Red Hook to Manhattan Ferry

Solent Richard

Having found inspiration on these pages, and particularly from 'Post Captain'...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2519678

...I have hopefully written a definitive guide on the NYC Ferry service between Red Hook and Pier 11, Manhattan on my cruise blog...

37090685266_d891e63f69_z.jpg

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/09/25/new-york-brooklyn-transfers-update/

36609638103_cdfc1a63cb_z.jpg

36609637423_778a48b728_z.jpg

37421445055_74a7f85a7e_z.jpg

If any member does have any further advice or comment I am always happy to update the blog

Thank you so much for that really helpfull post- I will try the ferry when I have my New York day before going back on board for the journey home. Is there a ticket counter in Red Hook or just machines?

https://www.ferry.nyc/account/

WHERE TO BUY A TICKET

• Our App is available for download on your iPhone and Android phone. This is the fastest tap and go option.
  • Ticket Agent: If you don’t have access to the App or website, our Ticket Agents are more than happy to help with your order.

• Ticket Vending Machine (Ticket Machine): Readily available at the landings.

• Website: Tickets purchased through the website can only be redeemed through our App, available for download in the App store.

The Android version of the app doesn't have good reviews, and for a foreign visitor I'd be concerned about whether it needs data access and how much data it requires. Luckily you can purchase tickets from the machine at the landing, or even after boarding.

Solent Richard ~

Good work on the blog! And thanks for the credit -- I'm glad to have been of help.

In late July I shot another video outside the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, this time showing the walk from the ferry landing to the terminal and back in "real time," as well as giving a brief look around the ferry landing itself. I've only just gotten around to posting it on YouTube, and have linked to it below. Not a professional production by any means, I'm afraid, but it might be of some use in showing others just how easy it is to use the ferry to travel between the cruise terminal and Manhattan.

Bon voyage, cheers, and many happy returns!

~ John (aka Post Captain)

• 2 months later...

FYI - The NY Times recently published a series of articles on the success of the NYC Ferries (especially since the fares are now subsidized to bring them in line with the normal MTA subway fares.)

NYT article on ferry success

Also checking out the ferry website, it appears that the Wall St stop is the primary pier for Manhattan, and the only one downtown (besides the classic Staten Island Ferry) So - I'd assume that there should be taxis and probably upcoming bus expansion to accommodate the new passengers.

NY Ferry website route info

Sorry for my delay in getting back here with my experiences with new NY ferry. I have to thank the OP and all the others who provided so much help- and really did make a difference while spending my day in New York at my back to back Transatlantik voyage last month! The service provided von NYC ferry is just great. It took me all but 20 minutes from leaving my cabin to debark at Pier 11 Wall Street. The ride from Brooklyn to Wall Street alone is worth going. Wonderful and so efficent!

I wish Cunard would stay overnight in New York while doing their Transatlantics- with that new service I rather dock in Brooklyn than in Manhattan itself!

Thanks again for that great help and all the informations! Much appreciated.

Sorry for my delay in getting back here with my experiences with new NY ferry. I have to thank the OP and all the others who provided so much help- and really did make a difference while spending my day in New York at my back to back Transatlantik voyage last month! The service provided von NYC ferry is just great. It took me all but 20 minutes from leaving my cabin to debark at Pier 11 Wall Street. The ride from Brooklyn to Wall Street alone is worth going. Wonderful and so efficent!

I wish Cunard would stay overnight in New York while doing their Transatlantics- with that new service I rather dock in Brooklyn than in Manhattan itself!

Thanks again for that great help and all the informations! Much appreciated.

How did you purchase your ticket in the end did you pay onboard in the end from Red Hook with cash or credit card

Hi Richard, this would have eased all the concerns of the Aurora passengers on her New York visit in September. Was this opened at that time? May be worth posting on the P&O page for next year if the same thing happens.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Richard, this would have eased all the concerns of the Aurora passengers on her New York visit in September. Was this opened at that time? May be worth posting on the P&O page for next year if the same thing happens.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Reports from earlier this year indicate the South Brooklyn ferry route being discussed here began service on June 1, 2017. I haven't had a chance to use that service yet, but am planning on giving it a try next June based on the positive comments and useful information found on this forum.

Regards, John

We'll be boarding in Red Hook next week and I'm trying to compare the cost of the ferry vs. taking a cab through the Battery Tunnel and waiting to be discharged at the pier. Does anyone have a feel for how long the inbound taxis wait in queue, around 11:30 AM or noon? NYC cabs charge 50 cents per minute of waiting or slow moving...

I know I'll save money overall to be dropped at the Manhattan ferry terminal, now I'm trying to see whether the savings justifies the hassle of ferry with luggage.

We've done the taxi / car service thing into the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal five times now, arriving at approximately 11:30-12:00 each time. The amount time we've spent working our way through the queue from outside the terminal to the curbside passenger drop off point has varied from as little as 10 minutes to as long as 30 minutes. For the purposes of your taxi fare calculations, I'd suggest splitting the difference and figuring on about 20 minutes in the queue.

Regards, John

I used the NYC ferry service when in New York with QM2 2 weeks ago and found it very efficient and convenient to get to/from Red Hook to Manhattan. Some points:

- As others have said the Red Hook ferry stop is easy to find. Turn left out of the Red Hook terminal exit and just take the pavement for a few hundred metres and it is on your left.

- There are tickets machines at each pier which take credit cards or you feed in dollar bills, change is given.

- All tickets are $2.75 whether you go one stop or many stops. Same pricing and principle as the subway.

- If you don't have time to get the ticket in time (i.e. ferry about to depart or ticket machine queue), you can pay on board. The ferry crew members take tickets (for those that have them) as you board but are good at identifying who has not had a ticket and make sure that you pay on board. The person you pay on board is not always obvious (in my experience it is not one of the ticket collectors), on one ferry it was a person at the shop and another it was an ununiformed and person slouched on the passenger seats playing with their iphone! The ticket collectors will direct you if asked.

- If you are connecting with another ferry for example Red Hook to Wall Street and then Wall Street to 34th street you can get a transfer ticket for free, which you need to use within 90 minutes, but you have to request it. We approached the same person who takes the on board fares and he issued a ticket for the transfer, I also believe (not certain) that you can request to keep your original ticket i.e. not hand it in on boarding and they write on that ticket for the transfer. This obviously saves paying an extra $2.75 for the 2nd leg of a trip.

The New York Ferrry map shows a dotted line denoting “summer only service” to Red Hook Atlantic Basin.

An online schedule dated 11/4/17 shows service to Red Hook weekdays and weekends.

Maybe its like white chicken gravy, we have a confusion over English and USA notations—4/11/17 could be the start of summer, what there is of it , in England

Will it be running for our January 3 boarding?

David