Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

I am an Aretha Franklin fan and am feeling very sad as she had an amazing voice and succeeded through adversity.

Julie

It is my theory that much of her success is somewhat due to the adversity. It is in her delivery and performance.

It was a magical time in the music industry in those early years with the combination of Jewish management and talented Jewish composers harnessing, encouraing and nurturing Black performers. Jerry Wexler was the man who realised that Aretha shouldn't be a Jazz singer where she was being encouraged to move and he asked Gerry Goffin to write a song with his partner Carole King about "a natural woman" and they wrote the soul song for her. She released her song in 1967 and I actually remember where I was when I first heard it. Carole King released Tapestry with her folksy version four years later. Carole King is in my view possibly the most talented pop song writer of the generation.

Thought I’d share some of the nice collection of tributes and synopsis in today’s Times ...... eg

How the soul sister-in-chief became a civil rights heroine

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/how-aretha-franklin-soul-sister-in-chief-became-a-civil-rights-heroine-v7wkjq2wv?shareToken=65f7f5064ac8f0da8a237d6db47d57c1

She was, quite simply, the Queen of Soul

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/aretha-franklin-she-was-quite-simply-the-queen-ofsoul-7cr9cvghw?shareToken=cca42499277e691c26162147cc451a32

It was a magical time in the music industry in those early years with the combination of Jewish management and talented Jewish composers harnessing, encouraing and nurturing Black performers. Jerry Wexler was the man who realised that Aretha shouldn't be a Jazz singer where she was being encouraged to move and he asked Gerry Goffin to write a song with his partner Carole King about "a natural woman" and they wrote the soul song for her. She released her song in 1967 and I actually remember where I was when I first heard it. Carole King released Tapestry with her folksy version four years later. Carole King is in my view possibly the most talented pop song writer of the generation.

Appreciate this above great history and background by Jeff about Aretha, the QUEEN!! Wonderful songs, voice, etc.!! Am a super fun for all of the Motown magic, including the Tops, Temptations, Smokey, Supremes, Little Stevie, etc. Great tunes and fun memories.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio.

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 31,498 views. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Appreciate this above great history and background by Jeff about Aretha, the QUEEN!! Wonderful songs, voice, etc.!! Am a super fun for all of the Motown magic, including the Tops, Temptations, Smokey, Supremes, Little Stevie, etc. Great tunes and fun memories.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio.

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 31,498 views. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Terry, I heard Smokey Robinson last night with Don Lemon...…..did you know Smokey and Aretha were raised in the same place in Detroit? He said they had been friends since they were little kids...…..her father was a Minister (I believe). And they showed many clips of her from when she started in the business through today. Singing at so many places, celebrations, funerals, etc......she sang when Dr King was alive and at his funeral. And what was very cool, when Carole King was presented with her Kennedy Center Honor, Aretha sang to her.....and Aretha got her Honor back in 1994. Carole received hers in 2015.

I am with you on being a Motown fan...….I love it too...….I love many types of music but Motown always had me.:)

Edited by Lois R

Hi L,

Aretha’s father was indeed a preacher .... but not quite as you might expect. Ray Charles described the “events” organised by Clarence LaVaughn Franklin as “wild” and CL actually had a child with a 12 year old girl. He was extremely “colourful”. Martin Luther King was a friend and stayed at their home.

It was hardly suprising that Aretha brought up in that highly dysfunctional environment also had her first child at roughly that age and in fact had two kids before her 16th birthday.

She was a unique singer, but she was an extremely complex person with many demons by all accounts. I remember reading about the times she worked with Luther Vandros who was secured to produce an album for her. She was pretty disrespectful and it didn’t sound like the relationship was positive. It is difficult to establish a phase in her life when she felt secure and happy. Sadly.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Morning all, from a smoky west coast of Canada.

The province of BC has declared a state of emergency as we have nearly 600 fires burning throughout the province. Over 400,000 hectares (that's close to a million acres) have burnt so far in 2018. The smoke from the fires is affecting most of western Canada and can be seen from space. https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/bc-fires-satellite-1.4789298

TTS: do you travel with a virtual rimshot for your one-liners? (ie:

)

Morning all, from a smoky west coast of Canada.

The province of BC has declared a state of emergency as we have nearly 600 fires burning throughout the province. Over 400,000 hectares (that's close to a million acres) have burnt so far in 2018. The smoke from the fires is affecting most of western Canada and can be seen from space. https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/bc-fires-satellite-1.4789298

TTS: do you travel with a virtual rimshot for your one-liners? (ie:

)

I live in MN and we have an air quality alert for the whole weekend due to the smoke from the Canandian fires. The sky is milky , no sun for three days. The air waters my eyes to stay outside for any lenght of time.

Hope the fall rains or early snow come soon to Western Canada.

I live in MN and we have an air quality alert for the whole weekend due to the smoke from the Canandian fires. The sky is milky , no sun for three days. The air waters my eyes to stay outside for any lenght of time.

Hope the fall rains or early snow come soon to Western Canada.

We're hoping so too!

We've had a bit of relief from the smoke, as the winds have shifted a bit. But still no rain in sight, and another heatwave forecast for tomorrow.

With all the heat and smoke I feel like I'm in a hot smoker and will come out looking (and possibly tasting) like beef jerky at the end of the summer.