FlyerTalker

cruisecat63076

CLE is nice and compact. 50 minutes should be fine.

Of course, if there are weather or other irregular ops, any kind of cushion becomes problematic. For example, on a flight last week, I volunteered for a bump, rushed over to another flight (different routing on a code-share) and settled in for a nice trip. All connections working. However, about 40 minutes out, the captain came on the PA and reported that there was a problem with one of the air-conditioning units and we'd have to return to our departure airport. Luckily, there was a replacement aircraft available and we make the switch. However, between the r/t to nowhere and the time in switching planes, the rest of my day was thrown off schedule. I managed to recover, thanks to good prep (I had schedules at hand on my laptop) and phone calls to get reroute.

So, with that grain of salt (mechanicals can, and do, happen to everyone) you should be fine at CLE.

Flyer Talker, your's and greatAms advice have been so appreeciated and I thankyou both for the time and expertise you donate!

Two months I have been trying to figure out upgrading. Beginning to think my blondom is getting the better of my little gray cells. I have 39K miles with US and 25K with CO. I am trying to up oneway to VCE w a RT ticket, 10/08. Do any of my upgrade miles transfer within *A or ST? There is a direct from ATL to VCE on DL and would like to use my CO miles. Does this work? BTW, no status level with either. I live in SC making hubs an extra hop.

When I go to the *A site and participating airlines, seems US is a "silent" member. Can miles be used only on US metal?

I fly in/out of CLE at least 4 times a year as that's where my family is at, always on Continental.

50 minutes to connect is more than enough. As mentioned, Continental is located in Concourses C & D, both of which easy to navigate and get around.

The only time when 50 minutes might not be enough is when you are delayed at your originating airport. Very rarely are delays caused by CLE.

Two months I have been trying to figure out upgrading. Beginning to think my blondom is getting the better of my little gray cells. I have 39K miles with US and 25K with CO. I am trying to up oneway to VCE w a RT ticket, 10/08. Do any of my upgrade miles transfer within *A or ST? There is a direct from ATL to VCE on DL and would like to use my CO miles. Does this work? BTW, no status level with either. I live in SC making hubs an extra hop.
Let's start with your CO miles. A couple of website references: CO OnePass Upgrade Summary and CO Upgrade charts. From the latter:
Continental Airlines upgrade rewards include rewards on Northwest, KLM (excluding KL/NW coded PrivatAir flights operated on behalf of KLM*) and Copa on applicable routes.
So using CO miles on a DL flight (ATL-VCE) won't work. You could use it for any combination of CO/NW/KL/and CM metal. Also, you can't transfer your miles from one airline in SkyTeam to another program. Now onto the economics of this. A North America-Europe upgrade is a Series 6 upgrade. This requires either 10K (full-fare "Y" coach) or 20K miles (other economy coach) one-way. Now comes the gotcha. In addition to the miles, upgrades from lower fare classes have an additional "service fee" of up to $450 one-way. See THIS CHART. So your total out of pocket payment is increased.
When I go to the *A site and participating airlines, seems US is a "silent" member. Can miles be used only on US metal?

I'm not very familiar with US, but looking at their website makes it appear that you can use your Dividend Miles for either award tickets on US or Star partners or for upgrades on US metal. Again, a small gotcha with US upgrading - it's 30K miles for a one-way upgrade, and the fare has to be over 600 one-way or 1200 r/t.

You are probably looking at a lower $$ cost on US, but you would only be upgraded as far as US metal will take you. It will involve a connect in Europe to one of the US partners (I'd pick LH for the shortest intra-Europe legs). To use the CO miles, you could take CO/NW/KL into AMS and then on to VCE, being upgraded the whole way (though KL business within Europe is nothing special). Or fly into another ST hub in Europe (MXP/FCO/CDG/PRG) and then coach into VCE. Best advice is to call CO and US and discuss your options with an agent - they can look up availability, pricing, routing and other options with you. Hope this gives you some more info to work with.

CORRECTION: I missed the PHL-VCE flight on US -- so, you could take US without a connection in Europe. Me bad -- I need to spend more time reading timetables so I'm up to date on who goes where. :)

Of course, this would mean you have to connect in PHL -- be sure to put in PLENTY of time for that connect. More for the benefit of your luggage than yourself.

FlyerTalker, Thankyou for your reply. Guess my "wish" it were my way vs. the airlines policies do not coincide.

Yes, I saw the PHL to VCE and I can fly one way on US to PHL for a very reasonable fee at this time. Reason one-way is that the cruise is a TATL, 10/03/08 from VCE to FLL. Hence, I would hop a one-way from FLL to CHS on FL at the end of the cruise. As you said, flying out of PHL w/US is a scarey thought as that place is famous for MIAL (missing in action luggage, perhaps add to the glossary <?>).

Another option, and your input regarding frequency/timing of upgrade availablity would be again appreciated. Also I would like to arrive in VCE with my USA luggage weight allowance. OK, My cruise roomie lives in EWR. CO has 2 daily flights to LGW. When does the window of opportunity seem best for upgrading and what are my options from LGW to VCE? I noticed during August of this year that some upgrades were being offered on this route. Right now, CO is charging space shuttle rates for this route! Then LGW to VCE options. Would love to fly Silverjet but logistics to LGW with luggage, lethargy, and longevity are a nightmare!

Ahhh, light dawns on Marble Head! Best scenario, through AMS. Problem there is CO /KLM fly primarily the 757's. A big yuck, along with decreased op for upgrade due to lack of seating allocation.

If I did fly coach from MPX to VCE, would my luggage weight allocation change?

Archived