What to do in Athensin January?

soraya

We're in Athens in mid-January. We've been to the main sites a couple of times and were wondering what to do in potentially not great weather. I quite fancied Delphi but have read that with rain in the mountains and shorter daylight times, that this might not be best for January. Can anyone recommend anything else - we're interested in history and food!

Are you there as a port day or are you staying in Athens for several days pre- or post-cruise?

If it is a port day and you haven't been to Corinth it's a nice trip. The site is pretty and there's a small onsite museum.

Alternatively, you might want to have a Plan B in case of rainy weather. There are some nice, smaller museums in Athens that many people don't get to. (I'm assuming you've already visited the Acropolis Museum and the National Archaeological Museum). The Byzantine and Christian Museum is quite nice, as is the Museum of Cycladic Art and the Benaki Museum (I personally like the latter very much). If you know the story of Heinrich Schliemann (discoverer of Troy and Mycenae), the mansion he had built in Athens now serves as the Numismatic Museum -- worth visiting just to see the house, but also if you have an interest in ancient coins.

Delphi is really too far for a day, and I agree that in January the weather could be far from ideal...