Where is Crystal Mahler going on its Aug16-Sep 1 sailing?

dhmjdds

This cruise is supposed to be Budapest-Amsterdam. However, they completely changed the itinerary for the preceding cruise from Amsterdam-Budapest to round trip Amsterdam, on rivers in Germany and Belgium. Unless they have a really big Star Trek transporter, that boat ain’t gonna be in Budapest on August 16.

Interestingly, the Crystal website still lists it as Budapest-Amsterdam, along with shorter segments Budapest-Regensburg and Regensburg-Amsterdam. As if you could still book it.

For what it's worth, last year we were on the inaugural cruise of the Mahler, which also was supposed to be from Budapest to Amsterdam, but because of a concern over whether the boat would be built on time and be able to reach Budapest by the start date, the cruise was changed to roundtrip Amsterdam, which is what you say the current cruise is doing. The difference at that time was that we were given four weeks advance notice.

Once the major hassle of changing flights and hotel arrangements was completed, everything turned out fine. Obviously, the current situation is quite different, as low water levels may preclude a satisfactory cruise experience (unless you enjoy bus rides and possible hotel stays instead of a river cruise).

Question for you, dhmjdds (or anyone else): where did you hear about the current change to the Mahler itinerary and what else do you know?

We were notified a week ago with the following new itinerary.....the format is not copying correctly, sorry.

Aug 16Amsterdam, Netherlands OvernightAug 17 Amsterdam, Netherlands-1 pmAug 18Cologne, Germany 2 pm7 pmAug 19Koblenz, Germany 9 am11 pmAug 20Cochem, Germany 8 am9 pmAug 21Bernkastel, Germany8 amOvernight pmAug 22Bernkastel, Germany-1 pmAug 23Dusseldorf, Germany1 pm8 pmAug 24Nijmegen, Netherlands6 am6 pmAug 25Maastricht, Netherlands10 amOvernightAug 26Maastricht, Netherlands-12 pmAug 27Rotterdam, Netherlands1 pm6 pmAug 28Ghent, Belgium8 am8 pmAug 29Antwerp, Belgium8 am4 pmAug 30Dordrecht, Netherlands1 pm7 pmAug 31Amsterdam, Netherlands8 amOvernightSept 1Amsterdam, NetherlandsDisembark am

Crystal seems to be scrambling and not communicating well on these changes; could be they don't have much ability to predict the changes. Our Crystal Bach itinerary was completely changed 3 days before, and they could not give much information (excursions, for example) until onboard. Our TA has had a lot of problems communicating with them as well. The changes they made to our Bach journey never got posted on the Crystal website, FWIW. Our first time on Crystal, and they are trying hard but their communications have been poor and also inconsistent. Not a good first impression.

I read about the changed itinerary here on Cruise Critic; it was actually in one of the articles on the board written by the editorial staff, not in the forums. But all that said was a general statement that the itinerary had been changed to round trip Amsterdam. Then I searched online and found other references to the cruise being changed to sail on the rivers of northern Germany, the Netherlands, and Belgium.

Finally, I looked on MarineTraffic.com and found out where the boat currently was and where it had been recently. Apparently it even was in the North Sea at least briefly, according to that site (!).

The poster above is obviously on this next cruise and has the new itinerary. I’m sure it will be interesting, but it certainly isn’t anything like the originally booked itinerary. And assuming their flight goes into Budapest, it will be challenging to have to get to Amsterdam to start the cruise.

We are on the cruise that follows; leaving Amsterdam on Sept 2. So we will start out in the right place, but who knows where we go from there?

Diane

For what it's worth, last year we were on the inaugural cruise of the Mahler, which also was supposed to be from Budapest to Amsterdam, but because of a concern over whether the boat would be built on time and be able to reach Budapest by the start date, the cruise was changed to roundtrip Amsterdam, which is what you say the current cruise is doing. The difference at that time was that we were given four weeks advance notice.

Once the major hassle of changing flights and hotel arrangements was completed, everything turned out fine. Obviously, the current situation is quite different, as low water levels may preclude a satisfactory cruise experience (unless you enjoy bus rides and possible hotel stays instead of a river cruise).

Question for you, dhmjdds (or anyone else): where did you hear about the current change to the Mahler itinerary and what else do you know?

Now we're getting concerned: we are scheduled for the Crystal Mahler on Oct 3: of course, lots could happen between now and then, but we surely don't want our river cruise to turn into a bus tour. I'd rather cancel!!

Now we're getting concerned: we are scheduled for the Crystal Mahler on Oct 3: of course, lots could happen between now and then, but we surely don't want our river cruise to turn into a bus tour. I'd rather cancel!!

It looks like Crystal are going for more radical itinerary changes to avoid the 'bus' option, but to what extent you find that an acceptable alternative is obviously up to you, but I really wouldn't be concerned since you are not sailing until October 3rd and even 3 or 4 days ahead is tricky to predict...

It looks like Crystal are going for more radical itinerary changes to avoid the 'bus' option, but to what extent you find that an acceptable alternative is obviously up to you, but I really wouldn't be concerned since you are not sailing until October 3rd and even 3 or 4 days ahead is tricky to predict...

You make two great points, Mark_T:

Firstly, the amended itinerary that sarasotascott posted above certainly is not one that I would elect under normal circumstances, and it is a far cry from going to Vienna and Budapest, but if Crystal is able to cobble together a reasonable 16 day cruise without resorting to the nuclear/bus option, hats off to them! I would much rather cruise to Antwerp than bus to Budapest.

Additionally, as I am also scheduled to be on the October 3 Crystal Mahler cruise, I do realize that the river level can change well before then. However, I imagine that the itinerary will need to be established at least one week (perhaps even more?) before the cruise begins in order to arrange excursions and make connections with the vendors.

I agree with you, skybluewaters. Perhaps I'm jumping ahead too far, as lots can happen in 6 weeks, but I'm inclined to be concerned, as I will not be happy on a bus tour, and want to have the opportunity to cancel if need be.

I am certain that if the cruise is altered in a material way, Crystal will definitely offer passengers the choice of a 100% refund for the cruise (although not for any independent flights or hotel arrangements). On my Mahler cruise last year, they gave me that option, but I elected to go on the new, amended itinerary and was very glad I did. In my personal experience (which includes the markedly altered itinerary on Mahler's inaugural cruise last year, as well as a significant disruption on one of their ocean vessels [Crystal Symphony] due to Superstorm Sandy in 2012), Crystal has been appropriate in providing financial compensation.

We were notified a week ago with the following new itinerary.....the format is not copying correctly, sorry.

Aug 16Amsterdam, Netherlands OvernightAug 17 Amsterdam, Netherlands-1 pmAug 18Cologne, Germany 2 pm7 pmAug 19Koblenz, Germany 9 am11 pmAug 20Cochem, Germany 8 am9 pmAug 21Bernkastel, Germany8 amOvernight pmAug 22Bernkastel, Germany-1 pmAug 23Dusseldorf, Germany1 pm8 pmAug 24Nijmegen, Netherlands6 am6 pmAug 25Maastricht, Netherlands10 amOvernightAug 26Maastricht, Netherlands-12 pmAug 27Rotterdam, Netherlands1 pm6 pmAug 28Ghent, Belgium8 am8 pmAug 29Antwerp, Belgium8 am4 pmAug 30Dordrecht, Netherlands1 pm7 pmAug 31Amsterdam, Netherlands8 amOvernightSept 1Amsterdam, NetherlandsDisembark am

Hey sarasotascott—

Since you are on Mahler right now, could you possibly post about your trip? How is the amended itinerary? Are there interesting things to see and do? What excursions are available?

I’m particularly interested in the active excursions. On the original itinerary we were signed up for all of the biking and hiking ones. Are there still plenty of those? I hate riding on bus tours of anywhere.

Diane

Diane: In general, I agree with you that bus tours are not so exciting. However, Crystal's buses are very comfortable. They are brand new Setra coaches and were specially made for Crystal, with a generous amount of legroom.

Regarding active excursions, the Crystal Mozart carries its own electric bikes (30 of them, I believe), but the Mahler and her three sister ships do not. Rather, Crystal arranges for the ebikes to be brought to the boat at the stops in which bike tours are offered. This worked out well last year on my Mahler cruise, but with last minute ad hoc changes to the itinerary, who knows what will happen.