Enhanced Drivers License

Lbrussel

Hopefully someone here can answer this.

I understand there’s now an enhanced drivers license being issued that can be used instead of a passport on a cruise. Is this true or do I still need to get a passport?

Having issues with passport due to being born overseas on military base, and now tracking down my birth certificate. So I’m hoping I can just use the drivers license.

Thanks for any assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, Enhanced Drivers Licenses may be used for cruising within the WHTI but only 5 states currently issue them- Vermont, NY, Washington State, Michigan and Minnesota. Every other state may issue a REAL ID Act compliant license, which cannot be used by itself for cruising. If you were born overseas you don't need a birth certificate, you need a Consular Report of Birth Abroad which you can obtain from the State Department.

Edited by sparks1093

Sparks is correct.

Only the 5 States mentioned have the WHTI compliant “Enhanced” drivers license.

It’s been reported that other States are offering what they call “Enhanced”, but they’re just confusing their citizens with the term. In reality, they are only offering licenses that meet the Real ID requirements and not WHTI..

For a closed loop, western hemisphere cruise, that does not include Cuba, a passport is not required to cruise. Although some lines do require them.

To get a passport, you need the birth certificate to prove citizenship.

Without a passport, you need a birth certificate to prove US citizenship for the cruise. Along with government issued photo ID.

To get an Enhanced or REAL ID driver's licence, you need either a current passport or a birth certification. Again to prove citizenship.

So you REALLY need your birth certificate. And it needs to be the official government agency one, NOT the hospital one.

As was mentioned, birth outside the US requires the Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate all the info.

I had a feeling I was going to need the birth certificate after all. I have what the army gave my parents and it used to be fine for everything before. But since 9/11 rules changed. I’m off to wade thru the red tape and try to track mine down.

Thankfully I don’t sail till next August so I have a year to get this fixed.

I had a feeling I was going to need the birth certificate after all. I have what the army gave my parents and it used to be fine for everything before. But since 9/11 rules changed. I’m off to wade thru the red tape and try to track mine down.

Again, since you were born abroad your "birth certificate" won't do you any good at all, you need a Consular Report of Birth Abroad which may be what the Army gave your parents. Since you weren't born in the US your birth certificate does not prove your US citizenship. The CRBA will prove your US citizenship.

Should have explained that’s where I’m heading for. Just got off the phone with and they walked me thru their website to the info/documents I have to send. They’ll have a record of me provided if my parents had registered me. So fingers crossed.

If they did not register, you may have some issues.

But if you were born in an Army hospital, it was done.

Im really hoping that it was processed then. I was definitely born in the army hospital that was on base. It even says it in my statistic record, which is what accepted before. So fingers crossed. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

From Wikipedia:

Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) in

U.S. English, Enhanced Driver's Licence in Canadian English, or Enhanced ID in other common usage, is a card which functions both as driving licence and ID card with limited passport features issued in some states in the United States[1] and some provinces in Canada[2] to people who are both citizens of the country and residents in the relevant region, compliant with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

An Enhanced Driver's License is allowed to be used as an alternative to a passport for international land and sea travel, but not air travel, to countries that recognize it. The card includes machine-readable RFID and barcode for automated identification of the card and its holder.

As a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative-compliant travel document, an EDL may be used for "official purposes" (such as boarding a domestic flight) covered by the U.S. REAL ID Act.[3] However, a U.S. state that issues only EDLs, but does not issue any other REAL ID-compliant driver's license, is not deemed compliant with the REAL ID Act unless granted an extension.[4] Likewise, REAL ID-compliant licenses alone are not sufficient to cross international borders, even if a state gives its REAL ID-compliant licenses a similar name.[5]

Enhanced Driver's Licenses are available to U.S. citizens who reside in the states of Michigan,[3][6] Minnesota,[3][7] New York,[3][8] Vermont,[3][9] and Washington.[3][10]

Enhanced Driver's Licences are available to Canadian citizens residing in British Columbia,[11] Manitoba,[12] Ontario,[13] and formerly Quebec.[2][14][15] After running it for five years, Quebec discontinued the Enhanced Driver's Licence program, citing low demand as the reason. Current Enhanced Driver's License (Driver's Licence Plus) identification cards will remain valid until their expiration dates. Driver's Licence Plus documents have not been issued since 30 September 2014.[16]

From Wikipedia:

Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) in

U.S. English, Enhanced Driver's Licence in Canadian English, or Enhanced ID in other common usage, is a card which functions both as driving licence and ID card with limited passport features issued in some states in the United States[1] and some provinces in Canada[2] to people who are both citizens of the country and residents in the relevant region, compliant with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

An Enhanced Driver's License is allowed to be used as an alternative to a passport for international land and sea travel, but not air travel, to countries that recognize it. The card includes machine-readable RFID and barcode for automated identification of the card and its holder.

As a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative-compliant travel document, an EDL may be used for "official purposes" (such as boarding a domestic flight) covered by the U.S. REAL ID Act.[3] However, a U.S. state that issues only EDLs, but does not issue any other REAL ID-compliant driver's license, is not deemed compliant with the REAL ID Act unless granted an extension.[4] Likewise, REAL ID-compliant licenses alone are not sufficient to cross international borders, even if a state gives its REAL ID-compliant licenses a similar name.[5]

Enhanced Driver's Licenses are available to U.S. citizens who reside in the states of Michigan,[3][6] Minnesota,[3][7] New York,[3][8] Vermont,[3][9] and Washington.[3][10]

Enhanced Driver's Licences are available to Canadian citizens residing in British Columbia,[11] Manitoba,[12] Ontario,[13] and formerly Quebec.[2][14][15] After running it for five years, Quebec discontinued the Enhanced Driver's Licence program, citing low demand as the reason. Current Enhanced Driver's License (Driver's Licence Plus) identification cards will remain valid until their expiration dates. Driver's Licence Plus documents have not been issued since 30 September 2014.[16]

Thank you so much. [emoji846]

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you so much. [emoji846]

Just a quick update. I sent a request for the consular document and crossed my fingers that they’d find I was registered.

Received great news today. I have my copy of the birth abroad document I needed. Now I can apply for my passport.

• Like 1

Just a quick update. I sent a request for the consular document and crossed my fingers that they’d find I was registered.

Received great news today. I have my copy of the birth abroad document I needed. Now I can apply for my passport.

Thanks for the update!

Army brat here born in Germany. I did not use my German birth certificate to get my passport, I used the papers my parents had to register my birth abroad. That actually shows I am an American citizen. Make an appointment with your passport off and see what happens. They will tell you if it won't work.

Army brat here born in Germany. I did not use my German birth certificate to get my passport, I used the papers my parents had to register my birth abroad. That actually shows I am an American citizen. Make an appointment with your passport off and see what happens. They will tell you if it won't work.

I an army brat too, but born in Japan on the army base. I couldn’t find a copy of my birth certificate (that’s what the problem was).

Luckily I found out yesterday that my parents did registered me with consulate before they came state side. That the update I meant to say, that I received my CRBA, which is then likely the same document you have. That’s what I needed so I can can get my passport.

What a load off my mind. [emoji5][emoji5]

• 7 months later...

Since this string is still open I'm adding the following just in case it's helpful to others... the paragraphs are cut and past excerpts from the CBP page... follow the link for the full article...

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/74/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

I'm taking a "Closed Loop" cruise, do I need a passport?

Most cruises beginning and ending in the U.S. are considered "Closed Loop," vessels that depart a U.S. port and return to the same U.S. port upon completion of the voyage. For instance, if you board a cruise ship at Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and after visiting at least one foreign port of call, such as Bermuda, or Cancun, and return back to Fort Lauderdale, you have taken a closed loop cruise.

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL), a government-issued birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) or passport, and if 16 or older, a government issued driver's license, picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth.

Note: The Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) allows you to re-enter the U.S. from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. The EDL is only accepted at land and sea border crossings, not for air travel.

• Thanks 1

I'm from one of the EDL states but will still get my passport before I cruise. My EDL is lovely for a drive across the border into Canada. But if I'm on a cruise in one of the foreign ports and the ka-ka hits the fan (I miss the ship, get injured or become extremely ill) I will need an actual passport if I need to fly to the next port to meet the ship or if I need to fly home. Is it highly likely that any of these things will happen? Probably not but I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it and end up in a mess. 

• Thanks 1