HMC - which do you prefer?

Krazy Kruizers

If HMC is on your schedule, do you prefer to visit the island at the beginning of your cruise or at the end?

I prefer it at the beginning only because it is a relaxing day ... just the perfect kind of day you want after you've just boarded the ship and are still winding down from "real life."

But, don't get me wrong ... I'll take HMC any way I can get it ... beginning, end or in the middle. I just love the place.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I think having it at the end of the cruise would be best IF you could count on the weather being great and knew for sure you could get in to the island. It would be a bummer to miss the stop and end the cruise on a bad note.

I've done it both ways, and we'll take it anywhere it falls. With luck, we'll be there in March.

Our vote is for the end...providing the ship is actually able to tender the passengers to the island. It was the icing on the celebratory cake for our October cruise...I can still feel the excitement I had to see not only sunshine & calm waters when the WESTERDAM arrived that morning, but to also see a rainbow to boot! I knew it was going to be a picture perfect day.

I think the only reason I'd vote for HMC at the beginning of a cruise, providing the ship was also sailing to Grand Turk, would be the ability to pick up a horseback riding excursion (although I prefer HMC) at Grand Turk...should the ship not be able to tender to HMC. I would have been greatly disappointed if the WESTERDAM had been unable to stop at HMC on the final day of our cruise...not only would we have missed that slice of paradise, but we'd have missed our horseback ride on the beach too! (Especially since we didn't take the riding excursion at Grand Turk.)

Debjo

On our recent October cruise, we had two rainy days in Tortola and St. Maarten (it was the rainy season ... go figure) so it was absolutely awesome to have our HMC day at the end of the cruise and the weather was perfect to beat.

-------------------------

HAL Westerdam - "Take me to your Lido" Cruise III - October 2006

NCL Spirit - "Take me to your Lido" Cruise II - Dec 2005

HAL Zuiderdam - "Take me to your Lido" Cruise I - Dec 2004

Celebrity Constellation - Feb 2004

On our recent October cruise, we had two rainy days in Tortola and St. Maarten (it was the rainy season ... go figure) so it was absolutely awesome to have our HMC day at the end of the cruise and the weather was perfect to beat.

-------------------------

HAL Westerdam - "Take me to your Lido" Cruise III - October 2006

NCL Spirit - "Take me to your Lido" Cruise II - Dec 2005

HAL Zuiderdam - "Take me to your Lido" Cruise I - Dec 2004

Celebrity Constellation - Feb 2004

It makes for a nice finale to the trip. A day of pretty much forced relaxation.

No compulsion to take a tour.. no shops for the wives to drag us to.. just chillin' at the beach with a few rum punches.

But I'd opt for at the start if it meant avoiding sharing w/ another ship. We were there w/ Amsterdam (us on Westerdam) in October and it's just too crowded w/ 2 ships.

I'm not sure, but I think at the end.

We've only been to HMC once at the end of the cruise. DH said he would prefer it at the beginning.

In January, we will be at HMC again at the end of our cruise, again in the pink cabana, but this time BUTLER SERVICE! There are 2 ships at HMC that day.

Yes, I think I like it at the end., only downside is upon return to the cabin, its time to pack. Fort Lauderdale is just an overnight away. I enjoy sea days first, getting out of touch with reality and just watching the ocean slide by.

My initial thoughts were mixed having gone to HMC at both the start and the end of a cruise. All of our visits to HMC have been great. If it was at the beginning of a cruise it quickly got us relaxed and into the "groove" so to speak. When the visit has been at the end of a cruise it's always seemed to be a fitting capstone to another great vacation. However, after some thought I'd say given the choice I think we'd prefer to end our cruise with a stop at HMC. One of the oddities of our upcoming cruise is that it will be our longest at 14 days but also the first time on HAL in the Caribbean, since they opened HMC, that we've not stopped there. Not exactly heartbroken but we'll miss it.

I prefer HMC to be at the end of the cruise. The main factor is the sun and possible sunburn. The rays are pretty intense out there on the beach. If the HMC visit is scheduled for the end of the cruise, passengers have an opportunity to build up a base tan before they arrive HMC. When HMC is at the beginning of the cruise, sunburn is more of a possibility.

Happy sailing!

..at the beginning, I think.

If it's the last day of the cruise, I don't want to be cheerful and you can't make me be! I'm about to get the bums rush. My cruise is ending and there's no joy in Mudville. And I can't help but be happy on Half Moon Cay.

This creates a conflict.:p

Archived