new to cruising questions

disfreak10

Hello all,

I am new to the cruising thing and have been thinking about taking the family on a dis cruise for the first time. I go deep sea fishing quite a bit and do not get sea sick but am concerned about my daughter and wife. How much do the boats move with the waves. i know that it depends on the weather but wanted to get an idea. I have always been told that the big ships do not rock a lot but wanted to get some answers from the veterans here. I am thinking of getting a deluxe room with a veranda is there a time of the year that is better than others. I live on the east coast so I know all about the hurricanes.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Hi,

we have done 10 DCL cruises and I agree with the above poster, ask for a room on deck2 midship. Also the artium area is the most stable public place on the ship. Newer ships do have great stabilizers, but we have had one time when we had 65mph crosswinds and 30 foot swells. Boy we were rocking that night!!!! Luckily we dont get sea sick. There are several things you can buy to help prevent illness, but you must start them before you get on the ship. Dr can give a prescription for a patch to wear behind the ear, there are bracelets which work with presure points, dramamine, ginger pills too. You see lots of people with the patches on behind the ear. You may want to do a short trip the first time, just in case. Normally the seas are pretty calm for the most part, but there are no guarantees.Keeping busy and not talking about it can help too. If you worry about it, it will happen. The first eveninga lot of people are wobbly while walking around, but then after that they have their sea legs and are better. As a last resort, if you go and someone gets really sea sick, there is a shot the dr. can give most people and it really works great, but I think it costs about $150. dollars. I have read of people who did this.

You should be fine, usually everyone is so busy checking everything out they dont have time to think about it. Although sometimes if your in the walt disney theater you can feel a bit queasy, it is at the front of the ship and can bounce around some. But the feeling leaves as soon as you get up and move around some. Good luck, I hope this may have helped you some. I would just get the patches or bracelets, and some non drowsey dramamine and go for it!!!!

mom x4,grandma x4

Archived