Overbooked cruise and turned away at port

mat781

I know this thread is a year old, but I don't understand why the OP wasn't given a cabin number when the agent confirmed the booking.... unless I missed something?

the travel agent was very slack if that's the case..... when we were booking our cruise from memory on the celebrity website we could not choose a room - one would automatically be 'assigned' to us upon confirmation and payment of deposit (not 100% sure)

Wife contacted 3 travel agents and one said they could get us a room on deck 9 with $150 OBC each and a classic beverage package each - for about the same price as booking direct with celebrity.

We have our cabin number and reservation is confirmed, so hopefully they won't overbook the cruise!

there have been a couple of times when we were flying and we were told by the airline that it had been overbooked - one was when we checked in and lucky we were early and we made the flight, the other one was on the day of a flight my wife got phoned and asked if we could change to another flight as our one was overbooked... unfortunately we couldn't change flights, but we were able to get on the flight

I would not have traveled so far if I did not have my assigned cabin. Normally when one reserves a GTY cabin it is assigned in the following days. Others say that it has been assigned at the port. But the risk of traveling so far without the cabin is very high.

I know this thread is a year old, but I don't understand why the OP wasn't given a cabin number when the agent confirmed the booking.... unless I missed something?

the travel agent was very slack if that's the case..... when we were booking our cruise from memory on the celebrity website we could not choose a room - one would automatically be 'assigned' to us upon confirmation and payment of deposit (not 100% sure)

Wife contacted 3 travel agents and one said they could get us a room on deck 9 with $150 OBC each and a classic beverage package each - for about the same price as booking direct with celebrity.

We have our cabin number and reservation is confirmed, so hopefully they won't overbook the cruise!

there have been a couple of times when we were flying and we were told by the airline that it had been overbooked - one was when we checked in and lucky we were early and we made the flight, the other one was on the day of a flight my wife got phoned and asked if we could change to another flight as our one was overbooked... unfortunately we couldn't change flights, but we were able to get on the flight

If you book a GTY, you may not be given a cabin number right up until you board ;).

Old thread...do a search. This was a hot topic awhile ago. Hope there are no recent instances.

When it comes to cruise travel we always hope for the best...never do unrefundable air and get insurance

Never heard anyone experience this. Sounds like it would be rare indeed.

- Joel

It is rare, but it happens. X just handles it badly. Here's a couple of posts here on this board:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2504470 (user P18750 bumped 2 weeks before cruise,but X found room for them) Here's the original post before the issue was resolved with details from others who have had it happen: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2483289

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2544130 (user djmarchand bumped 2 days before cruise, but fought and X found room for them)

Old thread...do a search. This was a hot topic awhile ago. Hope there are no recent instances.

When it comes to cruise travel we always hope for the best...never do unrefundable air and get insurance

We always do unrefundable air and never get insurance!

The cruise was with Celebrity on one of their Australia / New Zealand sailings.

Yes it was a guarantee room.

A search on Cruise Critic for "overbooked cruise" comes up with a few threads.

Thanks for everyone's replies so far. Interesting to hear from a few very experienced cruisers that this is not heard of before. Maybe we really were very unlucky!

Unlucky barely begins to describe the situation! "Guarantee" means just that. You are guaranteed a cabin. It might be the worst one on the ship but it is a cabin. I have booked guarantee a number of times with other lines and had no problems, usually getting at least a one category upgrade. Never have had one on Celebrity but also have never heard of this happening to anyone before. I hope you were fairly compensated.

P.S. Just saw this was an old thread....but an interesting one. We were bumped by Celebrity for a charter but well in advance..However, it was a one of a kind itinerary and we will never be able to take that cruise. The cruise we did book was the only one compatible with the land tour the TA was marketing with it and not one of the totally unacceptable ones that were offered with a small OBC. We paid more and got no OBC for our upcoming X cruise in February but will be going on the land tour following. Very expensive for us and I hope the Austrian doctors who had the charter enjoyed themselves at my expense, lol. (Someone on roll call found out who chartered our cruise.)

Edited by HokiePoq