Do I have enough time?

Sonata10

Hi all,

The itinerary for Soltice is arriving Seattle port at 6am. Do I have enough time to catch the train at King street station about 10 minutes away to catch the train to Vancouver at 7:45? Do we have to go through security line at the train station as at the airport

Can we get off the ship when we are at Vancouver port ?

Hi all,

The itinerary for Soltice is arriving Seattle port at 6am. Do I have enough time to catch the train at King street station about 10 minutes away to catch the train to Vancouver at 7:45? Do we have to go through security line at the train station as at the airport

Can we get off the ship when we are at Vancouver port ?

Probably not. They will off load all the luggage before they let passengers disembark. Amtrak closes the gates to the train 30 minutes before boarding.

I doubt you can make that. Even though the ship docks at 6am (maybe, who knows the actual time) it has to be cleared by the port authority and customs agents have to be available. I've never walked off but it seems they usually start between 7am and 8am.

Edited by TFLG

I doubt you can make that. Even though the ship docks at 6am (maybe, who knows the actual time) it has to be cleared by the port authority and customs agents have to be available. I've never walked off but it seems they usually start between 7am and 8am. the train station is a 10 minute walk from the pier, trains run frequently but you could be another 10-20 minutes buying a ticket and waiting for a train. The ride to the airport is only about 10 minutes but then you have another short walk to the airline counter.

And yes, you will have to go thru Security at the airport. I was lucky enough to get one of those "random" searches last time flying out of YVR.:rolleyes:

OP is talking about the Amtrak Train to Vancouver BC not the airport.

I'd agree it's very tight, not impossible but personally I wouldn't do it (we take the evening train home after cruises ending in Seattle). If the ship is on time, OP is in the FIRST batch of self-disembarkers, and heads straight to King Street with no checked luggage for the train it's doable, if only just. We've boarded Amtrak ~15mins before departure northbound on many occasions - there is no immigration check done until you arrive in Vancouver so it's just bag checking (45mins pre-departure) and seat allocation (at least an hour early if you want water-side seats) that are the reasons to be early.

As long as your tickets are booked in advance with appropriate border-crossing ID entered there's no additional delay at the station in Seattle, so if you can lift your own bags onto the luggage racks in the train and you don't mind missing out on the 'good seats' you can roll in last-minute (one time in Portland I didn't even get time to sit down before the train started moving - we forgot our packed lunch and returned home to retrieve it so I had < 3 mins on the clock getting to the station doors).

Not a chance in the world!! I've taken that train before and you are required to be at the train station at least 45-60 minutes early, as I recall. They took it seriously, too! You have to check in like you are checking in at the airport.

You will most likely be able to disembark the ship well after the train has already left the station. I wouldn't even give this a second thought!

You can, however, take the Quick Coach from Seattle to downtown Vancouver, though. I've used them several times before and am very happy with their service. They have buses that will take pick you up in downtown Seattle and take you right into downtown Vancouver, including the Waterfront station ... you only have to cross the border as a requirement of the ride. They have multiple pick up times to choose from.