Sprint users, looking for some feedback and advice for service on a cruise and island

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:47 AM.
#1
New York
409 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
We have unlimited data with Srpint but I was curious to hear from other Sprint users:
What to request?
What to avoid?
Tips?


We will visit Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport.

Thanks
#2
Fort Lauderdale
839 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Originally posted by LongHill44
We have unlimited data with Srpint but I was curious to hear from other Sprint users:
What to request?
What to avoid?
Tips?


We will visit Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport.

Thanks
I used Sprint data on a 3 night Bahamas cruise this past November.

Got service in Nassau and Great Stirrup Cay.

The great thing was we were on the Lido deck quite often and were able to bounce off different towers sailing through the Bahamas and easily access social media and WhatsApp.

But by doing this, my wife forgot to turn on Airplane mode one night, and in an inside cabin, all of her emails and messages downloaded.

I was worried, but I was not charged anything. Checking Sprint’s website, they have taken off the charge for data on certain ships so maybe this is a new thing, they just show overage charges.

Speed was not very fast, 2G, but I really had very little issue posting but you can forget about any real streaming. Signal isn’t great but it does connect and work. Make sure all your roaming is on.

I am cruising in May and was going to call them up for some clarification about cruise ship surfing. Would love to avoid the social media package if I could just use my roaming.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Previous Cruises
11/24/2017 - 3 Night Norwegian Sky - First time NCL Black Friday Getaway (Great Stirrup Cay, Nassau)
05/05/2017 - 10 Night Celebrity Equinox - Wife's 35th Birthday Voyage (Grand Cayman, ABC Islands, Key West)
01/12/2017 - 4 Night RC Empress of the Seas - 35th Birthday Cruise (Key West, Nassau)
05/15/2016 - 7 Night RC Allure of the Seas - 5 Year Wedding Anniversary Cruise (Labadee, Falmouth, Cozumel)
07/19/2015 - 2 Night Bahamas Paradise Grand Celebration - Post Family Reunion Cruise (Grand Bahama Island)
01/14/2014 - 3 Night Celebrity Constellation - 32nd Birthday Cruise (Coco Cay, Nassau)
10/19/2013 - 2 Night Bahamas Celebration - Quick Pre Holiday Stretch Getaway Cruise (Grand Bahama Island)
01/11/2013 - 3 Night RC Majesty of the Seas - 31st Birthday Cruise (Coco Cay, Nassau)
07/05/2012 - 3 Night Carnival Sensation - Summer Getaway with Family Cruise (Nassau)
01/14/2012 - 5 Night Carnival Destiny - First Cruise 30th Birthday Celebration Cruise (Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman)
#3
New York
409 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
Originally posted by kdawg954
I used Sprint data on a 3 night Bahamas cruise this past November.

Got service in Nassau and Great Stirrup Cay.

The great thing was we were on the Lido deck quite often and were able to bounce off different towers sailing through the Bahamas and easily access social media and WhatsApp.

But by doing this, my wife forgot to turn on Airplane mode one night, and in an inside cabin, all of her emails and messages downloaded.

I was worried, but I was not charged anything. Checking Sprint’s website, they have taken off the charge for data on certain ships so maybe this is a new thing, they just show overage charges.

Speed was not very fast, 2G, but I really had very little issue posting but you can forget about any real streaming. Signal isn’t great but it does connect and work. Make sure all your roaming is on.

I am cruising in May and was going to call them up for some clarification about cruise ship surfing. Would love to avoid the social media package if I could just use my roaming.
Please let me know as we sail this summmer.

In airplane mode, how do you know when you are connected to Sprint approved towers or free wifi?
#4
Fort Lauderdale
839 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Originally posted by LongHill44
Please let me know as we sail this summmer.

In airplane mode, how do you know when you are connected to Sprint approved towers or free wifi?
Wifi would only be of use in port as the ship moves too fast to consistently be on the same connection. You will only be able to access the ship’s paid Wifi with a consistent connection

I was able to use cell/data service that gets used on the islands as we were on the ship because Sprint gives you free international roaming. It will likely not be a “Sprint” network you connect to. Since the service is much more spreadout throughout the many islands you can keep a connection while sailing through the Bahamas.

Airplane mode restricts networks so you have to turn it off, which was my concern because I know in the past I have heard it gets real expensive to use the ship’s network for service . . . . But either that policy has changed with Sprint and it counts as regular international roaming so no charge or some crazy way I remained on a Bahamas mobile network in a inside cabin on a lower deck (which seems like an unlikely thing as I get zero connection inside My cabin leaving Miami) . . . But my apps updated and emails downloaded and I got no charges on my statement. . . . .and Sprint does not list a cost for data, but they do for text and phone.

There is a way to block networks so I would attempt to block the Ship network and just leave the phone off Airplane mode. If it connects to other networks you will be fine.

Will update my experience after my May cruise. I really don’t want to get a social media package because I would barely use it but it would be nice to just jump on my Sprint service for a few updates and not be charged.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Previous Cruises
11/24/2017 - 3 Night Norwegian Sky - First time NCL Black Friday Getaway (Great Stirrup Cay, Nassau)
05/05/2017 - 10 Night Celebrity Equinox - Wife's 35th Birthday Voyage (Grand Cayman, ABC Islands, Key West)
01/12/2017 - 4 Night RC Empress of the Seas - 35th Birthday Cruise (Key West, Nassau)
05/15/2016 - 7 Night RC Allure of the Seas - 5 Year Wedding Anniversary Cruise (Labadee, Falmouth, Cozumel)
07/19/2015 - 2 Night Bahamas Paradise Grand Celebration - Post Family Reunion Cruise (Grand Bahama Island)
01/14/2014 - 3 Night Celebrity Constellation - 32nd Birthday Cruise (Coco Cay, Nassau)
10/19/2013 - 2 Night Bahamas Celebration - Quick Pre Holiday Stretch Getaway Cruise (Grand Bahama Island)
01/11/2013 - 3 Night RC Majesty of the Seas - 31st Birthday Cruise (Coco Cay, Nassau)
07/05/2012 - 3 Night Carnival Sensation - Summer Getaway with Family Cruise (Nassau)
01/14/2012 - 5 Night Carnival Destiny - First Cruise 30th Birthday Celebration Cruise (Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman)
#5
Fort Lauderdale
839 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
And just to stress, I really did not have to have internet on this cruise or any cruise, so slow connections, bad signals, etc were all ok with me because I wasn’t paying anything and it really worked suprisingly decent (my expectations were low) even on private islands, But if you need reliable internet while cruising your best bet for a consistent connection is the ship internet plans . . . and the Social Media plan at $4 a day prepurchased is a solid value if that is your main use for internet while cruising . . . Combined with the potential free options in port for bigger things.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Previous Cruises
11/24/2017 - 3 Night Norwegian Sky - First time NCL Black Friday Getaway (Great Stirrup Cay, Nassau)
05/05/2017 - 10 Night Celebrity Equinox - Wife's 35th Birthday Voyage (Grand Cayman, ABC Islands, Key West)
01/12/2017 - 4 Night RC Empress of the Seas - 35th Birthday Cruise (Key West, Nassau)
05/15/2016 - 7 Night RC Allure of the Seas - 5 Year Wedding Anniversary Cruise (Labadee, Falmouth, Cozumel)
07/19/2015 - 2 Night Bahamas Paradise Grand Celebration - Post Family Reunion Cruise (Grand Bahama Island)
01/14/2014 - 3 Night Celebrity Constellation - 32nd Birthday Cruise (Coco Cay, Nassau)
10/19/2013 - 2 Night Bahamas Celebration - Quick Pre Holiday Stretch Getaway Cruise (Grand Bahama Island)
01/11/2013 - 3 Night RC Majesty of the Seas - 31st Birthday Cruise (Coco Cay, Nassau)
07/05/2012 - 3 Night Carnival Sensation - Summer Getaway with Family Cruise (Nassau)
01/14/2012 - 5 Night Carnival Destiny - First Cruise 30th Birthday Celebration Cruise (Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman)
#6
New York
409 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
Originally posted by kdawg954
Wifi would only be of use in port as the ship moves too fast to consistently be on the same connection. You will only be able to access the ship’s paid Wifi with a consistent connection

I was able to use cell/data service that gets used on the islands as we were on the ship because Sprint gives you free international roaming. It will likely not be a “Sprint” network you connect to. Since the service is much more spreadout throughout the many islands you can keep a connection while sailing through the Bahamas.

Airplane mode restricts networks so you have to turn it off, which was my concern because I know in the past I have heard it gets real expensive to use the ship’s network for service . . . . But either that policy has changed with Sprint and it counts as regular international roaming so no charge or some crazy way I remained on a Bahamas mobile network in a inside cabin on a lower deck (which seems like an unlikely thing as I get zero connection inside My cabin leaving Miami) . . . But my apps updated and emails downloaded and I got no charges on my statement. . . . .and Sprint does not list a cost for data, but they do for text and phone.

There is a way to block networks so I would attempt to block the Ship network and just leave the phone off Airplane mode. If it connects to other networks you will be fine.

Will update my experience after my May cruise. I really don’t want to get a social media package because I would barely use it but it would be nice to just jump on my Sprint service for a few updates and not be charged.
Any updates?
#7
Dallas, Texas
185 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by LongHill44
We have unlimited data with Srpint but I was curious to hear from other Sprint users:
What to request?
What to avoid?
Tips?


We will visit Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport.

Thanks
LongHill,

You can go to the Sprint website and view their international rates. Many locations have free 2G Internet and chat with the only cost being voice calls. This depends on the details of your Sprint plan of course.

Steven
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2019 Celebrity Eclipse
2018 RC Liberty of the Seas
2017 RC Liberty of the Seas
2010 Celebrity Solstice
2009 RC Adventure Of The Seas
2008 Carnival Conquest
2006 Disney Magic
2002 Carnival Celebration
#8
Fort Lauderdale
839 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Originally posted by LongHill44
Any updates?
Sorry, just saw this and had posted a replay in another thread

Here it is:

It’s pretty simple. You will not get charged any data roaming charges, text messages are free and calls are .20 a minute . . . .as long as “Cellular At Sea” is not the provider. Literally anywhere in the world this is the case with Sprint if you are enrolled in their free international roaming plan and all roaming is enabled on your device.

I just did the Fascination in May and I often could connect to various Providers (Digicel being a big one) from the Lido and Serenity areas while at sea sailing between islands. I also saw that I was connected to Cellular at Sea once during the week and Immediately went into airplane mode. No charges on my bill.

I had the $4 a day social media package as well and used that inside the cabin and on the interior parts of the ship.

Data is slow but useable . . . Faster than the ship WiFi IMO as I sometimes got 3G and 4G despite Sprint saying speeds would only be 2G.

It is a great perk and you should use it, just be smart when out in open waters and go into airplane mode if Cellular at Sea pops up as the provider. Use the social media package for that stuff (Facebook messenger and What’s App do messages and calls) and roaming for any curious web surfing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Previous Cruises
11/24/2017 - 3 Night Norwegian Sky - First time NCL Black Friday Getaway (Great Stirrup Cay, Nassau)
05/05/2017 - 10 Night Celebrity Equinox - Wife's 35th Birthday Voyage (Grand Cayman, ABC Islands, Key West)
01/12/2017 - 4 Night RC Empress of the Seas - 35th Birthday Cruise (Key West, Nassau)
05/15/2016 - 7 Night RC Allure of the Seas - 5 Year Wedding Anniversary Cruise (Labadee, Falmouth, Cozumel)
07/19/2015 - 2 Night Bahamas Paradise Grand Celebration - Post Family Reunion Cruise (Grand Bahama Island)
01/14/2014 - 3 Night Celebrity Constellation - 32nd Birthday Cruise (Coco Cay, Nassau)
10/19/2013 - 2 Night Bahamas Celebration - Quick Pre Holiday Stretch Getaway Cruise (Grand Bahama Island)
01/11/2013 - 3 Night RC Majesty of the Seas - 31st Birthday Cruise (Coco Cay, Nassau)
07/05/2012 - 3 Night Carnival Sensation - Summer Getaway with Family Cruise (Nassau)
01/14/2012 - 5 Night Carnival Destiny - First Cruise 30th Birthday Celebration Cruise (Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman)