2017 XM Cruise on Rhine with AMA--which excursions do you recommend?

moondoggie

Taking AMA Prima BSL-AMS for the Rhine Christmas Markets 12/7-14. So many daily tour options! If you've taken this kind of cruise, which tours do you recommend? Port stops are Breisach, Strasbourgh, Speyer/Heidelberg (although I have lived in HB and definitely will choose the HB tour), Rudesheim, Koblenz, Koln, and then AMS.

All ideas gratefully welcomed--thank you!

Taking AMA Prima BSL-AMS for the Rhine Christmas Markets 12/7-14. So many daily tour options! If you've taken this kind of cruise, which tours do you recommend? Port stops are Breisach, Strasbourgh, Speyer/Heidelberg (although I have lived in HB and definitely will choose the HB tour), Rudesheim, Koblenz, Koln, and then AMS.

All ideas gratefully welcomed--thank you!

I loved the cathedral tour in Kolb and there is a very good German coffehaus/bakery caddy-corner to it. If it is offered, the Rudesheim coffee demonstration is fascinating (and tasty). I think that is also where I did the brandy tour. And there is a Kathy Wohlfart store there.

The castle in Koblentz was very interesting, too. And, having visited a couple Christmas markets with Ama on the Danube last year, make sure to hit those!

Have a fabulous time!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I took all of them last Christmas with AMA. The canal boat cruise in Amsterdam is a must. The tour of Strasbourg is beautiful. The center of Strasbourg is one Christmas market after another. If you can go to Requivier (sp?) it is tiny but excellent - an old European village that would make Disney green with envy. In Koln, take the general tour including the cathedral (if you haven't seen it with the reliquary of the three kings - most appropriate at Christmas time - an amazing piece of 1000 year old 'bling') and go to the Elves Christmas market (Heimat des Heinzeln sp?) in the Alte Markt, my very favorite. I've been to the Musical Museum in Rudesheim several times because I find it fascinating. The gondola ride in Rudesheim can be VERY cold in December and with little view if cloudy/foggy.

If you are spending any time precruise in AMS, please take the Lights evening canal cruise. Many artists have put works in the canal or along side. It is spectacular. We went at 6:30pm and still had time for a leisurely dinner at the Argentine steakhouse not far from the canal ride exit. Enjoy.

I agree with xmaser about Riquewihr: http://www.ribeauville-riquewihr.com/en/discover/riquewihr.htm I went there in Summer time but I am sure it is also lovely in winter. Going into a cathedral at Christmas time will always be great, if you can try and see inside Speyer's edifice briefly to compare it with Strasbourg and Cologne. But if it does not work out with going to Heidelberg do not bother. This is the elves market in Cologne: http://www.cologne.de/events/christmas-markets/old-market-christmas.html

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

In Riquewihr (thanks notamermaid for the spelling) the western entry and main street are one large Christmas market. It can be very crowded on weekends - mainly with Europeans who know a good thing when they find it. The market combines street stands with small shops. The picturesque side streets were almost empty. Check out a map before you leave. Definitely worth a visit.