Over packing.

chromered7

Exactly. This stuff takes up a lot of room. On the cruise to the Baltics I refused to be the "mule" for the family's tylenol/pepcidAC/Advil Sinus etc etc and spread it out. Amazing how much room I have in my bags when I am not carrying all of the "what if" stuff for 4 people in my bag.

Just went through this is sunscreen and after-sun spray. I bought it all--and Everyone had to pack theirs in their bag.

Now put the daily meds in those week long/individual plastic sorters. Taking 2 extra days (just i case) Day meds in a clear one, Night meds in a blue-green one. Saves on packing space. And one small bottle (mixed) of things like zyrtec/advil instead of individual bottles because even travel-sized adds up.

I do a sheet for the trip with what I am wearing each day and stick to a color palette.

We have traveled as a family on longer trips that included multiple formal nights and DH brought his tux, and we had tuxes delivered for the boys (they were younger/growing and didn't own their own tuxedos)

Planned right--the ship laundry can turn around dress shirts in time

See entry # 6

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2214451

I don’t have to worry about it for a few months yet, but I’ve been thinking about packing my meds for 29 days.

Prescription wise, I take 3 in the morning, 2 at night.

I hate digging pills out of the little square holes on a 7 day cruise. This will be so much worse!

Anybody have a brilliant idea for packing them?

Without taking big prescription bottles!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t have to worry about it for a few months yet, but I’ve been thinking about packing my meds for 29 days.

Prescription wise, I take 3 in the morning, 2 at night.

I hate digging pills out of the little square holes on a 7 day cruise. This will be so much worse!

Anybody have a brilliant idea for packing them?

Without taking big prescription bottles!

IDK maybe a service like pillpack ? I know there are services that handle am/***** stuff, including vitamins/supplements. Not sure which is easier-- tabs in little boxes or tabs in plastic pouches?

IDK maybe a service like pillpack ? I know there are services that handle am/***** stuff, including vitamins/supplements. Not sure which is easier-- tabs in little boxes or tabs in plastic pouches?

Maybe my fingers have gotten too fat for any of them!

I will admit, we are moderate over packers, we usually come home with a handful of things that haven't been worn, but the

question that kept coming back to my mind as I read through this thread was... Where does everyone unpack all these items and find place to store them in your cabin?

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

I will admit, we are moderate over packers, we usually come home with a handful of things that haven't been worn, but the

question that kept coming back to my mind as I read through this thread was... Where does everyone unpack all these items and find place to store them in your cabin?

We leave most of the "just in case" items in the luggage rather than unpack and repack a lot of things we'll probably not use. That saves time while giving the piece of mind of knowing we have them if needed.

In our aqua class room on Celebrity DH and I definitely struggled for space.

But on Princess I had tons of storage in a regular balcony room. For that trip, we were two girlfriends doing a first time cruise together. I overpacked and she overpacked even more than me. It was amazing and wonderful that everything had a place behind closed doors and inside drawers

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel

That’s a good point. I tend to over pack more than my wife and this leads to problems as you rightly say when you unpack in the cabin. We always have to ask for more hangers and we have negotiate how many hangers we each need. I like t-shirts and I take possibly too many of them because we either pre-stay or post stay. You have to rationalise clothes depending on your luggage allowance so the easy or the hard choices are directed by it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Exactly. This stuff takes up a lot of room. On the cruise to the Baltics I refused to be the "mule" for the family's tylenol/pepcidAC/Advil Sinus etc etc and spread it out. Amazing how much room I have in my bags when I am not carrying all of the "what if" stuff for 4 people in my bag.

Just went through this is sunscreen and after-sun spray. I bought it all--and Everyone had to pack theirs in their bag.

Now put the daily meds in those week long/individual plastic sorters. Taking 2 extra days (just i case) Day meds in a clear one, Night meds in a blue-green one. Saves on packing space. And one small bottle (mixed) of things like zyrtec/advil instead of individual bottles because even travel-sized adds up.

I do a sheet for the trip with what I am wearing each day and stick to a color palette.

We have traveled as a family on longer trips that included multiple formal nights and DH brought his tux, and we had tuxes delivered for the boys (they were younger/growing and didn't own their own tuxedos)

Planned right--the ship laundry can turn around dress shirts in time

See entry # 6

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2214451

It’s interesting how medication that is readily available either by prescription or over the counter at home may get you into trouble if you take it into other countries.

It’s interesting how medication that is readily available either by prescription or over the counter at home may get you into trouble if you take it into other countries.

I can see medical marijuana being a problem, but what other meds will get you into trouble?

I have always assumed that if you have a prescription or your otc meds are in their original package you might be questioned, but not that you’d actually be in trouble.

That’s scary!

Have read that people say keep all medications in their original bottles/with original labels.

Only been "brave" enough to move on from that on recent sailings. I suppose if traveling to Nations considered dicey for Americans then I might keep everything in their bottles.

after living overseas and having the ability to get some meds OTC in Europe (and elsewhere) that require a prescription in the US I am less concerned ... perhaps that is foolish? idk

In our aqua class room on Celebrity DH and I definitely struggled for space.

But on Princess I had tons of storage in a regular balcony room. For that trip, we were two girlfriends doing a first time cruise together. I overpacked and she overpacked even more than me. It was amazing and wonderful that everything had a place behind closed doors and inside drawers

On X S-class ships there's lots of space in the bathrooms for all the "what if" stuff. We use 8 cubes in the over the bed cabinets

10 1/2" x 10 1/2" x 11" fits perfectly 4 per side. They fold flat in the luggage and make that space very useable.

I take what if items in small quantities. Only takes a small amount of room in my carry on I a use quart size zip lock bag. I also pack larger items, like bug spray in a plastic bag in my suite case. unless you use special soap, shampoo, conditioner or hand lotion, no need to carry those items. of course bring your own sunblock as it is expensive on board.

I take my meds in those horrible little daily planners.

I also have in the pocket of my carryon the patient instructions for each one.

If I were ever questioned, I would just pull those out.

In 37 years of travel out of the US, I’ve never been questioned.

For our assorted First Aid items, hairbrushes, and lotions and potions, we use an inexpensive Dollar Store over the door shoe bag. It isn’t bulky and holds everything so it’s easy to grab.

The verdict is mixed on that, a lot of people say they have adequate space to store everything in the bathroom.

We are both over packers. My husband just says he keeps his eyes down when dragging all the luggage and don't make eye contact with people staring at all the suitcases. He figures if they are judging us we will not ever see 99% of them again after our cruise.

Too funny!! :'):')

I like to take lots of choices of jewellery and have looked at various ways of packing them without them all getting tangled. Still working on something for necklaces but I put my earrings in those plastic daily pill holders people are talking about.

I take my meds in those horrible little daily planners.

I also have in the pocket of my carryon the patient instructions for each one.

If I were ever questioned, I would just pull those out.

In 37 years of travel out of the US, I’ve never been questioned.

Thats a good thought. May have to scan the 2 bottles for the scripts. The rest I take are OTC or vit/supplements.

Years ago I saved / bookmarked this helpful thread--- traveling for a month including 12 night cruise...and so much wisdom from those wo travel in small roller bags worldwide. The idea that we need bags and bags of shoes and such seems very American...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1687293

Edited by Fogfog

I can see medical marijuana being a problem, but what other meds will get you into trouble?

I have always assumed that if you have a prescription or your otc meds are in their original package you might be questioned, but not that you’d actually be in trouble.

That’s scary!

Recently there have been arrests and imprisonments in Dubai (UAE) of UK visitors carrying legal cancer medication and other prescribed drugs. Banned items include sedatives found in cough syrups, codeine, amphetamines and others such as herbal medicines permitted in their countries of origin. I think the UAE is very much stricter than most places, but I know it is now included on Celebrity itineraries so something to be aware of. The UAE Customs website has 12 A4 pages listing banned medications.

All rather scary really.

Thats a good thought. May have to scan the 2 bottles for the scripts. The rest I take are OTC or vit/supplements.

Years ago I saved / bookmarked this helpful thread--- traveling for a month including 12 night cruise...and so much wisdom from those wo travel in small roller bags worldwide. The idea that we need bags and bags of shoes and such seems very American...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1687293

It's very simple. Some people have no trouble taking more luggage and like to look nice and have choices. Some people have no problem spending time doing laundry and making do. It's a personal choice and has nothing to do with wisdom either way. We usually travel for about 3 weeks at a time and have no problem bringing what we like.

It's very simple. Some people have no trouble taking more luggage and like to look nice and have choices. Some people have no problem spending time doing laundry and making do. It's a personal choice and has nothing to do with wisdom either way. We usually travel for about 3 weeks at a time and have no problem bringing what we like.

And there‘s a third option which is not to take more luggage, look nice and have choices, and not do laundry or ‘make do’. Wearing a shirt or pants or shorts or dress or etc a 2nd day isn’t a problem with looking nice, and having the ship do a few of the ones that do need cleaning is a great option to reduce packing/luggage. And we also buy a few nice pieces of clothing while on cruise and that may requires us to add one check-in bag, usually a Celebrity bag.

So I think we will go with this option.

Den

I like to take lots of choices of jewellery and have looked at various ways of packing them without them all getting tangled. Still working on something for necklaces but I put my earrings in those plastic daily pill holders people are talking about.

Try putting part of the necklace through a straw, the close the clasp...no tangles. If it's a chunkier necklace cut the toe off an old sock. Loop the half the necklace through and clasp. No tangles.:)

Try putting part of the necklace through a straw, the close the clasp...no tangles. If it's a chunkier necklace cut the toe off an old sock. Loop the half the necklace through and clasp. No tangles.:)

Will try, thank you.

And there‘s a third option which is not to take more luggage, look nice and have choices, and not do laundry or ‘make do’. Wearing a shirt or pants or shorts or dress or etc a 2nd day isn’t a problem with looking nice, and having the ship do a few of the ones that do need cleaning is a great option to reduce packing/luggage. And we also buy a few nice pieces of clothing while on cruise and that may requires us to add one check-in bag, usually a Celebrity bag.

So I think we will go with this option.

Den

As I said it's a personal choice and everyone is different.