Answering Questions on Asia

ronbetty2001

Just back from 2 week Asia Immersion Cruise on Celebrity Millennium. Willing to answer any questions I can to try and pay forward for advise given by others to help make our trip so special.

Itinerary:

Hong Kong, overnight (one night before cruise)

Hanoi (La Long Bay)

Da Nang

Siagon (Ho Chi Mind)

Thailand (Bangkok overnight)

Singapore overnight

5 nights Siem Reap after cruise

Capt. Ron

Did you get your Vietnam visa thru Celebrity/TA or by your own?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The ship provided all visas for all countries. For overnight stays you'll need an over night Visa for Vietnam and a passport picture, ship will again provide Visa. We took some with us, otherwise the ship photographer will provide, I'm sure at some additional cost. Vietnam had raised the Visa cost (for overnight ONLY) to $140.00UD per person. Which really hit us, BUT they only charged our on board account $28.00US each, which is the Canadian rate. The Visas are pretty screwy in this country. Regardless the ship will provide all Visas and if there is a cost, they'll inform you in advance and charge your on board account. Hong Kong, Thailand and Singapore there was no charge. We stayed over night in Bangkok and don't remember if we needed an additional passport picture or not for that overnight Visa, suggest you bring one anyway. We took four extra passport pictures with us for Siem Reap also. When you leave for Vietnam the ship will require you to give them your passport to hold, required by Vietnam law, no worries, if your staying over night. They return your passport for overnight stays in both Vietnam and Thailand. Once you return you give them back your passport while traveling in Vietnam. After Thailand I believe we kept our passports in our cabin safe.

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron

Did you use private tours, if so what companies? Of the places you stopped at we will be in the following ports in April 2018 on Royal's Ovation

Ho Chi Minh (Saigon)

Chan May Port (Hue/Danang)

Hong Kong (overnight)

Singapore

Thanks a lot

Edited by PCWalton1

The ship provided all visas for all countries. For overnight stays you'll need an over night Visa for Vietnam and a passport picture, ship will again provide Visa. We took some with us, otherwise the ship photographer will provide, I'm sure at some additional cost. Vietnam had raised the Visa cost (for overnight ONLY) to $140.00UD per person. Which really hit us, BUT they only charged our on board account $28.00US each, which is the Canadian rate. The Visas are pretty screwy in this country. Regardless the ship will provide all Visas and if there is a cost, they'll inform you in advance and charge your on board account. Hong Kong, Thailand and Singapore there was no charge. We stayed over night in Bangkok and don't remember if we needed an additional passport picture or not for that overnight Visa, suggest you bring one anyway. We took four extra passport pictures with us for Siem Reap also. When you leave for Vietnam the ship will require you to give them your passport to hold, required by Vietnam law, no worries, if your staying over night. They return your passport for overnight stays in both Vietnam and Thailand. Once you return you give them back your passport while traveling in Vietnam. After Thailand I believe we kept our passports in our cabin safe.

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron

Nice tip on passport picture. All along, I thought the Vietnam visa was US$30. Thanks for your guidance.

Wondering if you did Ankor Wat on your own? How did that go? Did you fly from Singapore? Do you need a visa?

After the cruise we left early at 6:00am, easy immigration in Singapore, open 24/7. Flew SilkAir, one of the only direct flights from Singapore to Siem Reap. We have a driver and a guide. Thank God for the car with A/C and ice cold towels upon our return. I highly recommend you do this as the heat and humidity get really take a toll on you. The sites are to far a part for Tuk Tuks I think and the A/C is a lifesaver. No way I would do this trip without a guide, regardless of what others say, I paid less for 3 days with driver/car and guide then I paid for just 8 hours of a guide in Europe.

Let me know I could send our guide companies info.

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron

Wondering if you did Ankor Wat on your own? How did that go? Did you fly from Singapore? Do you need a visa?

Forgot about the Visa. Yes, you'll need a Visa, you get at the airport. The cost is $30.00/each US Dollars. You must bring a passport picture also, we had 2 just to be safe. There were a lot of planes landing on Sunday, so it took about 45 minutes to get processed. Airport does have A/C. FYI: It is the most expensive airport around. Buy in Singapore not at Siem Reap.

Capt. Ron

• 2 weeks later...

We are cruising Singapore to China then back down through the Philippines back to Singapore early January and wondering if it is wise to get any inoculations? Our TA says no but others say yes but these people haven't cruised there and only visited which I would think would be different

We would be doing ships tours with lunch ashore at certain ports which we would presume those restaurants would be safe

We would also take bottled water off the ship

Thanks for any help

We have hepatitis and yellow vaccinations from previous trips to the Amazon. Check your country's tropical health institute website for precise information.

You are right, cruise ship excursions are no back country expeditions. We avoid ice cubes, salads, fruit that cannot be peeled. The one time I forgot this rule in Ecuador, I got sick. However, we never had any issues with cruise line arranged restaurants ashore - any kind of food, salads, fruit.

We will be very careful with mosquito protection because of dengue and other diseases transmitted by mosquitoes. In my experience, this is the most important protection off a cruise ship. Even with only one mosquito around, it will find my husband. We now have a roll-on repellent for his wrists in addition to sprays, long sleeves, long pants, socks, and a hat.

Your cruise itinerary sounds fascinating. Enjoy!

We have hepatitis and yellow vaccinations from previous trips to the Amazon. Check your country's tropical health institute website for precise information.

You are right, cruise ship excursions are no back country expeditions. We avoid ice cubes, salads, fruit that cannot be peeled. The one time I forgot this rule in Ecuador, I got sick. However, we never had any issues with cruise line arranged restaurants ashore - any kind of food, salads, fruit.

We will be very careful with mosquito protection because of dengue and other diseases transmitted by mosquitoes. In my experience, this is the most important protection off a cruise ship. Even with only one mosquito around, it will find my husband. We now have a roll-on repellent for his wrists in addition to sprays, long sleeves, long pants, socks, and a hat.

Your cruise itinerary sounds fascinating. Enjoy!

Thanks for that

It was just that the wife went to her doctor and was told she needed everything. In the past cruises we have found that a travel doctor will also tell you you need everything when you dont really

TA asking today but its probually to late as what I have read one needs 4 to 6 weeks

After the cruise we left early at 6:00am, easy immigration in Singapore, open 24/7. Flew SilkAir, one of the only direct flights from Singapore to Siem Reap. We have a driver and a guide. Thank God for the car with A/C and ice cold towels upon our return. I highly recommend you do this as the heat and humidity get really take a toll on you. The sites are to far a part for Tuk Tuks I think and the A/C is a lifesaver. No way I would do this trip without a guide, regardless of what others say, I paid less for 3 days with driver/car and guide then I paid for just 8 hours of a guide in Europe.

Let me know I could send our guide companies info.

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron

Hi Capt. Ron,

We plan to spend 4 nights in Siem Reap in February after a Millennium cruise from Shanghai to Hong Kong. Your suggestions are very helpful. I would like to take you up on your offer for information about your guide: please send the name of your guide, how to contact them, what you thought of them, and the cost. My email is gdcolville at comcast dot net.

Thanks,

Dianne

Hi Capt. Ron,

We plan to spend 4 nights in Siem Reap in February after a Millennium cruise from Shanghai to Hong Kong. Your suggestions are very helpful. I would like to take you up on your offer for information about your guide: please send the name of your guide, how to contact them, what you thought of them, and the cost. My email is gdcolville at comcast dot net.

Thanks,

Dianne

I have sent you our itinerary and the other requested information. As stated in the Email please read my Tripadvisor review for Angkor Guide Sam Day Tours. It is long but I hope will be very useful for your trip. It also goes into some of the other things we did in Siem Reap.

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron

Thank you Capt. Ron,

Between your comments above, your email, and Trip Advisor review, tons of information. I am the family travel planner and thought I knew a lot about Siem Reap and the temples, but I now realize I have more to study in order to make a decision about which tours to book.

One more question for you (at least for now) regarding your tour to Kampong Pluk, the floating village. What was it about that experience that you felt was not worthwhile?

Dianne

Thank you Capt. Ron,

Between your comments above, your email, and Trip Advisor review, tons of information. I am the family travel planner and thought I knew a lot about Siem Reap and the temples, but I now realize I have more to study in order to make a decision about which tours to book.

One more question for you (at least for now) regarding your tour to Kampong Pluk, the floating village. What was it about that experience that you felt was not worthwhile?

Dianne

Sure,

After seeing a fishing village in Hong Kong, then a floating village in Bangkok, we saw no reason to see another floating village. It is just houses, bars, church and government buildings etc. on stilts in the water. We saw no value in staying for longer then it took to sail around on an old boat and see how hard that way of life must be. After that we rode on the boat to the large lake, again not much to see, although the lake is giant and you can't see the other shore. Again, not our cup of tea, so too speak. Would have rather seen something usual which we felt the floating village was not. Some people I guess would find it something to see, but, just not us. It was the same as going to the river of a thousand Lingas and 100' tall water fall. Some would find it interesting, while we were unimpressed. These are just our personal thoughts and others may find these types of things more interesting then we would or did. I know it is rated as something to see on Tripadvisor, I just don't know why. With so many other things to see and experience in Siem Reap, I can't see why these are so highly rated. Maybe having traveled so much as we have, we're tainted. I would had rather gone on a quad ride into the jungle to see remote villages etc. if I had to do over.

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron

Sure,

After seeing a fishing village in Hong Kong, then a floating village in Bangkok, we saw no reason to see another floating village. It is just houses, bars, church and government buildings etc. on stilts in the water. We saw no value in staying for longer then it took to sail around on an old boat and see how hard that way of life must be. After that we rode on the boat to the large lake, again not much to see, although the lake is giant and you can't see the other shore. Again, not our cup of tea, so too speak. Would have rather seen something usual which we felt the floating village was not. Some people I guess would find it something to see, but, just not us. It was the same as going to the river of a thousand Lingas and 100' tall water fall. Some would find it interesting, while we were unimpressed. These are just our personal thoughts and others may find these types of things more interesting then we would or did. I know it is rated as something to see on Tripadvisor, I just don't know why. With so many other things to see and experience in Siem Reap, I can't see why these are so highly rated. Maybe having traveled so much as we have, we're tainted. I would had rather gone on a quad ride into the jungle to see remote villages etc. if I had to do over.

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron

I signed up for Angkor Sams 2 day mini and grand tour....no village on that itinerary. Do you think that's a better choice? We'll probably get to the Mekong from Saigon on our trip (we're doing our trip land).

I signed up for Angkor Sams 2 day mini and grand tour....no village on that itinerary. Do you think that's a better choice? We'll probably get to the Mekong from Saigon on our trip (we're doing our trip land).

I believe it is, also you can always have your hotel set up that Village trip for you if you change your mind. You could also DIY, many people do as you don't really need a guide as there's not much to tell you about the Village, it's more visual than historical.

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Captain,

I am getting ready for a cruise through Thailand, Cambodia, Singapore , Myranmar, Ski Lanka and India.

Do you know if American dollars are accepted in any of these countries? I don't need a lot of cash, just small amounts if I might want to buy something from the small local vendors. Many times on ship's excursions, there isn't time to visit an ATM.

I appreciate any help that you can pass on to me.

Thanks,

Kathy

Edited by katz

Hi,

Was there any difficulty boarding Millennium in Hong Kong without having already being in possession of a Vietnam Visa?

Your postings are very informative. Thanks

Sorry for the late post, been busy at work.

None what so ever as far as boarding Hong Kong was very efficient about boarding/immigration.

All VISAs are handled by the ship and very easy. As I've said before, if you are going to be off the ship overnight there is another VISA required, the ship will handle that for you. There is an additional charge for an overnight VISA, we paid the Canadian rate of $29.00USD per person (we are American which is $149.00per person), please take an extra couple of passport pictures with you as they are required. The ship can provide those also if you don't have extra's with you. Remember the ship visits theese ports often and knows what you'll need and will handle everything for you, just let them know your plans in advance (when you're on board) and they'll handle everything for you. Any charges are added to your on board account.

Capt. Ron

Hi Captain,

I am getting ready for a cruise through Thailand, Cambodia, Singapore , Myranmar, Ski Lanka and India.

Do you know if American dollars are accepted in any of these countries? I don't need a lot of cash, just small amounts if I might want to buy something from the small local vendors. Many times on ship's excursions, there isn't time to visit an ATM.

I appreciate any help that you can pass on to me.

Thanks,

Kathy

There are ATMs at the ports of call in Thailand and Singapore. At the Siem Reap airport in Cambodia they also have ATMs.

In Singapore they will only take Singapore Dollars, easy to get.

In Cambodia they will take US Dollars every where, they're Dong dollars are not internationally traded and are hard to get in advance of your trip.

In Thailand they only will except Thai Dollars, easy to get from ATMs at port of entry.

Didn't go to Myranmar, Sri Lanka or India so no comment on those countries.

I always order money in advance of my travels from my US bank, don't need ATMs that much. In most countries there are plenty of ATMs and banks to get local currency from. Vietnam is a little different as the ports of call don't really have a building etc. to enter the country so ATMs are not as convenient to find. Vietnam does except US Dollars almost everywhere you'll go (except small out of the way, non-tourist places), so no problem.

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron

Hi Capt. Ron,

Many thanks for that information. Just 21 days to go for our first cruise. Looking forward to it.

P

I'm sure you'll have the time of your life. This part of the world was very different for us and very memorable. Embrace and enjoy all the differences.

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron