What is wrong with me? How do others do it?

PekingeseLady

It’s a mystery to me, too!! My DH keeps trying to get me to take 1 less suitcase, but it never fails that I go over the weight limit and out comes the extra suitcase!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ever notice that same packaged luggage will weigh different amount at different airlines scales?

Earlier this month weighed 48 pounds on Delta outgoing and same suitcase with a few pieces of my clothes getting tossed weighed 53 pounds?

OMG, TY all so much for all your replies. You made me laugh:D, I took some notes for when I cruise and have to fly, but as I am driving a Truck......:p:cool:

If you are driving to the port I don't see a problem. Take all you want!

We have to fly from a cold climate (Boston) to Florida or San Juan.

We both take a 25 inch piece of checked luggage and are able to fit formal wear and everything we need for the cruise in that and our under-the-seat carry-on.

We do Europe by air with a carry-on only so as not to be constrained by luggage. It IS possible with careful planning and coordination of outfits.

However, cruising is so different when you drive to the port. Have a great time!

Run an internet search on 4x4 capsule wardrobe. The basic concept is everything goes with everything else - in this trip, black. Those 16 pieces can turn into a whole season of clothes if done property.

I JUST packed, tonight, a 22" carry on suitcase for an 7 night trip to the Caribbean (+1 night in hotel before). 2 dresses, 4 blouses, 1 black slacks, 3 shorts, 8 t-shirts, yoga pants, hoodie or sweater, 1 cover up, 2 night shirts, 1 dress sandal, 1 flip flops. That all fits in 1/2 the suit case! The other half is my water shoes, hat, snorkel gear and 3 swimsuits. I will wear another yoga outfit to travel with my gym shoes. We get laundry but mostly I will use it to come home with clean clothes!

The backpack gets the tablet, kindle, jewelry, binoculars, liquid toiletries etc.

We don't mess with soda, water etc. so that is a non issue. We pretty much always fly to the port and I refuse to pay an extra $200 round trip for our family of 4 just because we can't pack efficiently. Really, it's not hard when you get the basic minimalist concept down and neatly fold/roll clothes.

I should add that my formal wear for Princess is still very light weight polyester dress/gown - the don't wrinkle, can be packed in a ball if you want, and if you get the adjustable designs can be worn many ways. And a basic black dress can always be dressed up with jewelry. DH can pack 1 dress shirt, 2 ties and wear his jacket on the plane and pack his dress pants or in the alternative, rent a tux for under $100 and not have to mess with it.

Unless you really have to travel with only a carry on, why bother? Just take a large suitcase and pack what you want. I can pack light if I really have to- like if we are doing a weekend in Europe and don't want to pay for baggage- but if I can take a larger case I'll just pack what I want. Don't let the pressure from those 'Oh I just walk on with a small sandwich bag carrying everything I need for my 3 week cruise' people get to you :p

Unless you really have to travel with only a carry on, why bother? Just take a large suitcase and pack what you want. I can pack light if I really have to- like if we are doing a weekend in Europe and don't want to pay for baggage- but if I can take a larger case I'll just pack what I want. Don't let the pressure from those 'Oh I just walk on with a small sandwich bag carrying everything I need for my 3 week cruise' people get to you :p

Love this post!! :)

I really can't be bothered with mimimal / capsule wardrobes. For a start they are usually made from synthetic fabrics and I prefer natural fabrics, at least for day wear. Also I'm a plus size so I can't wear skimpy clothing. I don't mind putting a load of laundry through the laundrette once a week but I hate having to hand wash stuff in my cabin at night when I'm tired. I don't go on holiday to do chores like that.

We did downsize our very large suitcases many years ago after a land trip to Europe involving train travel. They were just too large and heavy. Now we use a combination of medium-large spinners with overnight bags that fit on top, plus wheeled carry-ons.

Also over the years I have learnt to:

Always carry more than one pair of dressy shoes, and also of walking sandals. I've had shoe straps or stitching break in the past (I even had a heel break right off once, back in the days when I wore such things) and have also had several occasions where shoes got totally soaked in unexpectedly heavy rainstorms.

Always carry at least two swimsuits, partly because I hate getting into a damp swimsuit, and also because I've experienced swimsuit "disintegration" during a trip.

Always carry warm layers even in summer, and at least one lighter layer in cooler climates (I find jeans are too hot on warm days). Some places, like Melbourne in Australia, can get four seasons in a day.

Always carry more than one pair of casual pants and also dressy pants. Accidents happen and if they do I want something clean/dry/undamaged to change into.

I like variety in what I wear too, so like to have a selection of tops for both night and day, and also a selection of evening dresses - I don't wear gowns though as they are too heavy.

I always pack a super lightweight cotton robe, a sarong, and a pashmina. I hate thick towelling robes and hotel/cruise ship robes usually don't fit me anyway.

We fall more into the group who takes whatever we want. We both have a 26" bag, and if it's only for 5 days, those work out. If we go to 10-11 days, or cold weather sailings in Alaska, we normally add a third carry on size. We rather have it and not need it, then spend time working with whatever we pack in a small bag, as we do enough of that on other trips.

Cruising is only one vacation type we take, and average one a year as that's enough for us. We do tour on our motorcycle, and those trips can be just a weekend or 7-8 days. Either way, we both get one bag about the side of a full face helmet that fits in the saddlebag, and we pack that for the duration of the trip. So when we cruise, or take any other vacation, we take whatever we want.

To us, given the cost of the cruise, we just figure in baggage fee's on the plane if we need too, since we usually fly to the port. Even the couple of times we have driven to FLL, we still pack all we want too.

It works for us :D

You never lose a bag when you travel with a carry on. You don't have to wait for ages in the baggage claim area to find that your baggage is the very last to show up, beaten and haggard.

With a carry on, you walk off the plane, head out the door and your leg is the first one the drug dog sniffs as you make your way to the taxi.(y)

I see people falling all over themselves trying to wheel out several large suitcases around. I wouldn't want to travel like that but that's just me.

For us, it's not a problem to wash out underwear and socks while taking the morning shower. Today's casual shirts for active wear are usually made from wicking material. They wash out easy and dry fast. It only takes a minute to wash these things and hung up, they dry quick. I've never been late for breakfast yet.:)

The bottom line is travel the way that makes you the most comfortable. Everybody's different.

Happy cruising.:)

I dont even try... Part of fun with cruising is that they dont limit your luggage, we fly SW, so 2 bags each plus carry on. No w next year when we are Elite, I might rethink this just to take advantage of free laundry.

I got used to packing extremely light for trips to Vegas .... which I now can do in a large purse for a 3 day trip. I rely heavily on packing cubes to squish stuff down and keep it organized.

So, I've eventually gotten down to a carry on and large purse, my DH has a carry on and a small backpack for any cruises that are 9 days or less. We just got tired of repacking clothing that hadn't even been worn or worn just once for a short period of time. And, we don't tend to buy a lot of souvenirs anymore so don't need extra room for that. If we sail out of our home port and don't have the beverage package, we may also take a compact folding samsonite luggage cart with wheels to carry on our own bottles of wine onboard and it is always readily available for the corkage table that way. Of course, we never have wine left over at the end of the cruise so we just place that folding set of wheels into the front pocket of our carry on when disembarking. Even if we would have an unopened bottle or two at the end of the cruise, we will give it to one of our favorite waiters or room steward while asking them first if they even drink alcohol. After many cruises, we've got it down now!!

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve converted 5 people. It takes a bit getting used to, but once you figured it out, you’ll never check bags again! BTW...I too used to travel with the largest suitcase available and large backpack. Lol! Keep trying!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's definitely horses for courses.

When we take long family holidays we tend to come home with quite a bit of luggage. the last two trips, we've had 8 large suitcases plus 4 carry ons and a stroller for 2 adults, 2 kids.

But that's because we tend to travel for 5-6 weeks and do lots of shopping. In fact if you were to REMOVE shopping, all of our clothes, toiletries and essentials for the four of us would fit easily in just ONE of those suitcases.

For the first time in about 17 years, we will be sailing out of our home port, Sydney, in December. That means we can just take the train to the cruise terminal with the kids and our luggage. I don't think we'll do much shopping on a 13 night New Zealand cruise so I suspect we will end up with 2 large suitcases and 4 carry on bags. We're not really "dressy" people so each of us is happy to travel with 5-6 shirts, a couple of pants/skirt each and 2 pairs of shoes.

I use packing cubes (not a cube shape, but rectangular with mesh on top and zipper on side) I got a Target for under $30. There are 3 sizes,(:Large, Medium and small) one for my tops, one for pants and one for undiesl. I rolled everything, and got all of my tops for a 15 day cruise in the Large. Takes up much smaller space.

We don't even try to .... :D

Hi LuLu,

My wife loves your answer :). She tells me we spend $5,000 or more on a Cruise. So why not spend $100. more to take another suitcase. I have no answer..:(:(

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

I use packing cubes (not a cube shape, but rectangular with mesh on top and zipper on side) I got a Target for under $30. There are 3 sizes,(:Large, Medium and small) one for my tops, one for pants and one for undiesl. I rolled everything, and got all of my tops for a 15 day cruise in the Large. Takes up much smaller space.

I am a recent convert to packing cubes as well! I am a chronic over-packer. Can't even do an overnight to Orlando with only one suitcase ;p I bought cubes for the whole family (each person gets their own color) and I was able to fit all of our things into three carry-on sized suitcases rather than the two carry-on size, two larger sized and misc bags we usually take. We are a family of four and I fall into the "you need an outfit for each day" camp, ie: seven bottoms/tops for a seven day cruise, seven evening outfits, two-three pairs of shoes, many bathing suits etc. As you said, I rolled all of the clothes and put them in the cubes by need (evening in one, shorts/tees in another, etc.) The only thing not in a cube is the hubby's suit and suit shirts and one of my dresses that I think will be super wrinkled.

I am a recent convert to packing cubes as well! I am a chronic over-packer. Can't even do an overnight to Orlando with only one suitcase ;p I bought cubes for the whole family (each person gets their own color) and I was able to fit all of our things into three carry-on sized suitcases rather than the two carry-on size, two larger sized and misc bags we usually take. We are a family of four and I fall into the "you need an outfit for each day" camp, ie: seven bottoms/tops for a seven day cruise, seven evening outfits, two-three pairs of shoes, many bathing suits etc. As you said, I rolled all of the clothes and put them in the cubes by need (evening in one, shorts/tees in another, etc.) The only thing not in a cube is the hubby's suit and suit shirts and one of my dresses that I think will be super wrinkled.

Just curious. On a 25 day cruise do you/would you take 25 day outfits & 25 evening outfits?

Enjoyed reading everyone's comments from carry on to 4-6 large suitcases. Too funny!

I am currently going through the filtering process of items / clothing for our upcoming cruise. I am trying really hard to keep the amount of luggage down (thank you Southwest).

Hubby says, how many luggage bags can we check in with Southwest for free?? :rolleyes:

I'm thinking about the lugging it part...ahemm. We usually use 1 large, 1 medium, 2 carryon's (medicine, cameras, electronics & emergency clothing in case our suitcases don't meet up with us.) Not sure I am going to get by with what we usually do but going to try.

But like life itself, each one of us are different in our views of what we want/need. Bottom line, enjoy your cruise!

This past August, we flew to Copenhagen for 2 1/2 days then a 15 TA. We each had a 20 & 22 " suitcase to carry all our clothes even some heavy jackets for Iceland & husbands suit coats ( 2 ) I have learned to pack for 7 days up to 2 weeks. I packs 5/6 slacks, mix & match blouses to go with each and alternate my evening attire then repeat the following week. I pack 2 maybe 3 pairs of evening shoes to match with my evening wear. Day clothes depending on climate. Next March the daughter & I will take the 15 day Hawaiian out of San Pedro and plan to take no more then my 22 " I also use the packing cubes.

Lay out the slacks you wish to take and match with your blouses. I factor in the formal nights. Over a two week cruise I might wear 1 or two slacks for evening or a skirt 3 X's by alternating. Sometimes I will use a calendar to mark each day a color slack will be warn so can get by with black slacks for formal nights ( 3 ) rest casual. It doesn't matter which night I wear a particular attire but helps me figure how many to bring. finally I will pack my main clothes in the carry on so if the checked back goes astray I have my clothes for the trip.

Cool Cruizer, Heck no! Went on a 15 day cruise, took 1 black and brown pair of pants and 5 tops to go with each. Wore an outfit more than once, it my table mates didn't like it, Oh well, too bad, so sad. This was for the evening. Same thing for the day took several pairs of shorts and 5 tops, but we did wash half way through the trip because it was a Panama Canal cruise and it was hot. We washed on a sea day, it was easy. Took Tide Pods and dryer sheets. Used the packing cubes and it all fit., just roll real tight. Good luck on getting your clothes down, makes the luggage much lighter an d more room for gifts.

I need a carry on just for all my wine and soda!!!

Skip that

I thought for sure I could eliminate one suitcase for our upcoming 5day cruise, but no!

I mean you need at least black flats for dinner, flip flops for pool, sandals with straps for beach walking.Eliminate Flip/Flops use just Sandals

Windbreaker and sweaters for those chilly nights and mornings on deck.Windbreaker or sweater , not both

Two swimsuits so one can dry. One is sufficient air dry on Balcony

Skip that - No Way! there are important things in life.;p

Eliminate Flip/Flops use just Sandals - Ooh, just saved 4 ounces.:eek:

Windbreaker or sweater , not both - I'll give you this one, but style wise there is a difference.:confused:

One is sufficient air dry on Balcony - Now that is a NO NO!!!:evilsmile:

For me it is a weight problem, a few shirts, dockers, Levis, toiletries, socks and the dreaded underwear and I am at 50 pounds. If I bring my tux, I have to put some of the clothes in the carry on. Then again, I am 6'8" and my clothes are BIG. I would travel with a female manager for meetings. She would pack a carry on for 3 days of meetings and I had a 50# suitcase.

Seriously, no matter what I do DH and I need a large suitcase each, and a garment bag for his dinner coat and shirts. How do some of you get away with a backpack and carry on? I need a carry on just for all my wine and soda!!!:p I thought for sure I could eliminate one suitcase for our upcoming 5day cruise, but no!:') I mean you need at least black flats for dinner, flip flops for pool, sandals with straps for beach walking. Windbreaker and sweaters for those chilly nights and mornings on deck. Two swimsuits so one can dry:cool:. Seriously how do you folks do it, carry on your one small bag only? Or one large bag for that matter:rolleyes::o Help me, please!!!

I'm a chronic over-packer so I can identify...but 4 large suitcases for 5 days?? LOL!

One solution that pops out at me: pack your shoes inside your hubby's shoes. One windbreaker or sweater in a neutral color to match most of your clothes. Soda can be stacked on your carry-on bag or better yet, slap a luggage tag on it and check with your luggage.

I'm with you on two swimsuits...especially if you don't have a balcony to hang it on.

I can't help wonder how on earth people do it with just a backpack for a week? They sure wouldn't be the folks that you comment on how nice they look? The would probably be wrinkled? Just my silly prejudice, I guess.

We always plan to pack lighter, but... I once paid $11 for 16 Benadryl tablets on board when I had an allergic reaction and broke out in hives, our travel kit now has Benadryl in it. Couldn’t rule out the shower soap or shampoo provided as the culprit. Now we bring our own. Also pain relievers, Rx meds, etc. We bring less socks & undies, but bring detergent and use the laundry facilities on sea days. Also only a few pair of shorts and slacks each and mix & match tops. We like to dress nice for the MDR and dress up for formal nights. We did 20 days on the Royal in Dec 2016 with 2 large, 1 small and a rolling garment bag, plus a carry on with meds, electronics, charging station. Also bring a small USB powered fan for some air circulation at night. No plugging in so it works on the night stand. I’ll suffer through getting the luggage there and back before I’ll leave something behind that I want or need!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm with you!

In the 22 years my honey and I have been cruising, we have learned a lot about packing. I take a LOT less than I did back when we started. That being said I have different packing lists for different lengths of cruises and different climates. We like to do walk-off at the end of the cruise so that is a factor.

Now we usually take 2 26" rolling suitcases, 2 carry-ons and a backpack each. Our longest cruise was 32 days and we have free laundry but I won't send everything out (some ruined clothes). We will do some laundry ourselves. We like to wear clean clothes everyday and have a little variety. We will wear some things a second time like pants and shorts. We don't get real dressed up for dinner anymore but we do dress nicely for the dining room.

I like to walk down the hall the night before the ship docks and see people with 4 or 5 bags waiting to be picked up. Good for them! I always say why does it matter to you how much I take as long as I don't ask you to carry my bags!

I totally and completely agree with you!! Sometimes, if it's a longer cruise we will take 3 26" rolling suitcases, my computer/carry-on bag and DH brings a small rolling bag with his toiletries and mine and clothes for the next day if we are staying in a hotel pre-cruise. We use the same small rolling bag for the last night on the cruise after they take our big luggage away. DH also has his CPAP bag that sits on the small roller.

Bottom line, folks! Do what works for you and hopefully your DH or DW traveling with you is on the same page so there aren't too many conflicts.

It's vacation...don't worry about it and have fun!!! :cool: