Keel Laying for Seven Seas Splendor

• Members

Hi all -

Cruise Critic has been in Ancona these past few days to attend the keel laying for Seven Seas Splendor. We also viewed some suite mockups. Here’s the story: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8731

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So happy to hear that the keel has been laid for the Splendor! Really looking forward to another new ship. We will miss the prayer wheel outside of Pacific Rim (I have a prayer wheel necklace that I wear which reminds me of Explorer) but am happy that the PH suites will be changed. The color changes isn't a big deal but I must admit that I like the colors on Explorer (which will likely be our favorite ship forever).

Putting in more American plugs - especially near the bed is a big deal. After all, at least 80% of passengers on Regent are from North America. It didn't make sense for both people in North America as well as outside of North America to have to pack power strips.

I was pleasantly surprised to read that Regent finally realizes that Baby Boomers have the money to cruise and are ready, willing and able to do so!!!!! Speaking for myself, I was a bit tired of reading how luxury cruise lines need to target young people and it did not seem as if they were paying attention to people that have the money and time to cruise on luxury lines now. I have no doubt that people that are currently in their 30's and 40's will eventually be ready to sail on luxury lines as they get older.

As much of a Regent lover that I am, I was becoming concerned that the changes (similar to changes brought about after PCH purchased Regent) were happening again. My concern was reinforced when I sailed on NCL ad saw some of the same "lame" (In my opinion) things being implemented on Regent. While there are still some changes that are questionable, it seems that top management is finally understanding what luxury cruisers want. This is so similar to what occurred after the PCH purchase. I commend Regent for acknowledging the people that were the largest segment of the U.S. population in the last century.

Looking forward to sailing on Splendor (and hoping that John will be the C.D. and Daniela will be the F&B Director for the introduction of this beautiful ship!

TC:

“I was pleasantly surprised to read that Regent finally realizes that Baby Boomers have the money to cruise and are ready, willing and able to do so!!!!! ”

Believe it or not, post baby boomers have plenty of money...lawyers, doctors and other professionals. Many have seven figure incomes. Why not welcome them. I’m a baby boomer myself but Regent has to reach out to the future. Also, we are all aging out and Regent and other luxury lines need to realize that.

Not convinced that a few glass panels in the upper tier of the theatre will make much difference to sight lines, or removing a row of seats. This needs massive re-engineering to work as a theatre venue, at present this area is totally not fit for purpose and so therefore underused waste space.on the Explorer. When we were on last month we were directed to this area in the safety drill on the first day and could only see the head of the assistant cruise director on the stage, therefore useless for song/ dance productions. This to me stops this ship being the best as its such a major glitch, all 3 other theatres are far better, even the vibrating floor of the rear theatre on the Navigator.

Lets hope the Splendour really does improve this ,so as to not waste the space.

Since we'll be in a Grand Suite on Splendor in March 2020 I am curious as to why only the Grand Suite is not being re-done? Because there is nothing to improve? Seems from reading RonRick's posts when they were in a Grand Suite that at least one chair needs throwing out!!

Since we'll be in a Grand Suite on Splendor in March 2020 I am curious as to why only the Grand Suite is not being re-done? Because there is nothing to improve? Seems from reading RonRick's posts when they were in a Grand Suite that at least one chair needs throwing out!!

The furniture in our Grand Suite was too big for the space. If you put all four chairs around the table, you couldn't pass by. In my opinion, the bathroom in the Grand Suite is the best I've seen. So, if they just put in smaller furniture, the suite would be lovely.

Hambagable, You'll enjoy the Grand Suite. Yes the gray chair should go because it just isn't comfortable and hard to get out once you sit in it and really isn't needed. The dining area is a small area that needs a little more room. With the chair gone this would be easy. The "L" sofa is big but very comfortable for lounging around, we liked it. We don't really use the suite to entertain, maybe we did this two times with 4 guest each time and it was nice without any problems. We were in the back of the ship which has a really nice big deck. My understanding all Grand Suites aren't the same size some bigger but have smaller decks. Now on the SS Splendor in April 2020 we'll be doing a b2b starting in Miami-New York-Barcelona. During that cruise we'll be in the front Grand Suite for the first cruise, then movings to a center Grand Suite for the second half. The center suite looks bigger in the deck plan. Regent said to CC they don't plan on changing the Grand Suite colors and not using the new designer. I think that is a mistake, but that's my opinion. I'd like to see that suite have the same theme as the others using the new designer keeping a common thread on the ship. When Regent refitted the SS Mariner they didn't redo any of the bigger named suites. When we boarded the ship we knew Regent made a mistake--so did Regent. After the GM looked at our suite the furniture was taken out and reupholstered, one of the dining room chairs also had to be fixed. On our next Regent cruise we'll be on the SS Mariner again but in the other Grand Suite--so we're hoping they took the hint and redid that suite also. Back to the Grand Suite, you'll enjoy it---could it be a little bigger? Yes, however it was great for the two of us with a small get together from time to time. So enjoy. Rick

We are doing the b2b as you are and spending a few day in Barcelona. Great itinerary.

Super, we'll have to meet. Our plan is to spend a 10 days before the first cruise in Asia (Hong Kong/Bangkok/Tokyo) and on the back end we'll be renting an apartment in Barcelona for a week. It's going to be a great cruise on a new ship.

Thanks Ronrick. We are in 785 on the Splendor. So aft with the great balcony. Really looking forward to it especially the Pacific sunsets - we have done this cruise before on the Mariner in a PHA also on the same side. Maybe we could chuck the chair over the balcony - if it is still there...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks Ronrick. We are in 785 on the Splendor. So aft with the great balcony. Really looking forward to it especially the Pacific sunsets - we have done this cruise before on the Mariner in a PHA also on the same side. Maybe we could chuck the chair over the balcony - if it is still there...

Gosh - What I wouldn't give to see a picture of that! Especially if Mr. Montague was in the picture, helping you lift it up over the railing! ;p

That is the suite we had, great suite and a great time you'll be looking forward -- just get an insurance policy just in case you sit in the chair and hurt yourself trying to get out without help. But that's one of the reasons you have a Butler, to help!

Hi Gerry - it is quite likely that the chair will no longer be there. Actually, it was out of the way and was not as much of a nuisance as the chairs around the table. As I (and others) have mentioned previously, the layout of the Grand Suite in the living room is rather small but the same can be said of the Master Suite on Explorer. The Master Suites on Voyager are huge and have 2 bedrooms and 2 1/2 bathrooms with a lovely bar area. As much as I love Explorer, the Master Suites cannot compare with those on the Voyager.

It will be interesting to see the Grand Suite on Splendor. As you know, we will be in a Splendor Suite that will also be interesting to see. It will be nice to be able to see each others suites. Despite our grumbling about the furniture in the Grand Suite on Explorer, we are booked in one again next year and are definitely looking forward to it.

Just saw a mock-up of the redesigned bathroom for the PH suites. I hope I am not seeing it correctly. The bathroom looks like it will be the smallest of any category on Regent. I think the shower, which was huge on the Explorer, is now opposite the sinks. The new closet looks wonderful , but who wants access off the entry area. Would have settled for original. Why was the bar sink removed? Love it for coffee and other items. Now you will need to go thru the closet to get water from the bathroom. Bad design.

Some folks complained about the size of the closet. It was large enough for me. Loved the old layout.

Hope I am wrong. I have this suite booked and may be sorry.

Sheila

Sheila - where did you see the mock-up? I went to the website and the "layout" said "coming soon" so you must have found it elsewhere. Hope that you will share the information.

Thanks much,

Jackie

Jackie,

Google “seven seas splendor mock up” to see pictures of the mock-ups on several sites. I share Sheila’s disapointment.

Hambagable, You'll enjoy the Grand Suite. Yes the gray chair should go because it just isn't comfortable and hard to get out once you sit in it and really isn't needed. The dining area is a small area that needs a little more room. With the chair gone this would be easy. The "L" sofa is big but very comfortable for lounging around, we liked it. We don't really use the suite to entertain, maybe we did this two times with 4 guest each time and it was nice without any problems. We were in the back of the ship which has a really nice big deck. My understanding all Grand Suites aren't the same size some bigger but have smaller decks. Now on the SS Splendor in April 2020 we'll be doing a b2b starting in Miami-New York-Barcelona. During that cruise we'll be in the front Grand Suite for the first cruise, then movings to a center Grand Suite for the second half. The center suite looks bigger in the deck plan. Regent said to CC they don't plan on changing the Grand Suite colors and not using the new designer. I think that is a mistake, but that's my opinion. I'd like to see that suite have the same theme as the others using the new designer keeping a common thread on the ship. When Regent refitted the SS Mariner they didn't redo any of the bigger named suites. When we boarded the ship we knew Regent made a mistake--so did Regent. After the GM looked at our suite the furniture was taken out and reupholstered, one of the dining room chairs also had to be fixed. On our next Regent cruise we'll be on the SS Mariner again but in the other Grand Suite--so we're hoping they took the hint and redid that suite also. Back to the Grand Suite, you'll enjoy it---could it be a little bigger? Yes, however it was great for the two of us with a small get together from time to time. So enjoy. Rick

Thanks Rich for all the details - and Jackie too. We are in 785 which is one of the two stern Grand Suites. I am not all that fussed about inside space on the Panama Canal cruise but did want a large terrace - which we have!

The new itineraries are normal Mediterranean fare, and fares, but notable is the return to Istanbul as an debarkation/embarkation port. (A few months earlier, Regent added a couple of Istanbul itineraries as an in-between port.)

It is good to see that Istanbul is back. While it is too early to tell, I wonder if there will be a pre-cruise to Cappadocia. F&B Director Daniela just vacationed there and posted photos on the Regent Social site. There was interest from some people after seeing photos of what I consider the most magical place in the world.

Thanks Drib for the head's up, these have now been corrected.