El Convento

Deep68

We were in Old San Juan, pre-cruise March 01st. We didn't stay at El Convento, however, we were right in front of the hotel when it started to rain. It was close to noon and we decided to have lunch there.

There is tons of history in that hotel, it has been completely re-done and we thought it was the most charming of place. The courtyard is a great place to eat, have a drink and relax.

The location is right in the heart of Old San Juan and you can walk to any historic sites. Right across the street is the oldest cathedral in the Caribbean. Whether you go to chuch or not, it's a interesting visit.

If the rates are within your budget, I would think the charm and location of the hotel would be a great place to stay.

Bill

• 1 month later...

Ok...don't tell anyone else our secret but we just booked a room at El Convento even though our cruise ship doesn't stay overnight! They have a great courtyard bar and tapas restaurant called El Picoteo where we have dinner reservations, they are just a few blocks from El Morro to the north which supposedly has the best winds in the world for kite flying. El Convento is just a very short walk from the city gate with the red door that leads through the wall to the Paseo de la Princessa. They are across the street from the church that Ponce de Leon is buried in and a few doors away from the unique PR Ben & Jerry's (run by the mother of an Olympic champion). Two of the oldest dive bars are across the street--sailors drank here for centuries--and never a hint of renovation! There is a great gift shop nearby (Sunny Carribe, I think) that sells spices and the world class PR coffees, etc. The hotel is located toward the top of the most famous and very steep shopping street (Calle Cristo) and they have a free wine and cheese hour every night from 6-7pm on a balcony overlooking Calle Cristo and the charming little Nun's Park.

But that is not why we booked the room! We booked the room because we already know we will probably want to escape the heat in an air-conditioned room in the middle of the day once or twice AND we booked it so we can "swim" in the rooftop pool and soak in the nearby hottub with fabulous views of OSJ and our ship in the harbor!!! It's romantic! Check it out! http://www.bestbuds.from-ny.net/

they give discounts for AAA members. My boys have a double room for $185/night.

Can I ask how they got the AAA discount? I don't see that option on their online reservation form. I so want to stay in this hotel for our pre cruise stay.

Thanks for any info.

El Convento Hotel use to be a "Carmelitas" Catholic nun's convent. The type of nuns that lived there did not have access to the outside world, so this place was their lives. It remained as a convent for several decades. The place is very nice, the open patio is great. Located right on the center of Old San Juan, but, no beach!

• 2 weeks later...
Can I ask how they got the AAA discount? I don't see that option on their online reservation form. I so want to stay in this hotel for our pre cruise stay.

Thanks for any info.

I asked when I called them if they had a AAA rate. I have found some attractive deals through AAA, including better deals from car rental agencies. You have to bring your AAA card and show it to them when you check in.

Thanks so much for the link to your website. That is AWESOME; you've spent some time gathering and organizing that information. I'm looking at San Juan...and it answers a lot of our questions. Thanks for sharing...:D

This is really where we want to stay but we keep putting off making hte reservation. Last night the fianle of Top Chef opened with them on what looked to be the patio area having brunch. It's an omen I say!

Silly question - can anyone confirm it they have elevators? I was touring Scotland last year and by the end of the two weeks you never saw 4 more happier women then when we checked in to our "new" hotel on the Royal Mile and they had an elevator. So tired of carrying luggage upstairs and being on a top floor!

Kathy

If it is in your budget, and you like history, stay there. It is a beautiful 300+ year old building.

Great location, beautiful place, right in OSJ.

If you want beach, then this is not the place. It will be a taxi ride away. For beach stay in Isla Verde.

Taxi fare- (which may have a $2 "gas tax" added on soon) (plus $1 per luggage):

from airport- $19

From Pier 4 in OSJ- $10

From Pan Am Pier- $10

Elevators- Yes.

Pool is on the roof.

The courtyard is so beautiful.

cruisekarma- I read somehere that four-story El Convento has an elevator that is only accessible with the hotel "key". While the hotel is mostly open air, the gated hallways and elevator require the key and provide security. [some guests have complained about the old feeling that the antique furnishings, stucco and tiling present and preferred the modern high-rise beachfront hotels in Condado and Isla Verde. But I think being in the "heart" of the old city has its own charm and I can't wait to sample tapas under a 300-year-old nispero fruit tree! Or have mojitos at the rooftop pool at sunset!]

Shekim- Thank you! We found the maps especially helpful for us. We just LOVE Puerto Rico and couldn't stop writing about it! Hope you love it too!

2_1_94_8049_Seq1681bg.jpg

Small_Header_MAIN.jpg

13543_4.jpg

23106_21_s.jpg23106_20_s.jpg

13543_2.jpg

We're looking for a pre-cruise hotel in December. Thanks to all who are sharing information on this "gem". I checked the hotel web site and it says there's a minimum 2-night stay. Is this their all-year policy or only for peak cruise time frames? Unfortunately we're only staying 1 night pre-cruise so I guess I'll have to find another hotel :-(

RandS

Ok...don't tell anyone else our secret but we just booked a room at El Convento even though our cruise ship doesn't stay overnight! They have a great courtyard bar and tapas restaurant called El Picoteo where we have dinner reservations, they are just a few blocks from El Morro to the north which supposedly has the best winds in the world for kite flying. El Convento is just a very short walk from the city gate with the red door that leads through the wall to the Paseo de la Princessa. They are across the street from the church that Ponce de Leon is buried in and a few doors away from the unique PR Ben & Jerry's (run by the mother of an Olympic champion). Two of the oldest dive bars are across the street--sailors drank here for centuries--and never a hint of renovation! There is a great gift shop nearby (Sunny Carribe, I think) that sells spices and the world class PR coffees, etc. The hotel is located toward the top of the most famous and very steep shopping street (Calle Cristo) and they have a free wine and cheese hour every night from 6-7pm on a balcony overlooking Calle Cristo and the charming little Nun's Park.

But that is not why we booked the room! We booked the room because we already know we will probably want to escape the heat in an air-conditioned room in the middle of the day once or twice AND we booked it so we can "swim" in the rooftop pool and soak in the nearby hottub with fabulous views of OSJ and our ship in the harbor!!! It's romantic! Check it out! http://www.bestbuds.from-ny.net/

You forgot it's right up the street from the COACH OUTLET......Great Place to Stay....We Spent 2 nights there 54 years ago....Had a Great time

• 1 month later...

Momto5: I think the photo is actually the Gloria Vanderbilt suite (expensive!) so we will be staying in corner room #504. Most of the time we will be in the pool or the patio or the bar so we didn't feel the need to get the suite and chose #504 because it supposedly had a great view! (It might be #508 though--just ask for a corner room--I can't exactly remember back to when I made the reservation!) I can let you know in 130 days!

kjscruiser: You are right! The Coach outlet is somewhere near El Convento and you can be sure we are going to find it! I bet the hotel hasn't even changed that much in 54 years!!!!! Can't wait!

I never stayed her but drank i have. The price is unreal for that place. i have been to one of the 'dive bars" did ont realize how famous it was.. i wanted to check out everything while I was there

Archived