What time are staterooms ready?

Gracie115

On Celebrity none are ever ready before 1PM, what about Princess? Are suites ready first or earlier? What about mini-suites?

Thanks for any help...

All cabins are generally available when the first passengers board at about noon but on occasion it’s not until 1:00.

My experiences have been that the later time is more common on the larger Royal-class ships but even then we could drop off our carryon bags in our cabin before going to lunch in one of the dining rooms between noon and 1:30. We prefer to start our cruise that way instead of going to the crowded buffet.

All cabins are generally available when the first passengers board at about noon but on occasion it’s not until 1:00.

My experiences have been that the later time is more common on the larger Royal-class ships but even then we could drop off our carryon bags in our cabin before going to lunch in one of the dining rooms between noon and 1:30. We prefer to start our cruise that way instead of going to the crowded buffet.

Haven’t experienced the later cabin available time on the Royal or any other Princess ship. I’ve read the occasional report that it happens but I haven’t had it. Have always been able to go directly to my cabin after boarding, even when boarding at 11:15am.

The policy of rooms being ready from the start of embarkation seems to be in flux. As noted above with the newer Royal-class ships if they arrived on time and disembarkation had no delays at the turnaround port that morning they will now begin check in and boarding as early as possible before the normally scheduled start time, with an announcement made as to what time rooms will be ready.

When I boarded Island Princess in Vancouver there was a notice that they were testing "rapid boarding" so there were no number groups, just go straight to the gangway after clearing Immigration and Security. I was onboard at 11:40 and greeted in my cabin by room service delivering the water I pre-ordered. The steward was still working on cabins but there was nothing saying I could not enter.

But there was also at least one report on here from a ship in Seattle this summer that cabins were not accessible until a certain hour each week.

I know it has always been a bragging point on these boards that on Princess you can go straight to your cabin as soon as you board. But with larger ships and pressure on the crew for faster turnarounds I don't think there should be any issues if at check in there is a posted time that cabins will not be ready until. As long as I am on the ship early enough for lunch in the MDR rather than the buffet I don't mind bringing my carry-ons with me.

We are able to board from the Elite/Platinum lounge, head to the buffet, find a table, have a leisurely lunch, then head down to the cabin. It's usually ready when we are done with lunch, then the remainder of of pax find their way to the buffet, when we are on our way out.

As late as this Spring I as elite walked on at 1130 and all cabins were ready. However I have read on other threads that while they let you board they will not let you to cabin areas until 1...as a matter of policy. However there seems to be variations from ship to ship and cruise to cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One thing about Princess was you could go to your room as soon as you boarded.

Guess that is changing with the other things. Sounds like now 1 pm like other cruise lines.

Right. No sense being different than the competition.

On the Grand Princess this past July, they told us 1:00 pm, but then opened a little earlier at 12:40 pm. All the carry-on bags had to come to lunch with us. The hallways were closed to all passengers.

On the Grand Princess July 25th, the doors from the elevator/stair lobbies to the hallways were closed. The note we were handed on boarding said cabins would be ready at 1:00. All carry on bags went to lunch with us. An announcement was made when we could go to our cabins. This was the first time in 30 Princess cruises (several on the Grand from San Francisco) we experienced this happening. We have had this experience on other cruise lines in the past.

My cabin was available on the Emerald in March. I'm going to Quebec, Royal Princess late October so will be interesting to see. I don't have to be on the ship by 11 or noon so might not matter plus ship overnights in Quebec so people probably won't rush to board. I've never understood it, but I do find the people watching interesting. You're on vacation, R-E-L-A-X!

On the Grand Princess July 25th, the doors from the elevator/stair lobbies to the hallways were closed. The note we were handed on boarding said cabins would be ready at 1:00. All carry on bags went to lunch with us. An announcement was made when we could go to our cabins. This was the first time in 30 Princess cruises (several on the Grand from San Francisco) we experienced this happening. We have had this experience on other cruise lines in the past.

This was my first time to experience this also.

So you are checked in, in the terminal waiting to board...what's the rush...you will get on the ship sooner or later, and when you do, IF your room is ready, fine, if not, well. I take a rolling carry on, plus a tote that fits over the handle. We go directly to the buffet and grab a table and RELAX! So you may have to "drag" your carry on with you for what, an hour? You probably just have spent the last three hours in the terminal.. When you room is ready...its READY!...You have the next 7-10-14+ days to enjoy it