Just booked a solo cruise and worried now

ScottC4746

The last time I booked a solo cruise was 1993. Since that time I am now married and 53 years old and have developed social anxiety disorder. I bit the bullet and booked RCCL Empress of the Seas 6 April to coincide with my spring break (Yes I am in school finally earning my degree). DH cannot make the trip this time. Hope all goes well

I do not have social anxiety but I am a serious introvert -- and I love cruising solo. I can interact with people when I want to and walk away when I don't. And the cabin is all mine!

I wish you a happy cruise.

I do not have social anxiety but I am a serious introvert -- and I love cruising solo. I can interact with people when I want to and walk away when I don't. And the cabin is all mine!

I wish you a happy cruise.

And I guess the good thing is I am on my schedule and no one else's. If I want to stay up late I can...if I want to sleep in I can...if I want to...you get the point.

I bet you'll love it. I'm 65 years old, with a husband who has absolutely no interest in cruising, so I go solo. It's great to meet all the interesting and/or "colorful" people onboard - and you've always got your own room as a refuge if they get too colorful. I love having all the closet space to myself for my wardrobe, too!:D Everybody on this discussion board will be rooting for you.

SCOTT - if my husb and I were on the ship, you'd sure be welcome so spend mealtime with us! Please know there are lots of cruisers who enjoy meeting and talking to others! One thing that works -- say hi, ask the person how he's liking the cruise so far, or is he getting off the ship at next port, etc. I think you'll be invited into conversations a lot.

I'm 53, female, married, and I cruise solo all the time. My DH doesn't like cruising, and also has MS and is in a wheelchair, so he tells me to go and enjoy myself, so I do! Like hrhdhd below, I am also an introvert, and quite shy; which makes people ask me why I would cruise, with so many people around. They don't understand the freedom traveling solo gives a person. I can engage in conversations with others if I want, or not. I can participate in social activities if I want, or not. I have noticed that I am coming out of my shell more the older I get, so that helps, too. Still, there are sometimes when I get a little uncomfortable traveling solo, which are on excursions, more often than not. No biggie, I deal with it and am still able to enjoy myself.

Have a wonderful time and don't worry a bit about traveling solo. Just do your research ahead of time on your itinerary/port stops and take appropriate care when venturing out on your own.

Enjoy!

I can't speak to your anxiety issue, but I'm going to assume since you've cruised before, you had few or no issues -- few enough to be comfortable enough to cruise again with your DH. Solo cruising takes a little more effort, but you don't have to do anything you're not comfortable with. Remember, you're already ahead of the game, since you've already been on a number of cruises. It won't be that different. It might even be better!

Enjoy your trip!

Edited by marcmarc2
typo