San Juan Forts

BSBRose21

• 2 weeks later...
Bumping this; hope more people will respond. I can't find anything on their facebook page, but I don't have facebook, so it's hard for me to know where to look.

Even without having an account you can go to Facebook and search something like NPS (for National Park service) San Juan. Or do a google search, which would take you here, https://www.nps.gov/saju/index.htm (which doesn’t seem to be updated at all), and click on the FB link.

They don’t indicate there the Morro opening though.

Today we explored El Moro Fort. No visible damage from the hurricanes. You could spend an entire day just at the fort. We learned allot about PR history by just roaming around and reading the signs. There is also a video that tells you about the history and how PR came to be part of the USA. There were kids playing with kites, it was lovely seeing the locals enjoying the grounds. The fort and wall took 17 years to build. Amazing.

Not allot of tourist so get the word out that Old San Juan and the forts are ready and waiting.

Today we explored El Moro Fort. No visible damage from the hurricanes. You could spend an entire day just at the fort. We learned allot about PR history by just roaming around and reading the signs. There is also a video that tells you about the history and how PR came to be part of the USA. There were kids playing with kites, it was lovely seeing the locals enjoying the grounds. The fort and wall took 17 years to build. Amazing.

Not allot of tourist so get the word out that Old San Juan and the forts are ready and waiting.

Thanks for the update. So excited to share the beautiful historic forts of San Juan with our children later this month on our pre-cruise visit to San Juan.

Upon disembarkation on 12/2, we did a cruise ship sponsored tour of the forts. They are open and not damaged. They just don't build buildings like they used to - like those old thick fort walls built as long ago as the 16th century, pretty amazing!

Upon disembarkation on 12/2, we did a cruise ship sponsored tour of the forts. They are open and not damaged. They just don't build buildings like they used to - like those old thick fort walls built as long ago as the 16th century, pretty amazing!

How was the ship sponsored tour? I was under the impression that it was very easy to do the forts on one’s own — did the tour “add value” that you wouldn’t have had otherwise?

How was the ship sponsored tour? I was under the impression that it was very easy to do the forts on one’s own — did the tour “add value” that you wouldn’t have had otherwise?

Yes, you could easily see the forts on your own. Our flight was a late afternoon departure, so it was a tour of the forts, a drive through of Old San Juan pointing out significant buildings, combined with a transfer to the airport afterwards (via Windstar). One thing I like about Windstar tours is the small size of the tours; we had 12 people in our group tour. YMMV. We were in a smaller tour bus and told that large buses could not go on some of the small streets in Old San Juan. In fact, it was suggested that in all likelihood, there would be pedestrian traffic only on some of the streets in OSJ in a couple of years.

It was an easy way to see the forts and get to the airport. They kept our luggage in the tour bus, so I guess if you did it on your own, you'll need to figure out what to do with your luggage.

Yes, you could easily see the forts on your own. Our flight was a late afternoon departure, so it was a tour of the forts, a drive through of Old San Juan pointing out significant buildings, combined with a transfer to the airport afterwards (via Windstar). One thing I like about Windstar tours is the small size of the tours; we had 12 people in our group tour. YMMV. We were in a smaller tour bus and told that large buses could not go on some of the small streets in Old San Juan. In fact, it was suggested that in all likelihood, there would be pedestrian traffic only on some of the streets in OSJ in a couple of years.

It was an easy way to see the forts and get to the airport. They kept our luggage in the tour bus, so I guess if you did it on your own, you'll need to figure out what to do with your luggage.

We will be in San Juan as a port stop, not as a departure port, so luggage won’t be an issue for us. Glad to hear that we can visit the forts on our own without “needing” a tour, per se.

How do you get to the forts from the pier? Is it a taxi ride or is it walkable?
We walked. It was uphill and hot, but doable. There were ice cream vendors that we bought from a couple times!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk