Kettles in staterooms

I've rarely seen instant coffee at hotels in the US , some sort of single cup or one small pot brewer is in my experience more common here, though instant is very common in a lot of foreign countries. I've been charged for K-cup style thingies, but in China, not the US. In the US, if you tell the housekeeping worker you won't need her services for a day or so, she will generally be quite happy to give you all the coffee supplies you might desire.

Lots of times in a large variety of hotels and no signage. On checkout I have inquired what is usually about $3 charge and asked if I used the coffee like dud did you think it was free

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Again, where in the USA did this happen? I work in the business and have never seen a charge for this.

The only time we’ve run into this was a big name Vegas hotel. They charged something like $15US for a package with 4 k-cups, some powdered creamer and an assortment of sweeteners.

Since we each like 2 cups in the morning, that could add up quickly.

Luckily I found out about this ahead of time, so we brought our own supplies.

Normally hotels that provide an in room coffee maker also offer coffee pods at no extra charge.

But, Vegas

Glad you wrote this! I am sitting at my computer reading this thread, wondering what the heck a kettle was and why a stateroom would need it!!!!!!!!!!!! My first thought was along the line of Halloween and witches!

Pooh

I thought the same thing - what are kettles that are needed in the cabin? - and read the thread to understand what it meant.. LOL

I do have a tea kettle and prefer a hot cup of tea on winter evenings...to me, coffee is for the morning. :D

A kettle is an electric jug that boils water and switches itself off after boiling. Ideal for making tea which needs boiling water to make a decent drink. The main reason I think for you not using them in the US is because your voltage is only 110v and in the UK its 240v and therefore boils much faster for us.

It is probably quicker for you to boil water in a pan.

Most UK cruiselines have had kettles in their staterooms for many years because we Brits cant survive without our tea.

As there are a lot of British passengers that cruise from Southampton, putting kettles in the cabins on Sapphire will keep them happy.

Unfortunately for us there wasnt a kettle in the cabin on Royal last week also sailing from Southampton[emoji852]

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Our version of a kettle is a Sunbeam Hotshot. Same concept.

Love mine. Have had one since the 70s. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time we’ve run into this was a big name Vegas hotel. They charged something like $15US for a package with 4 k-cups, some powdered creamer and an assortment of sweeteners.

Since we each like 2 cups in the morning, that could add up quickly.

Luckily I found out about this ahead of time, so we brought our own supplies.

Normally hotels that provide an in room coffee maker also offer coffee pods at no extra charge.

But, Vegas

I think I had something similar, the coffee was allegedly paid for under the resort fee.

Vegas hotels used to lack coffee machines in the room entirely, at least the ones I stayed at when I visited fairly often in the 2005-2009 era. I recall once bringing a cup upstairs in the evening just to have it cold in the morning.

Goody good. Going on Sapphire next month. Always refer to lack of kettle in end of cruise questionnaire. There wasn’t one In cabins on the Royal in June. Can’t function until had my early morning cup of tea.

I get so annoyed when no tea-making facilities are available. I hate having to ask for room service, I really prefer to make my own. I have now taken to carrying an insulated mug which is sealable and going to make my own when a kettle is not provided.

Without makeup and in casual clothes - then I get back into bed and ahhhh. [ I don't fill up directly from the water dispenser :eek::eek::eek::eek:] :eek:

There is also a press release today:

Princess Cruises introduces tea and coffee making facilities in all staterooms on UK-based ship

Princess Cruises has recently equipped the 2,670-guest Sapphire Princess with kettles and tea and coffee making facilities in all staterooms. As the main Princess ship sailing from the UK both this year and in 2019, the new amenities onboard will appeal to the British market and in particular their taste for tea.

Sapphire Princess underwent an extensive two-week refit earlier this year, which included the introduction of a new luxury bed in every stateroom. The new in-cabin tea and coffee making facilities will further enhance each room.

Guests on Sapphire Princess and all other Princess ships can also continue to order complimentary tea and coffee in their stateroom via the onboard 24hr room service.

Sapphire Princess is currently sailing roundtrip out of Southampton up to October 2018, followed by an April to October season in 2019. A variety of voyages are on offer, largely to the Mediterranean and northern Europe, as well as a 24-day Canada & New England voyage in 2019.

Tony Roberts, Princess Cruises' vice president UK and Europe, said: “We fully appreciate how much Brits all enjoy drinking tea and coffee. While it’s still easy enough for guests to order complimentary hot drinks via room service or our onboard restaurants, introducing kettles will give them an extra coffee and tea-making option when it’s time to rise and shine or they’re sitting back and relaxing in their stateroom or balcony.”

Interesting read, and in all my travels, many hotels in the U.S., I have never been charged for using the coffee maker. Bobby still hasn't listed which hotels, I'm older, traveling over 50 years, haven't seen it.

Traveling alone, I don't need to stay in my cabin for coffee or tea and don't care about what people think about how I look first thing in the a.m.! :) Make up? Hmm, don't own any, save my money for cruising! :D

We just disembarked from the Sapphire Princess on Saturday and 3 days before the end of the cruise we all got a kettle with tea and coffee in our cabins ! A nice touch but a bit late really we did think maybe room service were sick of bring us tea& coffee [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just disembarked from the Sapphire Princess on Saturday and 3 days before the end of the cruise we all got a kettle with tea and coffee in our cabins ! A nice touch but a bit late really we did think maybe room service were sick of bring us tea& coffee [emoji23]

I suspect having tea kettles in the cabin is cost effective compared to having room service have the staff to deliver so much tea and coffee.