Changes in the way we cruise

W283386

I remember 15-20 years ago when people were upset that Princess starting charging $5 for what I think was the first specialty restaurant at sea. It was a TeX-Mex venue and I believe it included a margarita. These boards had posters saying it would ruin cruising and who would be dumb enough to pay extra for food that is already included. Now you rarely see a post not asking a question or talking about specialty dining. Outside of that Princess cruise, I have never spent a dime in a specialty restaurant, on over 18 cruises, except for one time in Bistro on Five on embarkation day.

Many posters including myself were also upset and wondered who in their right mind would do any time dining. Now that is all I do and half of my dinners are in the buffet.

What other changes have happened over the past 20 years in cruising that no one thought would ever occur or be popular?

The number of supersized super expensive suites on ships. Who the hell needs a piano in their cabin on a cruise ship? Ive never understood the need for a butler, either. Are people really that helpless or need to feel so high-flautan?

And more of those cabins leaves less room for the less expensive, affordable cabins.

I'm also surprised by the many additions of ships and cruise lines that are specifically built and marketed to families with kids.

OTOH, I'm delighted that there has been such growth for providing facilities for the disabled. Whatever one perceives as a negative in the industry, this makes up for it. (And we don't need those accomodatiins. I just think it's great!)

I remember 15-20 years ago when people were upset that Princess starting charging $5 for what I think was the first specialty restaurant at sea. It was a TeX-Mex venue and I believe it included a margarita. These boards had posters saying it would ruin cruising and who would be dumb enough to pay extra for food that is already included. Now you rarely see a post not asking a question or talking about specialty dining. Outside of that Princess cruise, I have never spent a dime in a specialty restaurant, on over 18 cruises, except for one time in Bistro on Five on embarkation day.

Many posters including myself were also upset and wondered who in their right mind would do any time dining. Now that is all I do and half of my dinners are in the buffet.

What other changes have happened over the past 20 years in cruising that no one thought would ever occur or be popular?

We started cruising after I retired in 2010. Since then we have done 10 on Celebrity and 6 on NCL.

The changes have not been significant. NCL had only anytime dining so when we started doing Celebrity, we enjoyed set time dining, but later migrated to anytime due to two cruises with tablemates that we didn't care for.

The one change in the past few years that we dislike is the price bundling, including drink packages, etc. that we don't want. This change has driven us to choose only repo or transatlantic cruises for Celebrity that don't price bundle.

Some posters feel that Celebrity quality and service has declined. With the exception of the cancellation of the end of cruise brunch, we haven't seen that. Our last cruise on Eclipse in October/Nov was our best on X.

I totally agree; times are changing and either you change with them by modifying and adjusting, at least a little, or end up being one unhappy cruiser. Again, it is your choice. One just can't keep expecting things to be like the "good old days." Choose the glass half full and choose to dance...:D or not! Choose to play that piano or not! Your choice and yours alone to make...

Edited by Lastdance

We took our first cruise in 2002 and have just completed our 20th cruise (I think). Yes, there certainly have been slow and steady cutbacks since then. Slow and steady, so as not to rattle the crowds too much. No individual cutback has been a deal breaker, but they really are starting to add up. I couldn’t help but notice in the daily paper on our Celebrity Reflection that at least 1/3 of the “activaties“ offered on any given day were actually up charge services/activities. Having said that, the prices have stayed relatively low in the years we have been cruising. Our very first cruise was the most expensive cruise we’ve taken and not the longest, by far. Still, overall, sad to see the changes.

Things have definitely changed since our first cruise. The first specialty dining we did on Celebrity was the SS United States (Murano like) on Infinity for $10 per person in 2008. Today it's $50 (I know it can be had for less). There are more of them. The midnight buffets are gone, but then again, although they were fun to look at we never ate anything and it was a colossal waste of food and effort. I also remember the ice carving demonstrations at the pool as well as fruit and vegetable carving demonstrations. We always used to do late traditional dining, but and didn't want to deal with Select dining waiting, and reservation making. After dining in Blu, we've decided that we love going when we please. We have also noticed a proliferation of tables for 2 in the dining venues, where they used to be much more rare. Another change is the relaxation of dress codes. It's nice to have choices rather than dictates. Although there have been many dreco threads debating the dress code issues, I think most people enjoy the choice.

I used to frequent the spa during every cruise, but with the skyrocketing prices and sales pitches with every service that have gotten more and more insistent I no longer use the services.

All that being said, we still find that cruising is our favorite vacation and best value for the money.

The one change in the past few years that we dislike is the price bundling, including drink packages, etc. that we don't want. This change has driven us to choose only repo or transatlantic cruises for Celebrity that don't price bundle.

I can understand that you don't like the price bundling. For us, having the alcohol package is the only way we will cruise anymore. (Years ago, we paid the daily charge. Now, we only book when it's offered.)

A couple of ideas to avoid the bundling:

Book late. They stop offering it as the cruise gets closer.

Book an inside room - they don't include the perks (unfortunately for us.)

Try cruising on Princess or HAL. I've never seen them offer much of a bundle. (I don't know about Royal Caribbean. If I WON the cruise, I'd sell it. No way.)

MSC does not bundle - but you can pay more to get a bundle.

PS if you get stuck with tablemates that you don't enjoy, just ask the maitre de to change to another table. We've had to do that twice.

I totally agree; times are changing and either you change with them by modifying and adjusting, at least a little, or end up being one unhappy cruiser. Again, it is your choice. One just can't keep expecting things to be like the "good old days." Choose the glass half full and choose to dance...:D or not! Choose to play that piano or not! Your choice and yours alone to make...

I agree, but there is a third choice, namely cruise less or not at all.

We are morphing into that choice more and more with every cruise we take. Doesn't really matter which mainstream line: Celebrity, NCL, RCCL, Princess. HAL. Same, same but different. Less value for more money. Very little new or different. Same basic entertainment. Same mid-level (at best) food. Same ports.

Other travel options are working much better for us, and at a much better price point.

I agree, but there is a third choice, namely cruise less or not at all.

We are morphing into that choice more and more with every cruise we take. Doesn't really matter which mainstream line: Celebrity, NCL, RCCL, Princess. HAL. Same, same but different. Less value for more money. Very little new or different. Same basic entertainment. Same mid-level (at best) food. Same ports.

Other travel options are working much better for us, and at a much better price point.

I DEFINITELY hear what you are saying. We enjoy cruising - but are getting a bit fussy about the itinerary and pricing. Additionally, we're getting to the age that cruising may be the best (or only) method of travel. So we are looking at alternatives, too.

We'd like to do a river cruise- but oh my, the prices!!!!

May I ask what other alternatives you've been looking at?

I DEFINITELY hear what you are saying. We enjoy cruising - but are getting a bit fussy about the itinerary and pricing. Additionally, we're getting to the age that cruising may be the best (or only) method of travel. So we are looking at alternatives, too.

I did my first River Cruise in 2016......it was FANTASTIC.....:D I have been wanting to take another one but it hasn't happened (yet)

and am looking at 2019 for my 2nd one. As much as I love ocean cruising, that River Cruise was in my top 3 of all my sailings:D

We started cruising after I retired in 2010. Since then we have done 10 on Celebrity and 6 on NCL.

The one change in the past few years that we dislike is the price bundling, including drink packages, etc. that we don't want. This change has driven us to choose only repo or transatlantic cruises for Celebrity that don't price bundle.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Price bundling has been a issue for me, even after 25-30 cruises. I may be out of line sharing that it bugs me to no end being told the amount my daily tips will be charged to my account each day. Don't jump on me for saying this, but I like the old way better. And Yes,,,, I do always tip well.

luvs to sail

Boston Ma

Here is what we have done in the last month.

An exceptional hotel in Hanoi. Better service than we have had on any suite, any cruise line (let alone normal cabins). 2 large bedrooms, 2 full baths. Top floor penthouse with 500 sq. foot balcony overlooking the city. A breakfast to rival any in Blu or Luminae. Fully equipped mini-bar, drinks and food, no charge. Laundry service, 6 hour return, no charge. $95 total per night.

Mekong river view balcony in a hotel in Luang Prabang, Laos. Full breakfast every morning/ Room large but only about the size of a Sky Suite. Private transport to/from airport. $55 per night.

Huge condo in Chiang Mai. Fully equipped, huge balcony. Dual air conditioning. Gym. Gorgeous pool, Excellent concierge service. $50 per night.

Total accommodation for almost a month: $1400

Food (you are in SE Asia after all): Around $1000 give or take.

Not for everyone, perhaps, but WAY more bang for our bucks than a cruise (and we did a 3 week one leading up to what is above).

My first cruise was on the Carnival Fantasy in 1992. Back then that ship was new and seemed enormous to me. We had an ocean view cabin. Balcony cabins were unheard of and only existed in a very select few categories. I couldn’t imagine the “rich” people who must travel with a balcony stateroom but I never thought it would be me. Fast forward almost 30 Year’s later...I have to have a stateroom with a balcony. So glad they’re not just for the very rich any more. :cool:

Our first cruise was on our honeymoon in 1980 on the largest ship at sea with no balconies.

Who could have really predicted the enormous size of some ships today?

Or that most cabins on a ship would have a balcony and most people are more than willing to pay more for one?

Or that so many cruises would be more than seven days long?

I saved the best for last. Or that the price of a cruise today for an equivalent cabin is no higher than it was 38 years ago? In 1980 cruises were much more expensive.

We are blessed to be fortunate to take advantage of all the improvements.

I remember doing the SS Norway (NCL) back in 1996 and there was a LeBistro type French restaurant onboard - I think there was a small "service fee" of like $5-10pp. I think we paid in the neighborhood of $999-1099pp+ tax for a "suite" on that ship (no other inclusions, perks or onboard credit), which was maybe all of 195 sq ft with no balcony (one of the newer rooms added to the top of the ship during a refit with floor to ceiling windows).

By contrast I am sailing on the Summit this December in a 2A balcony with Classic Drinks pkg, $425 onboard credit and pre-paid tips for around $2000 total inclusive of tax for 2, with far more choices of entertainment and dining ......

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Yes seen lots of changes in the last few years....have done some all inclusive land based vacations.... people who frequent the same resort were complaining of cutbacks. Businesses will always maximise profits. Cruising still has alot of value to it!👍

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

First, everything old is new again. In the old ocean liner days there was a strict class structure, especially for dining. Cruising did away with classes of passengers, and now the class system seems to be coming back, with dedicated lounges and restaurants. The ships, of course, keep getting bigger. My first cruise was in 1987 on Home Lines Homeric (boy I still miss Home Lines). That was a large ship at 45,000 grt, and 1,200 passengers. Now, 230,000 grt and over 6,000. It's all driven by economics. If they could build smaller ships and still make money, Azamara would be building new 700-1,000 passenger ships, instead of recycling 16 year old ships. Economics drives the price bundling too. The cruise fare for my 1987 7 day cruise, inside cabin was more than the fare for a veranda today, and in 1987 dollars. The difference was that in 1987, drinks were $2 or $3, not $14. The annoying nickel and dimeing and constant sales are the only way to keep the fares steady. I don't like it either, but it is what it is.

Here is what we have done in the last month.

An exceptional hotel in Hanoi. Better service than we have had on any suite, any cruise line (let alone normal cabins). 2 large bedrooms, 2 full baths. Top floor penthouse with 500 sq. foot balcony overlooking the city. A breakfast to rival any in Blu or Luminae. Fully equipped mini-bar, drinks and food, no charge. Laundry service, 6 hour return, no charge. $95 total per night.

Mekong river view balcony in a hotel in Luang Prabang, Laos. Full breakfast every morning/ Room large but only about the size of a Sky Suite. Private transport to/from airport. $55 per night.

Huge condo in Chiang Mai. Fully equipped, huge balcony. Dual air conditioning. Gym. Gorgeous pool, Excellent concierge service. $50 per night.

Total accommodation for almost a month: $1400

Food (you are in SE Asia after all): Around $1000 give or take.

Not for everyone, perhaps, but WAY more bang for our bucks than a cruise (and we did a 3 week one leading up to what is above).

I am horribly and sincerely jealous. Exactly the type of trip I would choose - and used to do. Sadly, at 75 with one knee replacement (soon to be two), DH can't really walk enough for this kind of travel anymore. Which makes me very sad. :loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

I can understand that you don't like the price bundling. For us, having the alcohol package is the only way we will cruise anymore. (Years ago, we paid the daily charge. Now, we only book when it's offered.)

A couple of ideas to avoid the bundling:

Book late. They stop offering it as the cruise gets closer.

Book an inside room - they don't include the perks (unfortunately for us.)

Try cruising on Princess or HAL. I've never seen them offer much of a bundle. (I don't know about Royal Caribbean. If I WON the cruise, I'd sell it. No way.)

MSC does not bundle - but you can pay more to get a bundle.

PS if you get stuck with tablemates that you don't enjoy, just ask the maitre de to change to another table. We've had to do that twice.

Thanks for the advice.

We always plan our trips way ahead of time and book early, since we don't do Caribbean and have to fly to another continent.

Wife won'd do an inside.

Princess is comparable to Celebrity, but why give up the elite benefits? Prices are usually not a great savings on Princess. Won't do HAL or MSC.

We did book two Royal Caribbean cruises out of Sydney for next month. They were very reasonable price and with no bundling. Our 11 day NZ cruise was almost HALF the price of Celebrity Solstice 10 day NZ cruise, because it was bundled with drink package.

For me it's health & safety gone mad.

My first cruise was as a kid, and in rough weather we were still able to go on the prom' deck. Sailing into a head wind, me and my brother had great fun sliding along the greasy deck aided by the wind. Just awesome, whilst passengers inside were throwing up in papers bags!

Baked Alaska's were properly on fire too.

I am horribly and sincerely jealous. Exactly the type of trip I would choose - and used to do. Sadly, at 75 with one knee replacement (soon to be two), DH can't really walk enough for this kind of travel anymore. Which makes me very sad. :loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

Hip replacement here.

We used Uber extensively in SE Asia. 10-12 km rides routinely under US $4. Shorter rides even less. Got us easily to the places we used to walk. Got to see all the sights without the long treks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Hip replacement here.

We used Uber extensively in SE Asia. 10-12 km rides routinely under US $4. Shorter rides even less. Got us easily to the places we used to walk. Got to see all the sights without the long treks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

You're giving me idea's and hope for 2019. . .

The changes have not been significant. NCL had only anytime dining so when we started doing Celebrity, we enjoyed set time dining, but later migrated to anytime due to two cruises with tablemates that we didn't care for.

Some posters feel that Celebrity quality and service has declined. With the exception of the cancellation of the end of cruise brunch, we haven't seen that. Our last cruise on Eclipse in October/Nov was our best on X.

I've written before about the dining room in the early 90s. Food and Service was better than any specialty on any Celebrity ship now. You had four people taking care of you, Waiter, Assistant, Drink Person and Sommelier. They all had less tables then they have now. You absolutely followed the dress code or you had to eat in your room on Celebrity. No buffet for dinner, no specialties and your dress was expected for the entire evening in all venues and it was strictly enforced. Children dressed the same as adults and it was also enforced. There were very few complaints since everybody followed the dress code.

A good change that no one has mentioned and many would be surprised at was all Dining Rooms were totally smoking allowed.

Tipping for children back then was half that of adults when they traveled as 3rds or 4ths. Prices were lower all the time for kids.

Buffet had trays and waiters took the trays and escorted you to your seats.

When you boarded the ship you were escorted to your room which was ready, of course boarding was a little later.

Just a few things...

Not crazy about the price bundling and years ago Was were allowed to play with the price more than they can now.

I've written before about the dining room in the early 90s. Food and Service was better than any specialty on any Celebrity ship now. You had four people taking care of you, Waiter, Assistant, Drink Person and Sommelier. They all had less tables then they have now. You absolutely followed the dress code or you had to eat in your room on Celebrity. No buffet for dinner, no specialties and your dress was expected for the entire evening in all venues and it was strictly enforced. Children dressed the same as adults and it was also enforced. There were very few complaints osince everybody followed the dress code.

A good change that no one has mentioned and many would be surprised at was all Dining Rooms were totally smoking allowed.

Tipping for children back then was half that of adults when they traveled as 3rds or 4ths. Prices were lower all the time for kids.

Buffet had trays and waiters took the trays and escorted you to your seats.

When you boarded the ship you were escorted to your room which was ready, of course boarding was a little later.

Just a few things...

Not crazy about the price bundling and years ago Was were allowed to play with the price more than they can now.

DK you're spot on (but I DO remember there were buffets for dinner, but very limited offerings including what was on the menu in the dining room that night.)

I'll add that alcohol were cheaper on the ship than at some bars and restaurants on land.

The smoking being restricted is a positive (but getting rid of it entirely would be great if only to stop the jerks from smoking on their balconies.) Another BIG positive change is the accessibility for disabled passengers. That is WAY better.

Except for the formal night silliness, I miss those days of cruising.

The one change in the past few years that we dislike is the price bundling, including drink packages, etc. that we don't want. This change has driven us to choose only repo or transatlantic cruises for Celebrity that don't price bundle.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Price bundling has been a issue for me, even after 25-30 cruises. I may be out of line sharing that it bugs me to no end being told the amount my daily tips will be charged to my account each day. Don't jump on me for saying this, but I like the old way better. And Yes,,,, I do always tip well.

luvs to sail

Boston Ma