves how this impacts their plans. No one answer applies to everyone.

To those traveling, stay safe and come back to share your travels with all of us.

To those dealing with the aftermath of terrorism, my heart goes out to you and yours.

I am more worried about the issues with Visas that the US is imposing on European travelers, and the threat that Europe may do the same to us if the US doesn't let up. We all may have to get a travel visa to go to Europe if this does not get retracted. Something to think about for those of us traveling to Europe this summer!

https://www.lawfareblog.com/thinking-travelling-europe-summer

The State department has issued an alert for all of Europe. It is not a warning but an alert. "U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using mass transportation. Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid crowded places. Exercise particular caution during religious holidays and at large festivals or events."

This is exactly what I planned to do! Be vigilant and aware of my surroundings. If something gives me pause - I'll move to a different place. If something makes me really suspicious - I'll follow the advice of the NY/NJ police - if you see something, say something. I'll find someone who looks in authority and mention it.

I refuse to let them win - I'm going on with my life and my river cruise in August. Oh - but I am going to sign up for the Smart Traveler program

Edited by Cyber Kat

We leave for Europe for our Rhine Getaway cruise (with several days in Switzerland first) in about 3 and 1/2 weeks. The week before we leave, we have to travel to Wash. DC for several days. To be honest, I think I am more concerned about safety in DC than in Europe!

True - we have enough home grown nuts to deal with! I love outside NYC and visit frequently. Until I retired last year, I drove 50 miles on Rte 80 through north Jersey every day - you want to talk about taking your life in your hands :) I won't say, I'm fearless, but we take risks getting up each day. Daily routines are just as dangerous, but because we're used to them, they're not so scary.

I will probably be a little more alert to my surroundings and vigilant - but I'm going!

We recently got up the courage to travel to Egypt and will stick close to our cruise group. However, we dread telling my 93-year-old mother, who worries about the slightest things anyway. Waiting until closer to our 2017 departure.

I am not letting those idiots/a$$holes win.......

My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

I am with Lois on this. I will not be intimidated into not traveling to Europe, which is my favorite destination. This is not the first time terrorism has struck there. I was in France during the subway bombings in July of 1995 (attending the French Open there) and in London right after the 2005 bombings. I went to NYC ten days after the towers came down as I felt the need to show my support to clients, family and friends that live there.

We leave in 3 weeks for France and then again for a Danube cruise in October. We are just recently back from Italy.

We just booked another river cruise for next fall with friends and may take another trip next spring, depending on a few things here at home with family.

I am not allowing them to change my enjoyment of life and travel.

Edited by caviargal

My Girl Guide Company was on an army base during the Irish troubles I've had my car searched more times than I can count. We were in Paris at a very nice restraunt when the French football team got through to an important soccer semi final the staff were great but more interested in the score etc so got talking to some American customers who declared that Paris was the closest they would get to the UK whilst the troubles were on. We were in Berlin when the wall came down, what a buzz, in South Africa when Mandela was elected President. This lot are not going to stop us going anywhere. We need to be strong and supportive. Okay British stiff upper lip and all that but all for one and one for all.

If you decide to go really enjoy your cruise but don't feel bad if you can't it's not the end of the world.

CA

Register with the state department to make your family at home feel better about knowing your status in case something happens. I suggest having a backpack in your room that you can throw a few things into in case you have to leave fast and some extra cash again just in case you have to stay in a hotel.

We recently got up the courage to travel to Egypt and will stick close to our cruise group. However, we dread telling my 93-year-old mother, who worries about the slightest things anyway. Waiting until closer to our 2017 departure.

That is a good plan. No point in upsetting her so far in advance and especially now with all that is going on and news coverage around the clock.

Made it through 9/11 NYC , Sandy Hook shooting and Charleston shooting. I will not let terrorism dictate my life. But, that's just me. Everyone needs to find their own comfort level.

Cruise Critic needs a "like" button :D