Galley tours

Be advised that the heart of the operation tour is really just a thinly veiled attempt to get you to book specialty dining. You'll be given a brief talk about things onboard, a look at the galley before being led into a restaurant where staff are there waiting to sell you dinners....

Be advised that the heart of the operation tour is really just a thinly veiled attempt to get you to book specialty dining. You'll be given a brief talk about things onboard, a look at the galley before being led into a restaurant where staff are there waiting to sell you dinners....

This is true, but having never been on even this tour before, it was informative enough for me and worth the 40 mins or so. It's amazing the amount of effort that goes into feeding everyone as well as the varied background of each of the chefs in charge. Once we got to the restaurant bit I just kept walking...

Guessing it's a free tour or more would be complaining about it as being a sales pitch. Must be somewhat early on during the cruise too or heavy discounts to fill the restaurants - people would have bought the dinner packages already if they wanted one.

I recently did a behind the scenes tour of the Silhouette and it was amazing. The galley and food storage was a major component. It was offered on a sea and totally worth the money for anyone who has an interest how things work down to the engine control room up to the bridge. You should do it.

I recently did a behind the scenes tour of the Silhouette and it was amazing. The galley and food storage was a major component. It was offered on a sea and totally worth the money for anyone who has an interest how things work down to the engine control room up to the bridge. You should do it.

We, too, did the Behind the Scenes tour are really enjoyed it.

The Geek in me found the Engine Control Room fascinating.

No sales pitch whatsoever.

I think the OP was referring to the [free] "The Heartbeat of the Operation" tour, which apparently is a thinly disguised money grab.

There are two kinds of galley tours....the free "heartbeat of the operation" and the pay tour "behind the scenes". Apples and oranges.

There is actually a third type - assuming they still do them. Non-public by invitation tours either arranged through roll call / connections party, or by Captain's Club host for elites, etc. We've had both in the past. No sales pitch whatsoever.

Mike

There is actually a third type - assuming they still do them. Non-public by invitation tours either arranged through roll call / connections party, or by Captain's Club host for elites, etc. We've had both in the past. No sales pitch whatsoever.

Mike

Four types then as Suite guests also receive private invitations to such events.

I forgot about the Elite tour -- and I never knew that there could be a tour for Suites. So I think the definitive answer is, yes there are tours of the galley!

Suite guests can ask concierge for a tour of anywhere. There are absolutely no guarantees this will happen. But if you're polite....

Were discounts offered when they tried to sell you dinners? Just curious, we usually book specialty dining ahead, but we are in Blu and we aren't sure how often we will eat elsewhere.

Yes. You'll find discounts offered all over the ship in various guises for the duration of your cruise.

If you aren't offered discounts, ask for one....maybe $30 each for Murano, etc. You'd be surprised how many times they say...ok...or counter with $35. If you don't get a discount one day...ask someone else, or even the same person the next day....it is a very rare cruise where we aren't offered a discount.....after the first night. On many/most sailings, there is a 20%-30% discount on specialty restaurants the first night....ask when you get on board.

Were discounts offered when they tried to sell you dinners? Just curious, we usually book specialty dining ahead, but we are in Blu and we aren't sure how often we will eat elsewhere.

After the galley tour, there were no discounts available. "Only two openings that night" and asking for full price. With the number of cruisers taking the tour of the galley, they had no problem selling the remaining tables.

I forgot about the Elite tour -- and I never knew that there could be a tour for Suites. So I think the definitive answer is, yes there are tours of the galley!

Also, some of the chef's dinners offer as part of the "excursion" a galley tour. And, the one we did was during dinner operations. Amazing to watch all the action. :)