Need suggestion on Cellphone SIM that will work inexpensively: Italy, France, Spain

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:49 AM.
Southwest Florida
11,515 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
We will be spending a week in Italy, then joining a TA to the US. I would like to have phone coverage while in Italy...and, if possible, during the port days in the other countries. There are so many options....and no web site that's clear on which work where....and then when you find one, the cost is crazy. I thought I found a great one...GiffGaff which is UK based, but they require you to use your phone in the UK (or have a UK address) before they will turn on EU roaming....so that doesn't work.

I use Verizon in the US but I have an unlocked worldphone...will work in the EU on GSM/LTE...so that's one obstacle I don't have to deal with

My minimal needs:

100 min or talk time- all calls within the EU
100 msgs (may be to/from US)
500MB data (don't need tethering)
must work in all the countries mentioned for at least 1 month.
SIM should not cost over 15 euros. The GiffGaff SIM would have cost 7.50 Euros and exceeded my requirements.

I do use skype, but I want standard GSM capability so a data only SIM won't meet my needs.

Looking for recommendations....

(sorry for the crosspost...this didn't belong on the celebrity forum
British Columbia
1,301 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
We spent 5 months in UK last year and I researched mobile packages extensively before departure. Due numerous options & prices I found, we elected to wait until arrival UK.

Stopped into a mobile phone store, that deals with multiple brands and found an option that I wasn't aware of from my research and was cheaper than anything I found online.

Don't have the same experience with Italy, but suggest it may be worth waiting until arrival and pick up a local SIM card.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Andy & Judi

World Cruise & RV'ing Blog: www.andyandjudi.com

Upcoming Cruises
2020 - Viking Sun World Cruise - LA to Greenwich

Previous Cruises
1976 Uganda - Meddy
1977 Oriana - Vancouver to Sydney
1978 Oriana - UK
1978 Canberra - UK
1979 Uganda - Meddy
1979 Island Princess - Alaska B2B, Mexico B2B
1980 Sun Princess - Alaska B2B, Mexico B2B
1999 Sun Princess - Alaska
2002 Radiance of the Seas - Alaska
2005 Coral Princess - Panama
2005 Dawn Princess - West Coastal
2007 Dawn Princess - Mexico
2008 Island Princess - Panama
2008 Diamond Princess - Asia B2B
2010 Island Princess - Panama
2011 Diamond Princess - Alaska B2B
2013 Sapphire Princess - Alaska B2B
2014 Emerald Princess - Caribbean B2B
2014 Emerald Princess - Trans Atlantic
2015 Sea Princess - World Cruise
2017 CMV Columbus - Baltic
"Big Apple" NY
7,999 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Look into using Google's Project Fi - you will a compatiable Android smartphone to activate the voice/sms/data nano sim card (won't cost an arm and a leg, a pre-owned Nexus 5X or 6P, or newer Pixel/XL in VG to excellent condition for around $200 upfront, to activate and start the plan) Or, you can get a new Motorola Mot G6 smartphone for $200 or less (with a qualifying trade-on ... my old Nexus 5X with excel working condition got a $100 allowance)

You can cancel services at any time, keep the (unlocked) smartphone or sell it - the radio bands are compatible just about anywhere, coverage in 140 countries, calls for as little as 2 or 4 cents a minute, no more than 20 cents a minute, and $10 per 1GB of 4G/LTE data (home and roaming at the same rate)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Gem - 7D FL/GSC/Nassau (4/28/18) Review, Pix, Dailies, MDR menus, FAQ, etc.
NCL Breakaway Semi Live 10/29-11/3/17 Halloween Storm Special Take #2 Link w. Dailies
Latest - NCL's iConcierge App, WiFi, FAQ/guides, tips/extras, etc. GSC cellular services & WiFi.
NCL Gem - 7D FL/GSC/Nassau (4/29/17) Pix, Dailies, MDR menu, FAQ, WiFi & Extras. CC Gem review.
NCL Breakaway - 7D Bermuda (5/22/16) Semi Live Quick Update, Pix & Extras - Link
NCL Breakaway - 7D FL/GSC/Nassau (3/22/15) Pix Review, FAQ & Extras
NCL Breakaway - 7D FL/Bahamas (3/23/14) Sailaway (photos,) Inside/Balcony, FAQ, Dining & Review
CCL Splendor 8D E. Caribbean (9/22/13) Pix Review - *8B* Balcony 8417 & 8419 PDF Links: FunTimes, Internet & some Menus **
NCL Gem - 9D E.Caribbean Review (11/7/2012) post Hurricane Sandy NYC Dailies, Maps, & Specials.
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (Bermuda 5D - May 5, 2012) Review
NCL Jewel: (Bahamas 7D - Feb. 13, 2011) Freestyle Daily schedules
NCLA Pride of America - 7D Hawaii May 2009 Review Road to Hana (video) photos (u/l from NCL Star: Mexico Rivera, March 2009 & Alaska, Sept 2009)
NCL Crown, Bermuda 2007 & 2006, NCL Dawn 2005 & 2003, NCL Sea 2001
RCCL Voyager of the Seas (Canada/NE 2004)
Premier Cruises SS Sea Breeze (1998) Prince of Fundy Cruises MS Scotia Prince (1993, 95)
9 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
What about staying with Verizon and using their international plans? You can pay by the day or use their monthly plans...

https://www.verizonwireless.com/solu...tional-travel/

It really depends on how much you need, or would like to use your own phone number vs fumbling with other SIMs... I'm a project Fi customer, and I'd recommend it but it may not be worth getting a SIM if you do not already have a Fi capable phone to activate the service... It all comes down to convenience and what tolerance you have to making SIM changes to your phone for a possible short trip...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I work to support my cruise addiction
United States
3,752 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Switch to T-Mobile.

Unlimited text and data. 25 cents per minute calling. Over 210 countries

I switched a few years ago, and have not looked back.