Gty assignment- I am livid

jenp123

Let me start out by saying I cruise 3 or 4 times a year and normally a minimum of 14-21 day sailings and use gty rooms all of the time. I get how they work and have never had any issues with what I have been assigned. The only time I have ever asked about moving, they happily moved me to a category less than the assigned gty.

I booked a cat N and paid my single supplement. I recevied a gty room today in a solo cabin. I am livid. They said they consider it an upgrade. I am willing to go to any category of room lower then the solo room which there are lots of open room showing available to book. My only option is to pay $650 more to get an inside room back as a cat k or do a full fare upgrade for a balcony room.

They refused to downgrade me into anything which makes no sense since I got such a " wonderful upgrade". If it is such a great upgrade I'm sure there are many people willing to go into that room

I'm struggling to understand your concerns. I'm guessing this is on the Koningsdam since it's the only ship right now with solo cabins. You booked an Inside N and got an Outside OO, if I'm reading your post and the deck plans correctly. So, going from an Inside to an Outside would be great, IMO, unless one wants the total darkness of an Inside. Could you be more specific on your concerns? Which solo cabin were you assigned (some look a little longer than others)? Were you looking for a larger cabin size?

We once got an upgrade on a guaranty assignment and one of us wasn't happy. But that's what one can get when one goes with a guaranty. If not having a solo cabin was important to you, it might have been best to book a cabin category above OO or book the N cabin and mark it Do Not Upgrade. I hope you will still enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

I went to look at photos of each cabin type. The one you were given has a window..and is on the same deck almost next door to the n category you booked. It can be a little smaller but overall, it looks pretty nice to me. I would always prefer a window but maybe not you..??

Ok, I think I get why the OP is upset.

They are solo and upset they got a solo cabin as they are smaller.

Not sure if they are on the Koningsdam or Prinsendam but I think it is the Prinsendam. It and the Koningsdam are the only ones with solo cabins and I don't see "N" category for Koningsdam but I know it's on the P'dam.

Was there a special single supplement? If there was with the guarantee it might have been for a solo cabin.

Category N on the P'dam are solo cabins to the best of my knowledge and double checking the deck plans. So, the OP booked a guarantee solo cabin and is upset they have a solo cabin? I think I have that right?

Ok, I think I get why the OP is upset.

They are solo and upset they got a solo cabin as they are smaller.

Not sure if they are on the Koningsdam or Prinsendam but I think it is the Prinsendam. It and the Koningsdam are the only ones with solo cabins and I don't see "N" category for Koningsdam but I know it's on the P'dam.

Was there a special single supplement? If there was with the guarantee it might have been for a solo cabin.

Guarantees carry benefits and a risk. IIRC correctly, pricing for solo cabins is not double the price so I guess, in a way, you get what you pay for?

The gty was not for a solo room. It was for a double room with a single supplement paid.

I gave them lots of options.

-Refund my single supplement since I am in a room that cannot hold 2 people

-put me in any room u want that is meant for 2 people...i don't care if it the worst room on the ship.

-offer me some sort of upsell to move to a higher category

It would be different if the ship was sold out but there is lots of inventory. They are even willing to charge me $650 to go back down to an inside room so the inventory is there

It' the fact I paid for 2 people and am now being shoved in a room meant for 1.

Thanks for coming back and telling us that's the concern. That would tick me off, too. I'm unfamiliar with the solo cabin pricing and even solo supplements so will bow out of the conversation now since I can't add anything useful. But I will follow the thread to see what others who do have that experience say.

The gty was not for a solo room. It was for a double room with a single supplement paid.

-put me in any room u want that is meant for 2 people...i don't care if it the worst room on the ship.

It would be different if the ship was sold out but there is lots of inventory. They are even willing to charge me $650 to go back down to an inside room so the inventory is there

Is there any open inventory for the single rooms? I would love to know the price difference between what you paid and the going rate. Also, I'm still not quite sure why you're livid over this. I consider it a nice upgrade. Do you really need the extra space?

What ship are your talking about? Can you share the exact cabin numbers so we can better understand what is going on here. Did you pay for two whole fares or just the single supplement fare which is less than two whole fares?

After hours on the phone, spoke to guest relations and they got me to a higher up supervisor. He said he could completely understand why I didn't think I should be put in a single roo. Paying for double. Came up with a half price upsell offer to a balcony and my room is being changed as we speak.

Apologies if I misread your post and have missed something on the deck plans. I understood that you booked an N guaranty. I have the ship right? If I do, to the best of my knowledge, N category is a single/solo cabin.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

If the ship is not sold out I am surprised they are not willing to "talk". Has the price gone up since you booked? Maybe call back and ask for a supervisor?

But, if I understood you correctly and assuming I have the right ship and still know the ship in question you booked a solo guarantee cabin whether you realized it or not if you booked an N guarantee.

Not trying to give you a hard time - just trying to help understand.

After hours on the phone, spoke to guest relations and they got me to a higher up supervisor. He said he could completely understand why I didn't think I should be put in a single roo. Paying for double. Came up with a half price upsell offer to a balcony and my room is being changed as we speak.

I'm glad you got it worked out to your satisfaction. Now you can really enjoy your cruise!

Happy to hear you were able to work things out. Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh good news. I think we were typing at the same time ;)

Glad things have worked out for you. :D

Since you were paying the full price for two, and not just the single supplement, why did you not chose your cabin in the first place instead of doing a guaranty? What was the dream cabin you wanted all along when you booked only a guaranty?

I understood that you booked an N guaranty. I have the ship right? If I do, to the best of my knowledge, N category is a single/solo cabin.

Not trying to give you a hard time - just trying to help understand.

The N cabins on both the K'dam and P'dam are inside doubles. The singles on the P'dam are R.

Since you were paying the full price for two, and not just the single supplement, why did you not chose your cabin in the first place instead of doing a guaranty? What was the dream cabin you wanted all along when you booked only a guaranty?

I booked a gurantee hoping They would be able to place me near my parents who were also in a guarantee which was the only thing available fully aware that they may not be able to accommodate that.

The supervisor not only put me in a balcony at a very very reasonable price he said he would have signed both mine and my parents cabins so we would be beside each other and gave me a couple options to choose from. I am definitely a loyal customer and really appreciate that he went above and beyond to fixed my issue

I booked a gurantee hoping They would be able to place me near my parents who were also in a guarantee which was the only thing available fully aware that they may not be able to accommodate that.

The supervisor not only put me in a balcony at a very very reasonable price he said he would have signed both mine and my parents cabins so we would be beside each other and gave me a couple options to choose from. I am definitely a loyal customer and really appreciate that he went above and beyond to fixed my issue

so glad it has all been rectified :)