Royal testing to bring back same drink package for all

From an official source:

On July 7th, Royal Caribbean will be running a pilot program to test a change to the purchase of the Deluxe Beverage Package and Sip + Stream combo.

This pilot program will be for eight Harmony of the Seas sailings starting September 30, 2017 through November 18, 2017. Please see the specific dates below:

9/30/2017

10/7/2017

10/14/2017

10/21/2017

11/4/2017

11/11/2017

11/18/2017

Royal Caribbean’s Deluxe Beverage Package gives a guest nearly unlimited refreshment options at one set price; cocktails, beer, wine by the glass, soda, juice, and more. Since introducing the package, we have noted an increase in the amount of beverages that are being shared between those who have purchased the package and those who have not. Since the package price is intended to cover consumption by a single guest, we are revising our purchase policy and bringing it in line with industry standards.

As of July 7th, any guest cruising on select Harmony of the Seas sailings who wishes to purchase the Deluxe Beverage Package or Sip + Stream combo must do so along with all other guests 21 years of age or older who are booked in the same stateroom.

DD went on Carnival Nov. 2016 for honeymoon...her husband wanted the drink package she didn't but they require both to get the package. They said they didn't come close to drinks $700 so next time they will just pay as they go.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Thank you. Long time lurker. Thought it was about time I came out of the shadows.

Curious about your official source. First post, just joined - not being facetious but sincerely asking about that. Rumors abound on these boards and the posts move quickly. :confused:

I figured people might be distrustful. Nothing I can do to mitigate those feelings without revealing more than I should. Let's just say I have a friend who attended a meeting today.

Well now, here's the thing. This information from this official source reads like it was written by a corporate entity.

If you take chunks of that release verbatim and run a Google search, guess what. In all of the information on all of the Internet Google points you to only one place. This CC thread.

I ran it three times using three separate unique phrases. Only here.

Nice try. I'll wait to get concerned about this until I hear it from an identifiable official source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well now, here's the thing. This information from this official source reads like it was written by a corporate entity.

If you take chunks of that release verbatim and run a Google search, guess what. In all of the information on all of the Internet Google points you to only one place. This CC thread.

I ran it three times using three separate unique phrases. Only here.

Nice try. I'll wait to get concerned about this until I hear it from an identifiable official source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not saying anything as to the validity of the "source", but not sure why the fact that nothing shows up in a Google search proves or disproves anything.

Yes, it sounds like corporate memo-speak. If the OP is making it all up, it doesn't really matter. And if the OP is truthful and it came from someone "in a meeting", I wouldn't think any memo that was passed out in that meeting would be found anywhere a Google search could reach.

At any rate, whatever happens doesn't really matter to me. Make both people purchase the package or don't...any decision is going to make some portion of the cruising public mad.

When the alcohol package was first introduced, everyone in the cabin over 21 had to purchase. It really never has mattered to me. My family always books 2 connecting cabins and we book parent/child in each. That way, only one has to buy the package. We never share the package either.

Well if this is true, I hope they lower the price of the package as we bought 2 sip and stream 1 deluxe and 1 refreshment package for our 11/4/17 Harmony sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am sure there are a large number of cruisers where only one partner drinks. My husband always buys the drinks package, I drink water the majority of the time or maybe a coke or other drink in the D or Concierge lounge in the evening. There is no way I am paying double for his drinks, so we will be giving that a miss.

When the alcohol package was first introduced, everyone in the cabin over 21 had to purchase. It really never has mattered to me. My family always books 2 connecting cabins and we book parent/child in each. That way, only one has to buy the package. We never share the package either.

I thought this was still the case.

Will have to wait and see how it all shakes out over the next year I guess:D

Honest question here... What if my wife is pregnant and cannot drink? Would they still make us both purchase it? If so, that's a bunch of balogna.

That is what they require on Carnival. Bummer if RC goes to this as well.

1. This was Royal Caribbean's policy when alcoholic drink packages were first introduced.

2. Quite a few people right here on Cruise Critic have bragged about sharing a package, and how "easy" it was.

3. Several people on this thread have said that if this goes into effect, they will not buy the package. I assume that you will still purchase some drinks. Royal is not going to take a hit on this (definitely) in the long run and probably not in the short run, either.

Honest question here... What if my wife is pregnant and cannot drink? Would they still make us both purchase it? If so, that's a bunch of bologna.

Even back when packages were first introduced, they gave an exemption for pregnant cabinmates. I don't know if they required a doctor's note. (but I assume that they did)

Back in the day, my wife was given exception due to religion. She does not drink. As long as that still holds, then it's all good.

There has to be some exceptions.

I swear though, if they hadn't removed all the other drink packages sharing wouldn't be as prevalent as it is now.

Back in the day, my wife was given exception due to religion. She does not drink. As long as that still holds, then it's all good.

There has to be some exceptions.

I swear though, if they hadn't removed all the other drink packages sharing wouldn't be as prevalent as it is now.

Please explain what you mean by this.

Please explain what you mean by this.

We don't have a drink package so no sharing, but did enjoy the wine and beer package once _ kinda a middle ground price wise and not everyone like sweet fancy cocktails . So may consider a package if they brought that back at a reasonable cost

I am sure there are a large number of cruisers where only one partner drinks. My husband always buys the drinks package, I drink water the majority of the time or maybe a coke or other drink in the D or Concierge lounge in the evening. There is no way I am paying double for his drinks, so we will be giving that a miss.

Same here! I'm a water & tea drinker. I may have a glass of wine a couple of nights but I pay for them! Hubby gets the drink package. If this is true we'll no longer get the package. I'm not sure hubby gets his money worth but he generally spends $250-$350 per cruise on alcohol. I prefer not having to monitor so generally buy the package for him!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums