Ocean Medallion/Pacemaker

pcee1548

I don't know how much is fluff, and how much is real, but I don't care to take risks until Princess clearly states they will take all responsibility if dh shuts down.

In answer to some of the questions, those that I know,,,,, YES , magnets are dangerous, NO, he NEVER goes through those checks at museums and such, they wave him to the side when he shows his card. NO, he does not get his phone near his left side, he was told to ONLY use it on the right side by his doctor. Yes, he does use bluetooth, in part to keep his phone away from the pacemaker.

Let me add this link, that lists the do's and don'ts of pacemakers by the american heart ass..

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Arrhythmia/PreventionTreatmentofArrhythmia/Devices-that-may-Interfere-with-Pacemakers_UCM_302013_Article.jsp#

I don't know how real or merely perceived are the risks, but I would feel better if Princess would step up with more clarity on the matter. This is life or death, not a game on the net to be guessed at.

Are we permitted to opt for the old swipe cards on these new systems?

I don't know how much is fluff, and how much is real, but I don't care to take risks until Princess clearly states they will take all responsibility if dh shuts down.

In answer to some of the questions, those that I know,,,,, YES , magnets are dangerous, NO, he NEVER goes through those checks at museums and such, they wave him to the side when he shows his card. NO, he does not get his phone near his left side, he was told to ONLY use it on the right side by his doctor. Yes, he does use bluetooth, in part to keep his phone away from the pacemaker.

Let me add this link, that lists the do's and don'ts of pacemakers by the american heart ass..

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Arrhythmia/PreventionTreatmentofArrhythmia/Devices-that-may-Interfere-with-Pacemakers_UCM_302013_Article.jsp#

I don't know how real or merely perceived are the risks, but I would feel better if Princess would step up with more clarity on the matter. This is life or death, not a game on the net to be guessed at.

Are we permitted to opt for the old swipe cards on these new systems?

I don't know about getting the swipe cards but remember there will be electronic readers scattered all over the ship which will be transmitting a low level signal at 2.4 GHZ looking for the *****. This is the only way the ship can track the individual OMs. No matter where pax go on the ship, they will be "bathed" in the signal. So refusing to use the ***** seems rather senseless if one wants to avoid the electromagnetic waves that the ***** will emit when they come in contact with the reader's output. What is the point? :confused:

I don't know about getting the swipe cards but remember there will be electronic readers scattered all over the ship which will be transmitting a low level signal at 2.4 GHZ looking for the *****. This is the only way the ship can track the individual OMs. No matter where pax go on the ship, they will be "bathed" in the signal. So refusing to use the ***** seems rather senseless if one wants to avoid the electromagnetic waves that the ***** will emit when they come in contact with the reader's output. What is the point? :confused:

DS pointed this out last night while we were talking. While we were chatting we also found where one should be careful not to linger around security gates at stores. Interesting. So, is Princess going to bother to clearly mark where these areas are so dh and others can be careful??? Man! I finally find a cruise line I like again, and now I'm feeling uncertain of its' future. Ugh.

On a side note, Disney made a clear statement about their rfid devices and pacemakers. Princess....STEP UP!!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/my-disney-experience/frequency-technology/

This really concerns us. DH has a pacemaker/defibrillator, and we have been worried about problems with pacemakers and ***** since they were announced. Also, I'm very allergic to nickel, and it has been suggested that I might have to carry it in my pocket or carry a purse.

This really concerns us. DH has a pacemaker/defibrillator, and we have been worried about problems with pacemakers and ***** since they were announced. Also, I'm very allergic to nickel, and it has been suggested that I might have to carry it in my pocket or carry a purse.

After another hour worth of research last night with dh(puter techie) and ds(electrical engineer), I have fewer concerns with the medallion at this point. Folks here were right about going to the manufacturer site for more info. That helped a lot.

HOWEVER, I still believe Princess should make VERY clear on their site, without one having to spend hours of research, the safety of their medallion program and how it potentially would or would not effect pacemakers. They could ease the minds of a lot of folks by clarifying this information and even posting the link to the manufacturer so folks can easily research further or contact their doctors armed with actual information.

I still say, Princess needs to step up!

After another hour worth of research last night with dh(puter techie) and ds(electrical engineer), I have fewer concerns with the medallion at this point. Folks here were right about going to the manufacturer site for more info. That helped a lot.

HOWEVER, I still believe Princess should make VERY clear on their site, without one having to spend hours of research, the safety of their medallion program and how it potentially would or would not effect pacemakers. They could ease the minds of a lot of folks by clarifying this information and even posting the link to the manufacturer so folks can easily research further or contact their doctors armed with actual information.

I still say, Princess needs to step up!

Are you saying it's safe? If yes, I guess they could just say so, but then who knows what things they may be libel for. And really, for example, do they say that the metal detectors are safe for pacemakers? Electronics in the theater? Are the key cards? etc. I guess my point is that it's not customary to indicate that things are "safe" but rather to announce when certain precautions should be taken. So, why would Princess announce that the Medallion is safe?

If Princess would "step up" as some have suggested and say that the ***** is definitely safe for pax with pacemakers, their corporate attorneys would be going crazy. That would be a huge liability statement that is not going to happen. While it may be a royal pain, every pax with some medical device embedded in their body is responsible for determining when they have to be careful. That advice needs to come from the manufacturer since they are the best source of information on the device and their medical practitioner.

A clear statement needs to be made. I feel they are MORE liable without one. A statement similar to, "Medallions have RFID technology that 'could' effect pacemakers if placed within x inches of the pacemaker. Also, we use blue tooth technology throughout the ship in conjunction with the medallions. Please consult your physician and/or pacemaker manufacturer with any concerns."

They are not declaring it to be dangerous, merely stating current systems being used. Asking one's physician if something is safe without knowing what something is, is useless. Having to search out the internet for answers that should be easily found is sad.

A clear statement needs to be made. I feel they are MORE liable without one. A statement similar to, "Medallions have RFID technology that 'could' effect pacemakers if placed within x inches of the pacemaker. Also, we use blue tooth technology throughout the ship in conjunction with the medallions. Please consult your physician and/or pacemaker manufacturer with any concerns."

They are not declaring it to be dangerous, merely stating current systems being used. Asking one's physician if something is safe without knowing what something is, is useless. Having to search out the internet for answers that should be easily found is sad.

Do you go to your grocery stores website and look for this same information? Your bank, ballpark venue, museum, preforming arts venue, high rise office building, court house, hospital?

You are far safer with the new ***** technology than with the security scanner at your grocery store.

When you have a medical device implanted in your body it is YOUR responsibility to keep yourself safe. That is one of the reasons you get that wallet card with all the information like model number and phone number to call if you have questions.

Princess can not be expected to know the medical safety of the millions of medical devices out there and frankly that is not their job.

You have one device ( well most have only one) and the responsibility to know how to keep yourself safe. Call the 800 number and talk to your device expert. They love talking to their patients.

I agree.

If they're not safe around pacemakers, I wouldn't think that Princess would have released them in the first place. Same type of setup that Disney uses isn't it?

Tom

The ***** is not only the same technology used by Disney and others but Princess hired people that did work for Disney to implement it on Princess and later other Carnival Corp ships.

• 1 year later...

Contact your pacemaker company or pacemaker clinic you go to is the best advice.

I will do this. If enough people who travel do this, maybe the pacemaker companies will do more research to make them good to travel. Boston Scientific and Medtronic are the only two pacemaker companies who make pacemakers and they have standardized them to replaced anywhere in the world.

Heather

On 12/11/2017 at 1:47 PM, indygirl99 said:

For those who have a pacemaker do you use a cell phone?

Do you use the apple watch/fitbit?

Do you use Bluetooth in your car?

Do you play with those virtual reality glasses?

Do you go through the scanners at the airport/ ball games/museums?

Was your pacemaker installed after 2000?

If so and you haven't dropped dead yet you don't need to worry about the Medallion knocking you off either.

Princess is just CYA.

Talk to the manufacture who made your pacemaker. You know the card you carry that has the model number/serial number on it. Talk to your cardiologist who maintains your pacemaker and you will find that the vast majority of the "cautions" about not using xyz with a pacemaker are lawyer related.

And before anyone accuses me of not knowing what I am talking about I have a pacemaker and have talked to my cardiologist, my electro physiologist and 2 of the major manufactures of the pacemakers.

This will be just like when they first came out with the keycards for hotel room doors and warned that if you had a pacemaker you couldn't use a keycard. Or your work ID being used to unlock secured doors.

Do your own due diligence but don't buy into the hysteria.

Princess will do better job with their research when they have a large number of passengers refusing the Medallion based on this.

I have an ICD / pacemaker device and just spoke with the manufacturer of my device.  They said it would be fine but to keep the Medallion at least 6 inches from my device area; if my ICD/pacemaker was being affected by the Medallion (or any other magnetic / RFID item) it would emit about 10 "beeps" or some sort of tone and the shocking ability would be suspended until I moved away from the item causing this.  Then the shocking capability of the ICD would be immediately restored.  I think I will leave the Medallion in my pocket....

I don't have a pacemaker but there is no way I'd wear the thing on a lanyard. I've never done so with my cruise card either. I'm always amazed at the people walking around onshore with their card hanging around their neck.

I'm on my 3rd ICD and had my first implanted about 14 years and my current Medtronic model is a combo ICD/pacemaker.  When I received my first device, I was nervous about being on the top deck of the ship in proximity to all of the radar and other electronics.  So, I talked to the Medtronic engineer attached to my doctor's office.  He assured me I was OK with being no closer than a passenger can normally get to that equipment.  To be extra cautious, I called Medtronic and asked their experts and got essentially the same response, with the added comment to relax and enjoy my cruise.  So, my advice:  don't rely on advice from this board; instead talk with your device maker and/or your clinician.  By the way, don't be critical of Princess for not giving you what is essentially medical advice -- no company would or should.  Please relax and enjoy your cruise and be thankful for these devices.  Mine has literally saved my life 5 times.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:00 PM, FritzG said:

I just got off the Royal and I also have a pacemaker.  I carried the Medallion in my purse and it worked just fine.  The stateroom door opened when I got about 3 feet from it.  I didn't use it for any other purpose like buying drinks or ? so I can't say if it recognized me anywhere else.

2 hours ago, CRUISEWITHH said:

I just got off the Royal and I also have a pacemaker.  I carried the Medallion in my purse and it worked just fine.  The stateroom door opened when I got about 3 feet from it.  I didn't use it for any other purpose like buying drinks or ? so I can't say if it recognized me anywhere else.

Thanks for the info.  Do you also have a defibrillator?  

On 12/11/2017 at 12:31 PM, cruise4kicks said:

It is my understanding that the ***** attaches to the band/pendant/lanyard/etc. with a magnet. Are magnets a concern for those with pacemakers?

From Medtronic:

... there is a small magnetically activated switch built into the electronics of pacemakers and implantable

defibrillators.  This internal switch is designed to close when a magnet of enough strength is placed over it...

https://www.medtronic.com/us-en/patients/electromagnetic-guide/frequently-asked-questions.html

I am not a physician.  Ask yours.

Edited by Haboob

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, GreatgrandmaC said:

I notice there are no posts for the past two years regarding the Ocean Medallion and implanted pacemaker/defibrillator.  Anything new?

What?  There are posts here from April and May, 5-6 months ago.  They are quoting posts from two years ago, though.  EM

I have a pacemaker.  Was on the Regal in February.  I had concerns even after my Cardiologist told me it wouldn't be a problem.  Called Medtronics just to get one more opinion.  Was told nothing to be worried about the engineer told me that in every day life I'm exposed to RFID frequently. He said he they still get calls from people afraid to operate a microwave.  If you still have concerns call your pacemaker manufacturer.