Internet Connectivity Restrictions for IT Professionals

bpowers

I'm a network engineer and in an emergency may be asked to work remotely while on-board Anthem of the Seas on the November 25, 2018 sailing. I signed up for the 11 day Voom + streaming package.

Can I RDP into a client's network?

Are the speeds bearable? Are there any connectivity restrictions or blocked protocols that I should be aware of?

TIA!

Edited by bpowers

Some VPNs are blocked, such as PPTP and L2TP/.IPSEC. I've not tried RDP., but would expect that to be blocked also. If you have a connection based on TCP 443, you should be OK, otherwise I would expect it to be blocked. When I ask the IT manager about this, they tell me the network policies are imposed in Miami and there's nothing they can do about it.

I'm a network engineer and in an emergency may be asked to work remotely while on-board Anthem of the Seas on the November 25, 2018 sailing. I signed up for the 11 day Voom + streaming package.

Can I RDP into a client's network?

Are the speeds bearable? Are there any connectivity restrictions or blocked protocols that I should be aware of?

TIA!

I always connect to work VPN while I am in RC cruise ,

SSL connection not working for me , but Cisco IPSEC works very well and I able to use remote connections once I am connected. yes it slow but for emergencies it fast enough ,

Worse case scenario, if it is not working, you can always use Skype for business , ask someone to connect you on the other side and give you remote control .

I'm retired now but even in 2015 the various RCI shipboard satellite connections were fast enough for a variety of remote desktop connection apps -- teamviewer actually worked for me one Christmas where our main production machine was glitching and I had to dial in. On Christmas day. In the Caribbean.

I can't recall if my VPN worked at all (also Cisco IPSEC) but I don't have any bad memories of having connectivity issues. One big thing to do when you get to port is ask some of the crew where they go for decent wifi off-ship. If you have to do work and you're at port, you'll have better speeds on land of course.

I'm retired now but even in 2015 the various RCI shipboard satellite connections were fast enough for a variety of remote desktop connection apps -- teamviewer actually worked for me one Christmas where our main production machine was glitching and I had to dial in. On Christmas day. In the Caribbean.

I can't recall if my VPN worked at all (also Cisco IPSEC) but I don't have any bad memories of having connectivity issues. One big thing to do when you get to port is ask some of the crew where they go for decent wifi off-ship. If you have to do work and you're at port, you'll have better speeds on land of course.

Things have become more restricted in the past year or so. I was able to use a VPN during our Nov 2016 transatlantic on Brilliance, but the same VPN was blocked on our Nov 2017 transatlantic on Jewel.

Things have become more restricted in the past year or so. I was able to use a VPN during our Nov 2016 transatlantic on Brilliance, but the same VPN was blocked on our Nov 2017 transatlantic on Jewel.

Agree ,

At work we have two types of connectivity , one is based on SSL and one on IPSEC ,

Until 2017 both worked well , but from 2017 only the IPSEC is working,

It worked perfectly during my cruise during last month (August),

Next week I will be on another cruise , I can try it again .

I'm a network engineer and in an emergency may be asked to work remotely while on-board Anthem of the Seas on the November 25, 2018 sailing.

Well, that sucks! A question and a comment:

Question: Can you get a backup instead of being on-call so you can enjoy your vacation worry free? Not sure if you own a small business or you are just the indispensable guy.

Comment: Love the profile picture. :)

Oh man, someone needs to delete this thread before anyone at my office reads it. I still pretend we are in the middle of the ocean with no access to the outside world.

I do too! I tell all my direct reports that I will be in the middle of the ocean with NO connectivity. It's a true respite.

I own a small IT practice.

I have phased out my employees due to the headaches of management and the exorbitant costs of healthcare.

Well, then you are definitely the go-to guy and need to be online. If you can't get your clients to switch their RDP ports (unlikely) you could setup your own server (you likely already have one) which you could RDP too and then jump out to your customers from there. Just a thought.

Well, then you are definitely the go-to guy and need to be online. If you can't get your clients to switch their RDP ports (unlikely) you could setup your own server (you likely already have one) which you could RDP too and then jump out to your customers from there. Just a thought.

That’s a good idea. If I can’t use 3388, I’ll just vpn to the office over 443.

Perhaps I’ll setup LMIR with Unattended Access as a backup.

Hopefully none of this will be needed as my systems are well managed, monitored, redundant and fault tolerant.

Thanks all.

While you may get it to work, realize that you are on sat connection with at best 200 ms ping rate - so lots of patience is involved with any work.
I thought they connected with a really long Cat5 patch cord. [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You would need fiber optic for that distance!;)

What is 100 meters in nautical miles?

In all seriousness, can someone on Anthem test RDP on 3389 for me or ask the IT guy?

I saw a tv show once where the cruise ship pulled into the private island and unrolled a fiber cable from a spool on the cruise ship to provide the islands. point of sale terminals to the cruise ships billing system.

I wonder how they interface 2 or 3 ships at once if that ever happens?

On our Anthem cruise about a year ago, we had the worst internet speed in a very long time (and we sail 5-6 times a year). The service was near unusable,,,, which is highly unusual. This was our first time on the Anthem, and we just attributed it to the people on board that voyage. One of my final comment in my review was that Voom was not Vroom on the Anthem.