Tipping help

racetech

So what would be some standard tips, say for the porters taking your bags at the terminal to start. Then for on the ship im confused, as my NCL cruise gratuities will be paid by me before I even cruise. I know I should probably tip the room steward for a job well done, but who else on board? And what kind of amounts are appropriate? I mean I like to tip but im not made of money. I usually tip 20 percent at least when i go out to eat. But for a cruise there is no real amount to base your tip on? Thanks for any input

Tip the porters a couple bucks a bag. They are very well paid longshoremen but seem to expect a tip. If you have prepaid gratuities, you do not need to tip above that unless you feel they went beyond what you expected. Perhaps you should visit the NCL board here to find out what your expectations should be as to room steward and wait staff. The person who delivers room service might be tipped but again, you should ask this on the NCL board. Your drinks in the bar, etc. already have gratuity included, but if I spend a lot of time there, I will tip the head bar person who remembers what I drink...My main entertainment venue is the piano bar and if the performer plays the things I request, I may tip at the end of the cruise. There is always a tip jar out there...EM

For NCL, you are not expected to tip above your pre-paid gratuities. That being said, I've brought along $20-40 (2 $10 or 2 $20, depending on my budget). I generally tip my room steward on the first full day of the cruise and again at the end (hence the multiple bills), but only for a job well done. I recently took a back to back on Royal, and I tipped our steward for the first week, but not the second....for that very reason.

There is a separate, pretty active thread on Tipping at the port. Some do, many (including me) don’t. The porters are employed by the Ports and earn decent pay to do the job. Also, if you are not planning to remove the normal gratuities paid along side the cruise (which I think is a bad thing to do since the balance is shared across cruise staff groups, and many of those earn very low wages), you don’t need to give additional tips to anyone on board. Many people (including me, give a little something extra to the Cabin Attendant at the end of the Cruise (they know this, so are always around when you’re leaving the cabin on the last morning). If there is a particular member of staff you want to tip, fine, but it’s not at all necessary or expected.

$1-2 per bag is customary for porters and bellmen.

On NCL, they charge your tips to your account.NCL calls it the "DSC". It's your tips. As long as that is paid, you cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters and head waiters are taken care of.

Any drink that carries a charge will have the tip added to the cost. You're good. No additional is needed.

You're covered to all who should be tipped with your pre-paid tip ... anything extra is not needed but absolutely up to you for extra special service or help you received.

We tip $2.50 per bag to porters. At the end of the cruise if the porter takes them to our car (parked at the port) ... $25 total.

There is a separate, pretty active thread on Tipping at the port. Some do, many (including me) don’t. The porters are employed by the Ports and earn decent pay to do the job. Also, if you are not planning to remove the normal gratuities paid along side the cruise (which I think is a bad thing to do since the balance is shared across cruise staff groups, and many of those earn very low wages), you don’t need to give additional tips to anyone on board. Many people (including me, give a little something extra to the Cabin Attendant at the end of the Cruise (they know this, so are always around when you’re leaving the cabin on the last morning). If there is a particular member of staff you want to tip, fine, but it’s not at all necessary or expected.

The majority tip porters (it’s a tipped position), a few don’t.

• 2 weeks later...

We tip the porter $5 for our two bags. We give our Room Steward $10 or $20, depending on the service. In the dining room, if the waiter really makes an effort to "know us", etc., we'll give him $15 or $20 on the last night.

For room service, we tip $2 for any delivery.

It's all up to you ......... this is just what we do.

We tip the porter $5 for our two bags. We give our Room Steward $10 or $20, depending on the service. In the dining room, if the waiter really makes an effort to "know us", etc., we'll give him $15 or $20 on the last night.

For room service, we tip $2 for any delivery.

It's all up to you ......... this is just what we do.

Ithaca is gorges!

Greetings from Broome County! Johnson City).

Thanks for the “tips”

Ok I’ll see my self out now.