Two newbuilds for AIDA, 180,000GT/6600pax

FreestyleNovice

Hmm..

None of those will be build in Finland I guess, strange.

I'm still impressed by the announced size, second largest class in the world and all German? Two?

Germany is a growth market, no doubt and I have no personal experience with AIDA but adding the numbers means an growth of around 30-40% in berths in 5 year, taken in that the older ships will be replaced.

Carnival Corp ordered 4 ships of this size, two to be built in Papenburg, 2 in Turku. The Papenburg ones are for AIDA. The other twos are for the "Costa Group" which can be AIDA, Costa or a new brand.

steamboats

Carnival Corp ordered 4 ships of this size, two to be built in Papenburg, 2 in Turku. The Papenburg ones are for AIDA. The other twos are for the "Costa Group" which can be AIDA, Costa or a new brand.

steamboats

I emailed Meyer Werft to try and find out.

As it stands they have three new builds for 2019 and a spare slot H2 2018 so I reckon they'll do a deal with Norwegian or Royal for one of theirs to be brought forward.

I emailed Meyer Werft to try and find out.

As it stands they have three new builds for 2019 and a spare slot H2 2018 so I reckon they'll do a deal with Norwegian or Royal for one of theirs to be brought forward.

Craig,

I´m pretty sure that Meyer does know what they are doing ;)! With the new construction method they might be able to finish more than 2 ships per year. As you may know they build sections which are then moved outside the building and later back in to put two sections plus bow and stern together. With this fairly new method (first used for the Quantum) they can build 1.5 ships in their large building.

steamboats

Craig,

I´m pretty sure that Meyer does know what they are doing ;)! With the new construction method they might be able to finish more than 2 ships per year. As you may know they build sections which are then moved outside the building and later back in to put two sections plus bow and stern together. With this fairly new method (first used for the Quantum) they can build 1.5 ships in their large building.

steamboats

I'm fully aware of the build process and construction techniques. Was just noting they'd said 2019 for 3 new builds and only one for 2018 so my bet is they'll build 4th quantum for float out end of 2018 then several months outside at the outfitting dock to finish, add the North Star etc whilst they build the Aida and Norwegian ships. We will see..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We received today a letter from Aida announcing a further delay of 6 months in the building process. They will replace the Aida Prima by the Aida Stella for the cruises in the Orient out of Dubai for the period December 2015 - April 2016.

We will receive an OBC of 100 Euro and we have the choice to change to another cruise departing until April 2017 or to cruise the initial itinary on the Stella

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

That's.. quite.. large.. AIDAinsane? AIDA is expecting a large growth?

Having difficulties understanding this one!

Germany is now the second biggest cruise market in the world and growing.

Carnival are just ensuring that they a bigger slice of it with their Aida brand.

Carnival clearly not happy with the delays to Aida Prima and the second one being built by Mitsubisihi heavy industries! Ugly looking ships with a Bow that is a throwback to the 1900s.

on the first pics of the four new ships for carnival it looks like they will have the same bow like the aida prima.

• 4 weeks later...
Carnival clearly not happy with the delays to Aida Prima and the second one being built by Mitsubisihi heavy industries! Ugly looking ships with a Bow that is a throwback to the 1900s.

Oh thèy are happy because of the penalty thèy Will pût to the shipyart in final thèy Will have a ship at a half-price [emoji16]

• 2 years later...

Aida has to cancel 4 cruises with each 4 days with the Nova. Meyer can´t deliver the Nova in time.

i booked the second cruise of the 4. i will get my money back and can book another aida cruise up to 14 days for the half price.

• 1 month later...

So finally there´s a new date for the hand over. It will take place on Wednesday, Dec 12th in Bremerhaven. The AIDAnova will then move on to the Canary Islands with a stop in Lisboa.

The first cruise is to start on Dec 19th in Gran Canaria.

steamboats

Hi all!  On the aida.de website there is a really good countdown clock.  Only 1hr 2mins to go at this time.

Really looking forward to our first Aida cruise.  We are going on the Aidanova on 16 Feb 2019.  We can't wait to see how it compares to the other lines (we have sailed on most of the others).  So far, so good, in that the service charge and mealtime alcoholic drinks are already included in the price!   We are sailing for an amazing price for 3 people in an inside guarantee but I think we booked at just the right time back in November when I think they knew the ship would not be ready in time!

1 hour to go on the clock now.

• 3 weeks later...