Transfer from Southampton to Heathrow

Jinnyjin

We'll be sailing into Southampton on Queen Mary 2 on 14th September. Which is the best way to get back to our car which will have been left at Heathrow? I know Cunard offer a transfer service from the ship to Heathrow. Is this the best way or are there better alternatives?

Cheapest is the direct National Express coach at around £18pp. A massive saving on Cunard's over-priced coach transfer, even though you need to add about £8 for a taxi to Southampton coach station. Best to pre-book, earliest coach departure time to aim for is about 9.30, or about 8.30 if you disembark unassisted (haul your own bags from your cabin). Journey time about 2hrs vs Cunard's approx. 90 minutes plus.

By train is complicated (taxi to So'ton central station, train to Woking station, RailAir shuttlebus from there to Heathrow), expensive at over £40 pp, and same 2 hrs total journey time as Nat Express.

By private transfer around £85 pre-booked for a saloon with the likes of http://www.smithsforairports.com or http://www.aquacars.co.uk both local & both used extensively by Cruise Critic members.

Minimum 75 mins journey time, but can be a lot longer depending on the day-of-the-week. (14 Sept is a Thursday)

Ship's transfer is to each terminal, Nat Express and RailAir shuttle is to T's 4 and 5 and to Heathrow's central bus station for Ts 1/2/3. Then it's the carpark's internal transfer.

A private transfer can of course take you direct to your long-term carpark.

Or if you've not yet booked the parking, a lot of folk park at the port and then transfer to Heathrow so that their car is in position for their return. Can be a better bet, depending on circumstances like your flight time.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

On our Cunard cruise last November (on QV), there was a free coach to Southampton train station.

It was the first time I had noticed it but it was very useful. We had a similar issue as we had flown to Rome and sailed home.

We didn't bother with Heathrow parking, I just booked a transfer from home to the airport and then got the train home.

I just emailed Smiths for transport Dover to St Pancraes train station in London to catch the Eurorail. Very quick reply, very accommodating, no fee to hold the booking. They advised me 2-2 1/2 hours depending on traffic and 144 pounds ($180 US) for 2 people one way in July. FYI

Here's another vote for Smith's for Airports! They've met us at our hotel in London or at St Pancras after the Eurostar and taken us to Soton. We've also had them pick us up in Soton and take us to Dover to board another ship and to Heathrow and Gatwick. The drivers have always been prompt, courteous, and good drivers with clean vehicles. Their pricing is less than their competitors.

Ricki

Beware Eavesway, they often service two ships at once. In November 2015, we had booked Eavesway coach, Southampton to Heathrow. Disembarked Aurora @ 8.30am, no problems, loaded up, then proceeded 200 hundred metres or so to where Arcadia had just arrived. Coach waited 3 hours with us on board, waiting for Arcadia pax to disembark and board our coach. I was not happy. Still got our flight ok @ 5pm, but an anticipated 11 am arrival @ Heathrow became a 2pm arrival @ Heathrow. Driver apologised but explained this was how the company operated - multi ship servicing for a near full coach.

I would not book Eavesway again. I would go with National Express as I have done before, much cheaper too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have cruised many times from Southampton and live in North London. for convenience I have always taken a Chauffeur car. Although it is not as cheap as a coach or the train I find it a lot easier.

As I don't like the idea of worrying about getting my luggage to the station or the coach my driver meets me at the docks right by the ship, he takes my luggage and takes me to his nice car (Usually a nice big Mercedes) and off we go, the trip normally takes about 2 hours and I find it very easy and comfortable. The company I use only supply English drivers so we often have a nice talk on the journey down. I use a firm called Harmony Cars, they have always been reliable, polite and helpful. I always feel that this is all part of my holiday and for the little extra cost I think for me it is worth it. They usually cost about £180 each way. Their number is 07976 374498 but I am sure you can find them on line.

Beware Eavesway, they often service two ships at once. In November 2015, we had booked Eavesway coach, Southampton to Heathrow. Disembarked Aurora @ 8.30am, no problems, loaded up, then proceeded 200 hundred metres or so to where Arcadia had just arrived. Coach waited 3 hours with us on board, waiting for Arcadia pax to disembark and board our coach. I was not happy. Still got our flight ok @ 5pm, but an anticipated 11 am arrival @ Heathrow became a 2pm arrival @ Heathrow. Driver apologised but explained this was how the company operated - multi ship servicing for a near full coach.I would not book Eavesway again. I would go with National Express as I have done before, much cheaper too.

Haven't eaves way been given the boot by Cunard?

P&O have certainly stopped using them.

Haven't eaves way been given the boot by Cunard?

P&O have certainly stopped using them.

Yes they have but only as a recommended company they still provide transfers but you have to pay them directly and cannot use them as part of free coach transfers..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes they have but only as a recommended company they still provide transfers but you have to pay them directly and cannot use them as part of free coach transfers..

I stand corrected, just been looking at options to get back home after our next trip from NY and Eavesway don't list Cunard sailing now..

I stand corrected, just been looking at options to get back home after our next trip from NY and Eavesway don't list Cunard sailing now..

I checked Eavesway site, they have stopped doing the Southampton - Heathrow transfer - lack of patronage.

When we disembark Adonia next year will prebook Cruise Connect Southampton - LHR. They do sometimes service two ships but on the day we disembark only one ship being serviced by Cruise Connect, that is Adonia.:cool:

• 2 months later...

B"H

We are arriving at Southampton on the same cruise (QM2) on 14 September. My sister who lives in Toronto also needs to get to Heathrow for her flight home. Are you interested in sharing a transfer with her? (Smiths looks like a good option)

You can contact me directly on dad dot oppenheimer stop @ stop gmail stop dot com