Cruise Air question

Ry&Sam

Yes it would be "custom air" and it is 75$ per person to do it, if you are platinum or above the fee is waived. Most times it is cheaper and better to do it yourself, you might want to check sidestep.com and kayak.com It can be done before final payment

Can you change your flight and/or upgrade if you purchase your air fare through the cruise line?

Not all flights can be upgraded....as I found out with custom air in August....CHeck with the carrier first as to what codes of fligths can be upgraded..then you go from there with RCCL custom air..

I never heard of custom air before! If you purchase their air I wonder if they'll let you fly in the day before if you have your own lodging?! :confused:

There is a charge for "custom air" or "air deviation". There may also be an additional upcharge for the air fare itself.

Please see this post for a complete explanation of cruise air:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

If you want upgraded class of service, the cruise lines generally charge exorbitant amounts over what you can book yourself.

By change your flights, do you mean with the carrier or to a different carrier. If it is the former, you probably can, but the airline may charge a fee. If it is the latter, probably not. Non refundable tickets (which the cruise lines buy) cannot be switched among airlines.

As to upgrades, if you are paying for the upgrade, you probably can, but it may be expensive with the low cost ticket. If you want to use FF miles, generally not.

By change your flights, do you mean with the carrier or to a different carrier. If it is the former, you probably can, but the airline may charge a fee. If it is the latter, probably not. Non refundable tickets (which the cruise lines buy) cannot be switched among airlines.

As to upgrades, if you are paying for the upgrade, you probably can, but it may be expensive with the low cost ticket. If you want to use FF miles, generally not.

You can't change flights on "normal" cruise air. What the cruise line assigns is what you get. You would have to do air deviation to change flights. And at the late date you get a cruise air assignment, as a general rule, you will be paying a large upcharge (as the cheap cruise air tickets are sold out) plus deviation fee to get your preferred flights.

An example of upgrade price: To upgrade an international "cruise air" flight from coach to business-Cunard-January 6 transatlantic-regular cruise air from PHX is $694.00 (one way Phoenix to Heathrow) and transfer to Southampton. One way Business class fare upgrade-$2594.

RT Phoenix to Heathrow, BA, business class, $2984. Almost $2000.00 for a one way upgrade is pretty darn exorbitant in my book.

I used the upgrade for our Tahiti cruise last year. I am Elite and was charged the deviation fee. I've never seen that as part of the perks so I'm wondering where I'd find that (no sarcasm, really curious). I also had to pay the difference in fare so it was quite expensive but since it was our 30th anniversary I went for it.

I used the upgrade for our Tahiti cruise last year. I am Elite and was charged the deviation fee. I've never seen that as part of the perks so I'm wondering where I'd find that (no sarcasm, really curious).

I know RCCL has this perk but I've never seen it mentioned as a Princess perk so you might ask on the Princess boards.

Archived