Where's the Sea Venture????

My third cruise was in 1974 on the Sea Venture out of NYC. It sailed to Bermuda. Does anyone know what the cruise line was then?

I understand it became a Princess ship. If you watched the Love Boat, you saw it or its sister ship. What happened to her?

She sailed as the Sea Venture for Flagship Cruises, and her sister was the Island Venture. The Island Venture was first chartered to Princess as the Island Princess, and eventually both were sold to Princess in 1974, with the Sea Venture taking the soon to be famous name Pacific Princess.

Sea Venture

SeaVenture02.jpg

Pacific Princess

PacificPrincess_sc2011.jpg

The Pacific Princess sailed for Princess until 2003, when she was sold to Pullmantur Cruises in Spain and sailed as the Pacific

Pacific for Pullmantur

Pacific-01.jpg

In turn she was chartered to Quail Cruises in 2008 and continued to sail as Pacific.

Pacific sailing for Quail in 2008

Pacific-Quail-01_MG.jpg

She is currently laid up in Genoa, where she has been for 2 years.

• 1 year later...

Thank you so much for this history of the Sea Venture. She was my first cruise to Bermuda in Sept 1971. I loved that she docked right on Front Street. Took a cruise in 2009 to Bermuda and it docked out at the Royal Dockyards, which I did not care for. I did go into Front Street and was very sad to see it had deteriorated with lots of stores boarded up and the "view" of the dock now piled sky high with containers.

• 4 weeks later...

In the days of smaller ships sailing to Bermuda, they could either dock in St. Georges or Hamilton. If there was too mich congestion or the ship was too large -by late 1970s & early 1980s standards - the only other option was to anchor out by Somerset (now Royal Dockyard) area, and tender to the mainland at Front Street in Hamilton. That method was more preferential to me, as the western part of the Island was OK for a short tour of the fort or visit to Horseshow Bay Beach, but without any sites for night life. Some ships would anchor in St. Georges, remain there overnight and then sail over to Front St. in Hamilton for the remainder of the port time. Ahhh, those were the good old days. Now, with it being such a hassle to get over to St. Georges from the Royal Dockyard, St Georges is slowly eroding away from lack of visitation.... a pity --- or a SHONDA, as they say in my parish

Home lines and HAL use to go to Bermuda a lot !! Been there on 10 cruise on Homes lines 5 times HAL 2 times Bermuda stat line one on the Fantasy cruise Amer. and one with Princess the last time we cruised there was on the Crown princess !! Out at the dock yard !! The only ship that did Hamilton was the Veendam .But HAL pull her off the Bermuda run !! No ships go to Hamilton or St George any more Only some time the smaller ships doing an Tran Atlantic cruise !! All the ships are now docked at the Dock yard !! Not the best place to get around from !!

I'm not sure if it's the former "Sea Venture" or "Island Venture" (both then went to Prince), but one of them is now "Discovery" for Discovery Cruises, or something like that. It does longer port intense cruises. I've sailed on one or the other both when they were part of Flagship cruises and Princess. One of my favorites!

• 5 years later...
Thank you so much for this history of the Sea Venture. She was my first cruise to Bermuda in Sept 1971. I loved that she docked right on Front Street. Took a cruise in 2009 to Bermuda and it docked out at the Royal Dockyards, which I did not care for. I did go into Front Street and was very sad to see it had deteriorated with lots of stores boarded up and the "view" of the dock now piled sky high with containers.

I'm digitizing some old 8mm film and I think it's of a 1971 sailing of the Sea Venture. I'll probably upload to youtube in near future so you can look for it. On fb: you can reach me at StoneMeadowFarm

My third cruise was in 1974 on the Sea Venture out of NYC. It sailed to Bermuda. Does anyone know what the cruise line was then?

I understand it became a Princess ship. If you watched the Love Boat, you saw it or its sister ship. What happened to her?

Just uploaded this video if you're interested.