The Famous Cuban Sandwich

MACE

While in Cuba, did your partake of the awesome Cuban Sandwich?

What place in Havana (or the other POCs was it at) and how awesome was it? Would you go back again to that establishment and/or recommend it?

Was it better than what you could get in Miami and/or better than what you're cruise ship offered?

Edited by MACE

"Cuban sandwiches" were invented in Tampa FL as lunch for the cigar factory workers. .

Recommend you try something truly local while in Cuba, rather than be disappointed by something invented by and for tourists.

Our cruise director even told us not to order one in his instructional talk.

You will get a far better one in Miami or Tampa.

"Cuban sandwiches" were invented in Tampa FL as lunch for the cigar factory workers. .

Recommend you try something truly local while in Cuba, rather than be disappointed by something invented by and for tourists.

So true, but don't spoil thier trip ;)

Lots of tasty Cuban food to be had. Even really nice pork sandwiches.

Go to China and order "General Tso's Chicken" and you will get the same blank looks. We live 2 blocks from the Chinese consulate in NYC and there are several restaurants in the area that serve both "American" Chinese food and the authentic stuff. I love the real stuff, my wife has....issues...with it.

Gotta love the Internet, what you read as fact, could be just as subjective as one's taste in food.

BTW, I'm not disputing what your CD said, just about what one reads on the Web!

I've read that about where the Cuban Sandwich was invented, most references list Key West ahead of Tampa.

Also read this: "It's believed that the first Cuban sandwich was made more than a quincentenary ago the by Taíno tribe in Cuba. They were one of three different cultures that inhabited the island before Europeans arrived. Jorge Astorquiza, a food chemist in Tampa, says the Taínos used casabe bread, made from yucca, to make the dish"

Regardless, still desire when in Cuba, to try a Cuban Sandwich from a local shop, bet it will have a coat of yellow mustard spread on the bread, sliced Roast Pork, Ham, Swiss Cheese, and thinly sliced dill pickles, all added in layers, with the pickles on top. Sometimes the pork may be marinated in mojo and slow roasted. Rumor has it, it's not a true Cuban Sandwich if it includes salami, which Tampa shops seem to like adding.

Edited by MACE

Go to China and order "General Tso's Chicken" and you will get the same blank looks. We live 2 blocks from the Chinese consulate in NYC and there are several restaurants in the area that serve both "American" Chinese food and the authentic stuff. I love the real stuff, my wife has....issues...with it.

So are you saying, go to Cuba and ask for a "Cuban Sandwich", you'll get blank stares. Have you actually been to Cuba and this happened to you?

BTW, how do you say: "I would like a Cuban Sandwich" in Chinese?

Wǒ xiǎng yào yīgè gǔbā sānmíngzhì

Edited by MACE

Gotta love the Internet, what you read as fact, could be just as subjective as one's taste in food.

I've read that about where the Cuban Sandwich was invented, most references list Key West ahead of Tampa.

Also read this: "It's believed that the first Cuban sandwich was made more than a quincentenary ago the by Taíno tribe in Cuba. They were one of three different cultures that inhabited the island before Europeans arrived. Jorge Astorquiza, a food chemist in Tampa, says the Taínos used casabe bread, made from yucca, to make the dish"

Regardless, still desire when in Cuba, to try a Cuban Sandwich from a local shop, bet it will have a coat of yellow mustard spread on the bread, sliced Roast Pork, Ham, Swiss Cheese, and thinly sliced dill pickles, all added in layers, with the pickles on top. Sometimes the pork may be marinated in mojo and slow roasted. Rumor has it, it's not a true Cuban Sandwich if it includes salami, which Tampa shops seem to like adding.

If as you exit the terminal turn left, head about 200 yards. cross the road and there is a small family run cafe, can't recall its name.

They sell a nice range of Cuban food. Sit outside if it's cool enough and watch the world walk by.

I think they even (The horror!) list a Cuban sandwich on their menu.

I think it's mostly a pork sandwich with a few fixings.

We really enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. Very casual and mostly locals with a few confused looking tourists.

Greetings

I think you will find that the "Cuban Sandwich" as we know it immigrated from the US to Cuba not the other way around. They now have them in Cuba because of the demand of tourist. In a similar fashion you can find Caesar Salad through much of Italy even though the Caesar Salad was not invented there and was in fact first made in Mexico. Cuba has long had a roast pork sandwich which is probably the closest thing to the "Cuban Sandwich". And yes, I have been to Cuba and in fact my family is from Cuba.

Good Sailing

Tom

Google told you all that and not where to get a sandwich in Cuba? Sigh I guess I'll cancel my cruise now knowing all this.publix makes a pretty good one in their deli so no need for me to go.

We've been to Cuba, and the best sandwiches we got were from a street vendor. I don't know what passes for Cuban sandwich in the US, but in Cuba it was pulled pork and/or ham, pickles, mustard and cheese. We had them at the resort and at a Cuban cafe that we went to on a tour, but none was as good as the ones we bought in downtown Havana from a street vendor.

We've been to Cuba, and the best sandwiches we got were from a street vendor. I don't know what passes for Cuban sandwich in the US, but in Cuba it was pulled pork and/or ham, pickles, mustard and cheese. We had them at the resort and at a Cuban cafe that we went to on a tour, but none was as good as the ones we bought in downtown Havana from a street vendor.

The sandwich originated at the Columbia Restaurant in Tampa. The street vendors in Havana apparently have followed the recipe.

From the Columbia's menu:

The Original Cuban Sandwich--A Tampa treasure! The “Mixto,” as it was known in the beginning, was created in the 1890s for the cigar workers as they walked to and from work. The sandwiches underwent changes as immigrants from different countries came to Ybor City. The city of Tampa was like the sandwich, a mixture of cultures and food. The Spanish brought the fine ham, the Sicilians the Genoa salami, the Cubans the Mojo marinated Roast Pork, the Germans and Jews the Swiss Cheese, pickle and mustard. Put it all together in between sliced freshly baked Tampa Cuban bread from La Segunda Central Bakery and life is great. Today we are using the original 1915 recipe of Casimiro Hernandez Sr., with the same proportions of meat and each ingredient layered on top of one another, placed on Cuban bread brushed with butter on top and pressed to a crispy finish.

The sandwich originated at the Columbia Restaurant in Tampa. The street vendors in Havana apparently have followed the recipe.

From the Columbia's menu:

Is this from your 'Google Experience' and you're just quoting what you read on the Internet? Have you actually been to this place, and they all swear this is the God Forbidden "Cuban Sandwich" truth? Just saying because this like some other hand full of "facts" some self anointed experts of the Cuban Sandwich, claim to be true

Sent from my 5049W using Forums mobile app

Is this from your 'Google Experience' and you're just quoting what you read on the Internet? Have you actually been to this place, and they all swear this is the God Forbidden "Cuban Sandwich" truth? Just saying because this like some other hand full of "facts" some self anointed experts of the Cuban Sandwich, claim to be true

I have been both to the Columbia Restaurant (where I had the sandwich) and to Havana (where I did not). The best that I have had so far was at the Versailles on Calle Ocho in Little Havana.

I have been both to the Columbia Restaurant (where I had the sandwich) and to Havana (where I did not). The best that I have had so far was at the Versailles on Calle Ocho in Little Havana.
Nice, thanks for sharing this

I've only experienced having two Cuban Sandwiches, first time in New Hampshire (go figure) but one you'll base all others on, and the 2nd @ Margaritaville in Myrtle Beach, not as good as my first one.

IMO, I really don't care who claims to have been the first to invent such and such.

Look at NYC, where everyone claims to be the first to offer Pizza, Hotdogs, Pastrami, Corned Beef, Bagels, etc

I just want to go someplace that has good tasty food, the hell with who claims to have invented it!

Back to the Cuban, if and when larger ships call in Cuba, such as the Oasis Class, I wouldn't be surprised if the Park Cafe replaces their awesome Beef on Weck, with the Cuban Sandwich

We invited our tour guide to have lunch with us at the Ambos Mundos & he laughed when he saw a "Cuban sandwich" on the menu. Apparently it was there for the American tourists.
Thanks for sharing your experience, pretty cool you took your tour guide to lunch with you.

Based on the feedback here (thanks all for you experiences, thoughts, and opinions), when boarding a cruise ship to Cuba, on that cruise ship's Affidavit, I'm gonna write in my own box to check off:

SFTCP - Search for the Cuban(Sandwich) Possibility.

Since OFAC regulates travel to Cuba with the 12 categories of authorized travel, I'm going to propose they offer a new category 13:

Officially Finding a Cuban(Sandwich)

Thanks all...lol

Based on the feedback here (thanks all for you experiences, thoughts, and opinions), when boarding a cruise ship to Cuba, on that cruise ship's Affidavit, I'm gonna write in my own box to check off:

SFTCP - Search for the Cuban(Sandwich) Possibility.

Since OFAC regulates travel to Cuba with the 12 categories of authorized travel, I'm going to propose they offer a new category 13:

Officially Finding a Cuban(Sandwich)

Thanks all...lol

:'):')

Try Ropa Vieja, that is an authentic dish there. AND very good!!

So are you saying, go to Cuba and ask for a "Cuban Sandwich", you'll get blank stares. Have you actually been to Cuba and this happened to you?

Yes, I've been to Cuba and I also speak Spanish (Mexican Spanish, but it still works). You will find "Cuban Sandwiches" at the tourist-oriented places in Havana, because of demand by American tourists. In other places, they will not know what you want.

Yes, I've been to Cuba and I also speak Spanish (Mexican Spanish, but it still works). You will find "Cuban Sandwiches" at the tourist-oriented places in Havana, because of demand by American tourists. In other places, they will not know what you want.

I think his next quest will be going to Paris in search of "real" french fries.

I think his next quest will be going to Paris in search of "real" french fries.

Wait, wasn't there a movement to call French Fries - Freedom Fries?

BTW, I have no interest in going to Paris

:'):')

Try Ropa Vieja, that is an authentic dish there. AND very good!!

I know this dish, its shredded or pulled stewed beef with vegetables.

and flagged as one of the national dishes of Cuba, but it is also popular in other areas or parts of the Caribbean such as Puerto Rico and Panama, and I would defiantly search it out while in Cuba,

But let me tell you about the satisfying taste of the "Cuban Sandwich" (aka the Cubano), that Cuban exiles and expatriates brought it to the US. Who doesn't like the flavors of ham, roasted pork (traditionally marinated in a mojo sauce redolent with orange juice, lime juice, garlic, oregano, and cumin before roasting), Swiss cheese, pickles, and mustard, and then grilled!

All you Tampa folks need not apply with putting Salami on the Cubano

I know this dish, its shredded or pulled stewed beef with vegetables.

and flagged as one of the national dishes of Cuba, but it is also popular in other areas or parts of the Caribbean such as Puerto Rico and Panama, and I would defiantly search it out while in Cuba,

But let me tell you about the satisfying taste of the "Cuban Sandwich" (aka the Cubano), that Cuban exiles and expatriates brought it to the US. Who doesn't like the flavors of ham, roasted pork (traditionally marinated in a mojo sauce redolent with orange juice, lime juice, garlic, oregano, and cumin before roasting), Swiss cheese, pickles, and mustard, and then grilled!

All you Tampa folks need not apply with putting Salami on the Cubano

I do love a good Cuban (sandwich) and have enjoyed them in many restaurants along the east coast of Florida. I did NOT ask for one while in Cuba;p;p

• 2 weeks later...
While in Cuba, did your partake of the awesome Cuban Sandwich?

What place in Havana (or the other POCs was it at) and how awesome was it? Would you go back again to that establishment and/or recommend it?

Was it better than what you could get in Miami and/or better than what you're cruise ship offered?

Best Cuban Sandwiches or in Tampa Don't bother in Havana