Question Re Celebrity's Select Status Upgrade Benefit

frisbeewife

I will be booking my first-ever Celebrity cruise soon and I have a question. I am Emerald on RCCL so that makes me Select on Celebrity, and my Captain's Club account does show me as being Select.

One of the benefits of Select is supposed to be an upgrade to the next category if available at booking. This is for a 2019 cruise so there are LOTS of available rooms in every category. So how does this work? Do I book a cabin online and then call and see about getting upgraded to the next category? Or will they automatically upgrade me if it's available?

Thanks.

They won’t do it automatically. You have to ask. You can book online then call. You can book through a travel agent and have them call. You can call Celebrity and book over the phone. The only constant is to ask for the one category upgrade. I would also know what cabin # I wanted.

Just to be clear on what they mean by "one category", if I book a 1B Verandah, then the upgrade would be to a 1A Verandah? And if I book a 1A Verandah then the upgrade would be to a SV Verandah? And if I book a SV Verandah then the upgrade would be to a C3 Concierge, and so on? I know it only goes up thru Aqua Class, but a suite is just too pricey for this trip. Unless there are good price drops and I'm not counting on that.

Thanks everybody! I'm now armed with knowledge and ready to book my cruise! I've been wanting to visit St. Petersburg for many, many years and I'm very excited to finally be making the plans. I'm also excited to be trying Celebrity after many RCCL cruises.

Here is what the Captains Club terms and conditions https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/enroll/ say:

One-Category Upgrade

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking

I guess the value would depend on the sailing and category you're booking. I just called and for the Aug 25, 2019, sailing of Reflection I got a 2A Verandah cabin for the 2B price. The 2B price was $2799pp and the 2A price was $2999pp, so I saved a total of $400.

Now I'll keep an eye out for price drops, but at least I know I have a cabin and price I'm happy with.

The value is normally a better location on the ship ( not actual amenities). However this isn't always true. Pending on the available cabins you might find the 2B has a better location than the available 2A.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I guess the value would depend on the sailing and category you're booking. I just called and for the Aug 25, 2019, sailing of Reflection I got a 2A Verandah cabin for the 2B price. The 2B price was $2799pp and the 2A price was $2999pp, so I saved a total of $400.

Now I'll keep an eye out for price drops, but at least I know I have a cabin and price I'm happy with.

Including one "free" perk? Or are there no perks on 2019?

My experience has been that I book the cabin that I want and am charged for the one grade lower cabin (within the same category). I do this through a travel agent, and she does request the price difference when booking.

Carolyn

I took that to mean you couldn't upgrade from a C1 cabin to a Aqua Class (C1 to A2) rather than getting a free upgrade from C2 to C1 based on the A2 to A1 example they provided in the T&C.

As Cruisestitch said, the C1's are not included in the upgrade program. You can not upgrade from C2 to C1 for the same price as the C2.

As Cruisestitch said, the C1's are not included in the upgrade program. You can not upgrade from C2 to C1 for the same price as the C2.

I stand corrected; although it does seem weird you can get a free upgrade from a A2 to A1, but not from C2 to C1. But those are the rules. Thanks for pointing that out

If we want a C1 aft-facing cabin and know the cabin number (and it's available), can we request the C2 pricing at the time of booking the C1 cabin or do we have to book a C2 cabin leaving the C1 cabin we're upgraded to at the discretion of X?

In general though, if booking a cabin category that qualifies for the upgrade you just tell them the higher-level cabin number you want and they charge you the lower-level cabin rate. So I told them the 2A cabin I wanted and they charged me the 2B price.

So really..what is the value of this upgrade?

I am booked a category 9 inside and got a category 10 inside. I can't/don't see any difference in features or size or anything.

In many cases, there is little value if any. Lots of times an 'upgrade' is just to a higher floor, which to me means nothing. Sometimes there is. For example, on M class we like the AQ cabins on Deck 11, which are all the highest AQ category. (Don't recall the cabin category name.) We can book the lower category, but then upgrade to those cabins.

In many cases, there is little value if any. Lots of times an 'upgrade' is just to a higher floor, which to me means nothing. Sometimes there is. For example, on M class we like the AQ cabins on Deck 11, which are all the highest AQ category. (Don't recall the cabin category name.) We can book the lower category, but then upgrade to those cabins.

Like you, I have taken advantage of the one category upgrade to select the csbin I want and pay a lower cost that is associated with a cabin that is one category lower. Isn't that benefit enough? The savings has ranged from $100 to $400. No matter the actual dollars that I am able to save, it is a "gift" - and is appreciated.