Recommendations for Antarctica lines?

Linanbob2

Interested in an Antarctica cruise the winter of 2017-18.

Our general parameters are:

1. Have to make landfall - no "Drive By".
  2. We're <ahem> a "middle-aged" couple, and would prefer a trip with people we'd likely have something in common with. Especially since parameter 1 will tend to dictate a smaller ship.
  3. We (particularly her) aren't really up for a "roughing-it" sort of trip. She insists on a balcony not a porthole, so the "expedition ship" is probably out.
  4. We understand it's a pricey destination generally, and we're of some means. But it would be a mighty mental struggle to spend $50-60K on a single vacation. I'd love to bring it in noticeably under that.

Suggestions?

We've traveled to both the Arctic and Antarctic regions with Quark Expeditions. Both trips were on an approx. 100 passenger 'expedition' ship. None of the cabins had a private balcony, as much as I can recall, but windows or port-holes.

On these trips, we did two landings (if possible) per day. There wasn't a lot of spare time to sit on a private cabin balcony. Moreover, when we were cruising through a spectacular viewing area, we tended to be out on the decks where we could have a 360 perspective for views and photos. If the weather was wet and cold, I'm not sure how long one would want to stay out on a private balcony. If the seas were rocking and rolling, the ship could advise staying off a balcony.

Next year, we're traveling to the Falklands and South Georgia with Poseidon Expeditions. Our primary cabin location focus continues to be on a mid ship location, with less concern about a balcony, windows or port-holes. Though, a mid ship location generally translates into at least a couple of windows. We did want to travel on a smaller expedition ship so that we could maximize our landing time.

In respect to selecting an expedition company, we focus on long-term experience, staffing that includes biologists, ornithologists, photographer and geologists, safety focus and costs. We have at times been able to take advantage of considerable early-booking discounts.

I hope this helps.

Bob

I second the opinion that the cabin does not matter much as you will actually spend very little time in it. You will want to be out on deck to enjoy the view from all side, or you will be away on a landing. The cabin is for sleep and shower, mostly. Choosing a cabin mid-ship and in a low deck will also be better for the rough seas, as you will feel the movement of the ship even more if you are higher in the ship (where often the most luxury cabins are) or towards one extremity. So think carefully about the necessity of paying more for a balcony you may end up not using. If this is really a deal-breaker, look at Ponant ships maybe.

More important in my opinion for choosing a ship for Antarctica is :

-size of ship (if more than 100 people, you will need to rotate for landing, as only 100 people are usually allowed onland at the same time)

- itinerary and length of trip (particularly, do you want to include South Georgia, which to my mind is highly recommended)

- quantity and quality of expedition staff

- other activities offered (included in the price, or extra) : zodiac cruises, kayak, overnight camping...

- other amenities offered should come after all this

The usual advice that is given is : choose the longest trip you can afford with your time/budget constraint and that includes South Georgia.

This awesome website can be of help for your choice : http://www.traveltothepoles.com/

We have travelled to Antarctica and the Arctic four times and are returning to Antarctica once again later this year on Hurtigruten's Fram. She offers a really good compromise between size, cost and comfort. A cabin low down and midships is usually best for comfort and cost. We would never pay to sway!

In terms of a balcony, we would never use one. If you're on the lookout for wildlife then you need to be on deck to have the freedom to move from side to side and bow to stern. The only times were are in our cabin is when we are asleep, showering or changing.

The age range on each of our trips has been from 20s to 80s, with a single 'single figure' child on two of them. I'm not sure what the 'middle aged' have in common with each other that they don't with the rest of the population. We have always found attributes other than age to be relevant to our enjoyment.

You can find, and ask for, endless advice at https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i12337-Antarctic_Adventures.html. Links at the top right of the page lead to FAQs on just about everything Antarctic trip related.

Edited by digitl

We were on G Adventures Expedition last Feb/March. It was wonderful beyond words. There are no cabins with balconies which is the norm. The food and comfort were suberb and Antarctica is beyond beautiful and amazing.

On our ship we had a 19 year old with his family and all ages well represented up to in the 80s.

Do check out that wonderful resource mentioned above: Travel to the Poles.

Edited by maryann ns

You might want to look at Seabourn. We have cruised then exclusively for 15 years and so for our first Antarctica cruise in December (24 days Valparaiso to Buenos Aires) we have booked Seabourn. Most of the suites (it is an all suite ship) have balconies.

They have an experienced expedition crew and we will have 6 days of Antarctica landings and two days in South Georgia Island landings. Seabourn's other Antarctic cruises stop at the Falklands instead of SGI. The Quest is ice hulled but about as far from an expedition ship as you can imagine. It is all inclusive, the food is very good, and the suites are all spacious with a walk in closet and separate tub and shower in every bathroom. But thing about Seabourn, and what us coming back is the stellar service -- warm and attentive. And you can do the cruise for well under the prices you mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I second the opinion that the cabin does not matter much as you will actually spend very little time in it. You will want to be out on deck to enjoy the view from all side, or you will be away on a landing. The cabin is for sleep and shower, mostly. Choosing a cabin mid-ship and in a low deck will also be better for the rough seas, as you will feel the movement of the ship even more if you are higher in the ship (where often the most luxury cabins are) or towards one extremity. So think carefully about the necessity of paying more for a balcony you may end up not using. If this is really a deal-breaker, look at Ponant ships maybe.

More important in my opinion for choosing a ship for Antarctica is :

-size of ship (if more than 100 people, you will need to rotate for landing, as only 100 people are usually allowed onland at the same time)

- itinerary and length of trip (particularly, do you want to include South Georgia, which to my mind is highly recommended)

- quantity and quality of expedition staff

- other activities offered (included in the price, or extra) : zodiac cruises, kayak, overnight camping...

- other amenities offered should come after all this

The usual advice that is given is : choose the longest trip you can afford with your time/budget constraint and that includes South Georgia.

This awesome website can be of help for your choice : http://www.traveltothepoles.com/

Almost nothing to add to this as it sums it up perfectly. Cabin choice for an expedition is nothing like choosing it for a ocean liner cruise. You will only be in there to shower and sleep. You will not be lazing round on balconies.

The age range on each of our trips has been from 20s to 80s, with a single 'single figure' child on two of them. I'm not sure what the 'middle aged' have in common with each other that they don't with the rest of the population. We have always found attributes other than age to be relevant to our enjoyment.

Agree Digitl. On all of my trips the age range has been expansive and the commonalities are that everyone has a polar passion. Age has nothing to do with how you all communicate and get along. I have sat having breakfast with a 15 year old (daughter of expedition member) and a 96 year old man at the same time. We never once ran out of conversation. To be honest - hanging out with "your own kind" the entire time would get pretty dull ! The amount of fascinating conversations than can be had with people of all walks of life is what makes the world go round.

Digitl also provided the link to the Trip Advisor polar forum where we have compiled extensive FAQs and trip reports on practically every expedition company and ship - all cross referenced for easy comparison. Its a good place to start and see the many travellers stories.

If I'm not mistaken, there are about 400 passengers on the Quest? If that is the case, I honestly think this is too much for an expedition trip to Antarctica. And then the ship is important, because you will spend a lot of time on it.

I have been twice in Antarctica on a ship with 200 passengers (Hurtigruten's Fram). We were able to do 2 landings a day, with a rotation system that was very smoothly handled, and most of the time I felt I had a decent time ashore, but there were time where I did feel I would have been happy with more time. Twice that number of passengers would be way too much for me, and as I said in my first message, I would strongly advise someone wanting to do an expedition trip to Antarctica against going with a ship of more than 200 passengers.

BTW, apart from the walking closet and tub, the ship I traveled on had all the amenities you are mentioning (including wonderful crew).

Life hazards made it so that I had to cancel my upcoming trip on the same ship. When I return to Antarctica, it will very likely be on a smaller ship. This trips cost a small fortune, and I'd rather my money went into my experience of Antarctica rather than towards a separate tub in my cabin.

But to each his own of course. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time, but again I would not recommend such a big ship to someone.

By "expedition ship" I mean a ship that will allow its passengers to do landings (by constrast to a cruise ship that will do cruise-by without landings). For me Seabourn Quest is an expedition ship in that sense. Most "expedition ships" that go to Antarctica today have a very good level of comfort and service. Fram's comfort and service is excellent. If OP is looking for something even more upscale, I advised Ponant, who has ships with 200 passengers and 5* level accomodation and food, and most cabins have balconies.

If I'm not mistaken, there are about 400 passengers on the Quest? If that is the case, I honestly think this is too much for an expedition trip to Antarctica. And then the ship is important, because you will spend a lot of time on it.

t again I would not recommend such a big ship to someone.

We were on the Quest a couple of years ago on one of the first trips to Antarctica and there wasn't any problems with the numbers as the Quest staff kept zodiacs going all day ferrying people ashore managing to keep the 100 ashore at all times. I think that some may have stayed a little longer than others if they wished

Maybe by having a few more people on board it keeps the cost down,

I agree. We had 130 on G Adventures Expedition wit 20 kayaking and 10 or so on zodiac cruises we had lots of time on land. I never once felt I would have liked to stay longer.

In addition a much larger ship could not have gone to some of the places we did and in other places would have had to anchor further from shore making for longer zodiac trips.

I thought our ship was wonderful: extremely comfortable and the food was amazing with lots of variety and choice.

I will be the first to admit that Seabourn to Antartica may not be for everyone. Even we loyal Seabourn cruisers did seriously consider going Lindblad (whom he have loved for our adventure trips) and their National Geographic Explorer ship. But please whatever the Seabourn Quest may or may not be it is not an expedition ship -- it is a small luxury cruise ship. But I will go back to not whether Seabourn offers the "best" Antarctica cruise because that is subjective and it totally depends on what is important to the poster. In this case the poster stated -- small ship ( yes, by cruise ship -- not expedition ship standards --standards 400 PAX is small , not drive by and his wife wants a balcony. Seabourn checks all of those boxes. Maybe they don't care about only one landing a day. Maybe they do want a cruise that goes to South Georgia. Maybe they do want a cruise that goes from the west to the east side of South America rather than back and forth from Ushuaia. So it would be nice if the OP came back to provide feedback. As to Ponant, all I can say is that it gets dreadful reviews in CC. I know of two sets of friends who cruised on Ponant and felt if you were not French you received poor service and that as self-styled luxury ship the food, wine and accommodations were disappointing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With 400 on board, even with zodiacs 'going all day' they will only get half the time ashore that those on a ship carrying 200 would.

We never heard of one complaint about the time everyone had on shore

As I said earlier we could have stayed longer but the time we spent ashore was fine with us

Nobody told us we had to go back to the Quest at any stage

But please whatever the Seabourn Quest may or may not be it is not an expedition ship -- it is a small luxury cruise ship.

'Expedition' doesn't refer to relative levels of comfort, it refers to the fact that landings will be attempted and their locations may (will!) change at short notice to account for issues such as weather and ice. On that basis, Quest is an 'expedition' ship.

I'm just trying to help the OP here. The more people on the ship, the less time (over the whole trip) you will spend ashore. A ship with more passengers will do less landings (because each landing takes time when you have to zodiac hundreds of passengers ashore) and/or people will spend less time at the landing spots. Also, ships with more passengers will be limited in their choice of landing spots as some zones are restricted to a total number of passengers per day. This is true for 200-passengers ships over ships with less than 100 passengers. This is even more true for ships with 400 to 500 passengers as Quest (or Hurtigruten's Midnatsol this season, for which it is clear that only one landing per day will be attempted).

I think if the OP follows the various leads and links that have been given in this discussion he will probably find what suits him and his wife at some point. Basically, it comes down to where you want your money to go : towards the experience of Antarctica, or towards the experience of the ship. Either choice is perfectly respectable as long as you know what you are signing up for.

Check out Noble Caledonia. Their Island Sky is heading south soon. 100 pax so loads of landings. 5 star luxury on board. We are booked so maybe see you there. 23 days out of Ushaia doing Falklands, S Georgia then Antarctica. Yes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

You may also want to consider Ponant's Le Soleal sailing Jan 23, 2018, for 17 days. Sails r/t from Ushuaia and goes to Falklands, S Georgia, Antarctica, crosses the polar circle. Luxury ship, balcony cabins, limits to 199 on Antarctica sailings. DH & I (56 & 51) are booked on this sailing. Our parameters were similar to yours, with the addition of wanting access to fine food and wine, which we provided to a travel agency that specializes in expeditions and expedition cruises. They came back with a couple of suggestions for us (Silversea, Ponant) and we chose this one, after some discussion. It is a French line, so will not be for everyone, but as I could be considered a Francophile, I think it will be a comfortable fit for us.

As in any form of travel, everyone will have their wants and needs and they will differ from person to person. Thankfully there are lots of options to fit.

Thanks all for the input. Real life kept me away for a little while or I'd have been more responsive to the comments.

A few random responses:

• It's been harder to find the "ideal" for this trip. The 10-day itinerary seems too short for the distance traveled to get there (coming from US midwest). But much more than, say, 16-17 days or so starts creating work-related issues.
  • We've heard enough about South Georgia to want to include it, but so far, every itinerary I've looked at shows a reduced number of days on the Antarctic peninsula when it's added. Given the inherent uncertainties of weather & sea, ideally we'd want to maximize the opportunities there.
  • My initial reference to "expedition ship" was intended to denote the smaller, fewer frills ships. I wasn't putting, say, Ponant's fleet in that category. I now understand my error and will adjust my vocabulary. We absolutely, positively want an expedition ship!
  • I also noted the less-than-fantastic reviews of Ponant. This is probably the reason we haven't booked yet. Haven't come to a conclusion whether the criticisms were serious or coming from people who had unrealistic expectations.
  • We've made lifelong friends while traveling. We don't consider ourselves snobs (but I suppose that's for others to judge). While I agree that age doesn't have to make a difference in getting along with someone, the larger the intersection in life experiences, the more likely it is you will.
  • Agree completely about the unassailable math related to the time needed in getting people ashore. 200 seems to be a practical top end.
  • The interesting thing I learned is that apparently Tauck "buys" one of Ponant's boats for the month of January. (Whether Tauck actually runs the operation or simply buys the space, don't know.) They run their "Antarctica Earth Journey" trip that is essentially the same as the Ponant "Emblematic Antarctica" trip.
  • Re. balcony, I hear the counterargument. But wife enjoys taking morning coffee and we both enjoy a pre-dinner drink out there taking in the scenery. I've read reviews where people seemed to put it to good use that way.

Perhaps we'll just flip a coin...

Thanks again everybody.

Edited by Linanbob2