Viking Ocean Cruises Drink Policy

djb2429

Hi all seasoned VOC sailors.....saw the following under Viking's FAQs " Viking offers a Silver Spirits beverage package, which covers any drinks (excluding champagne) up to $15.00, including premium wines by the glass, cocktails, all house pouring wines, beers....." - we tend to drink champagne more than wine or beer. Any idea which champagne they have by the glass & the cost per glass? TIA

Hi all seasoned VOC sailors.....saw the following under Viking's FAQs " Viking offers a Silver Spirits beverage package, which covers any drinks (excluding champagne) up to $15.00, including premium wines by the glass, cocktails, all house pouring wines, beers....." - we tend to drink champagne more than wine or beer. Any idea which champagne they have by the glass & the cost per glass? TIA

In MyVikingJourney, the sample bar menu:

Champagne & Sparkling Wine

Viking Sparkling Wine 75cl $25, GLS 15cl $5.50

Prosecco Casa Burti $35, $8

Drappier Carte D’or, Brut $55, $16

Veuve Clicquot, Brut $82

Veuve Clicquot Rose, Brut $138

What do they mean by $15? Per day limit, per drink?

So, if I want a glass (or 2) of Chianti or Sauvignon Blanc before dinner instead of the included house red or white, it will be less than the $15 limit?

No the $15 limit is the cost of one specialty drink. You can have all the Chianti and sSauvignon blanc that you can drink

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So, if I want a glass (or 2) of Chianti or Sauvignon Blanc before dinner instead of the included house red or white, it will be less than the $15 limit?

Right. The price printed on the menu has to be under $15. There is no limit to the number of servings you may have per day. Both people in your cabin must get the drink package.

Right. The price printed on the menu has to be under $15. There is no limit to the number of servings you may have per day. Both people in your cabin must get the drink package.

It appears a listing of current drink prices might be in order...

http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/mvj/onboardbeveragemenu_europe.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I understand the $ limit, etc. But the Viking Daily ad was stated as a total exclusion. It can be seen in this thread https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2676574 in the link posted by CharTrav in post 4 or in the attached image

We had SS package and had free drinks at Torshavn. I was introduced to Armagnac there and loved it. The main criteria is the drink should be under $15.00. You also have 15% discount for the bottles exceeding $50.00

Thanks for posting the recent listing. For those perusing, note the prices are in Euros so probably lower prices in $

Then what you are looking at is a menu for river cruises and not applicable to ocean cruises. The onboard currency for oceans is dollars and the bar menus are different.

Tried unsuccessfully to find definition of "free during lunch and dinner".

Does this mean only free when seated for meal, or free at all bars and restaurants during specified hours? If the latter, what are the hours?

Free at all bars and restaurants during posted meal times. Those times are posted in the Viking Daily. They may vary a little depending on the port times, but generally they are about the same every day

Cyber Kat, we had our first VO cruise earlier this year, on the Star. The first night onboard, I asked about getting a glass of wine at the Viking Bar (during evening meal time) and was told by a server that the "included" wine and beer was only available when you are eating in one of the dining venues. Now I am wondering if I was given incorrect information???

I'm not cyber kat but I can tell you that on our cruise if you went to the World Cafe bar (or any server) they would give us wine or beer to go. We did not have to be seated at a table. Also at the bar by the pool where they do the hamburgers it was the same thing, so we could get a glass and go sit in the wintergarden or on deck to enjoy it. So I think it has to be a restaurant bar.

It appears a listing of current drink prices might be in order...

http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/mvj/onboardbeveragemenu_europe.pdf

Thanks for posting this drink menu. I have tried to find an answer to the selection of Single Malt Scotch aboard VO. I realize the menu posted is Viking River Cruise.

Is the SMS aboard Ocean cruises same or similar? The sample bar menu on the MVJ only shows a couple Scotch Whisky selections. I’m sure it’s not comprehensive. Seems to me the selections should be similar.

I'm not cyber kat but I can tell you that on our cruise if you went to the World Cafe bar (or any server) they would give us wine or beer to go. We did not have to be seated at a table. Also at the bar by the pool where they do the hamburgers it was the same thing, so we could get a glass and go sit in the wintergarden or on deck to enjoy it. So I think it has to be a restaurant bar.

Thanks for sharing your experience stetchcruz! It is good to know that you don't have to be seated in one of the restaurants in order to enjoy the lunch/evening complimentary wine and beer. What ship were you on? I'm hoping this is a fleet-wide policy. :D

Thanks for posting this drink menu. I have tried to find an answer to the selection of Single Malt Scotch aboard VO. I realize the menu posted is Viking River Cruise.

Is the SMS aboard Ocean cruises same or similar? The sample bar menu on the MVJ only shows a couple Scotch Whisky selections. I’m sure it’s not comprehensive. Seems to me the selections should be similar.

Surprisingly, I’m having difficulty finding the VO (pun intended) bar menu online. I’m hopeful someone who saves such things from prior cruises will post a copy from their “archives”.

Viking Ocean Whisky

DEWAR’S 4CL $6.00

JOHNNIE WALKER RED 4CL $6.00

JIM BEAM 4CL $6.00

JAMESON 4CL $6.00

CANADIAN CLUB 4CL $8.00

JACK DANIEL’S 4CL $8.00

CHIVAS REGAL 4CL $8.00

GLENFIDDICH, SINGLE MALT 4CL $8.00

ABERLOUR, SINGLE MALT 10 YRS 4CL $8.00

SEAGRAM’S CROWN ROYAL 4CL $8.00

Viking Ocean Whisky

DEWAR’S 4CL $6.00

JOHNNIE WALKER RED 4CL $6.00

JIM BEAM 4CL $6.00

JAMESON 4CL $6.00

CANADIAN CLUB 4CL $8.00

JACK DANIEL’S 4CL $8.00

CHIVAS REGAL 4CL $8.00

GLENFIDDICH, SINGLE MALT 4CL $8.00

ABERLOUR, SINGLE MALT 10 YRS 4CL $8.00

SEAGRAM’S CROWN ROYAL 4CL $8.00

That selection is directly off the menu posted on MVJ. This shows two very common Single Malt Scotch choices. The River cruise menu shown on the other link had quite a nice selection and is more in line with what I think a premium cruise line should have available. I have asked this question several different times and never receive an answer to indicate the sample menu is only that, a sample. Someone who drinks Scotch is lurking out there with experience.

Glenfiddich and Aberlour 10 yr are a pretty short list. The rest listed are Bourbon, Canadian Blends or Blended Scotch/Irish

Glenfiddich and Aberlour 10 yr are a pretty short list. The rest listed are Bourbon, Canadian Blends or Blended Scotch/Irish

The good stuff is in Torshavn which has its own bar menu. Maybe someone with an upcoming departure date can take some pictures of the bar menu there and share them.

That selection is directly off the menu posted on MVJ. This shows two very common Single Malt Scotch choices. The River cruise menu shown on the other link had quite a nice selection and is more in line with what I think a premium cruise line should have available. I have asked this question several different times and never receive an answer to indicate the sample menu is only that, a sample. Someone who drinks Scotch is lurking out there with experience.

I drink scotch. That's all they had at the main bars on Viking Sea on my cruise.

I drink scotch. That's all they had at the main bars on Viking Sea on my cruise.

That is disappointing information, but what I wanted to find out. That is a very anemic selection. I assume Torshavn has some decent scotch that is still under $15/drink?

That is disappointing information, but what I wanted to find out. That is a very anemic selection. I assume Torshavn has some decent scotch that is still under $15/drink?

I would be patient at this point and wait for someone to report on the Torshavn bar menu. It may take a while for someone to see this thread and the request and then respond to it. In the meantime, watch for a live thread, someone posting while on board, and post there asking for someone to take photos of the Torshavn bar menu and share them.

Two small suggestions. First, I think you are permitted to bring a couple of bottles of your own stuff on board and second, as we traveled around the world brands changed a bit depending on availability at each port. You might even call Viking and see if they will take a special order to the Provisions Master. It's easy for us as we normally drink Jack, Vodka, or rum. Just call me easy...:cool:

I agree with you, as I like the Islay scotches. Dunno about Tor as I never went there. Someone else will need to answer.

C'mon Viking. Up your scotch game!

You can BYOB onboard. No issues with Viking.