Fun (or bad??) Idea for Family Formal Night?

dana.carter17

Hey Cruisers! I need some feedback on a formal night idea...

We are cruising soon with 2 toddlers, 2 grandparents, my husband, and myself. I thought a cute, tongue-in-cheek idea for a formal night would be to have all of us (including the kiddos) wearing Tuxedo T shirts/"Gown" T shirts. Thoughts? (For your mind's eye - erase all beer cans and drunken smiles - lol!!) We would be put together and cute, but the guys would probably be in jeans or khakis and the gals in skirts. I think having a multi-generational group in these outfits would be cute, but I don't know if others would be offended by my sense of humor. Thoughts, please!

ETA: Cruiseline is Royal Caribbean, and it's one of the Dreamworks Experience ships with Dreamworks characters and events.

Edited by dana.carter17

Hi Dana:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

There is an entire board on Cruise Critic dedicated to Royal Caribbean. I would suggest that you post on that board this item plus any and al RCI specific questions.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=83

Keith

But put on your extra thick skin t-shirt before you post. They're pretty uptight over in the Royal forum about Formal nights.;)

But put on your extra thick skin t-shirt before you post. They're still pretty uptight over in the Royal forum.;)

Hahahaha :) Well I certainly don't want to ruin anyone's cruises with a little family t-shirt fun. Maybe I'll just get the babies some cute tuxedo onesies and leave it at that ;)

SaveSave

Hahahaha :) Well I certainly don't want to ruin anyone's cruises with a little family t-shirt fun. Maybe I'll just get the babies some cute tuxedo onesies and leave it at that ;)

SaveSave

Just the babies will be better. My grandsons recently wore one and I don’t think it will look nice for me on formal nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it's a great idea....just not on formal night. If you do it that way one night, make sure and get a group photo. On one of our cruises during formal night we were all dressed formal and one of the photo areas had a bunch of "goofy" props we all had. It is one of our favorite photos.

We are cruising soon with 2 toddlers, 2 grandparents, my husband, and myself. I thought a cute, tongue-in-cheek idea for a formal night would be to have all of us (including the kiddos) wearing Tuxedo T shirts/"Gown" T shirts. Thoughts? (For your mind's eye - erase all beer cans and drunken smiles - lol!!) We would be put together and cute, but the guys would probably be in jeans or khakis and the gals in skirts. I think having a multi-generational group in these outfits would be cute, but I don't know if others would be offended by my sense of humor. Thoughts, please!

ETA: Cruiseline is Royal Caribbean, and it's one of the Dreamworks Experience ships with Dreamworks characters and events.

So many others have ruined the whole concept of "formal," why not be remembered as the family that put the "final nail in the coffin."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A t-shirt is a t-shirt regardless of what logo is on it. You will all just look incredibly stupid and show your lack of taste is you try to pull off that stunt. Cute - NO WAY!!!

DON

Hi Dana:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

There is an entire board on Cruise Critic dedicated to Royal Caribbean. I would suggest that you post on that board this item plus any and al RCI specific questions.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=83

Keith

Bad idea, iMO>

A T shirt is just that no matter what if any image is on it. Not a good idea for dinner in dining room. Remember, you asked our opinion. :)T shirts do not belong in the dining room at night espeically on a formal night. :eek:

Edited by sail7seas

So Formal night would be T shirt and Jeans? What then is suitable for casual wear? :loudcry:

OP, have you considered what you will do if you are all gturned away form the dining room and they refuse to seat you?

So Formal night would be T shirt and Jeans? What then is suitable for casual wear? :loudcry:

I hope you give this 'fun idea' more thought. Tired hungry toddlers does not sound like fun.