Atlanta to Miami. Port....drive or fly?

duncmelsmom

I'm sure there are some of you in the same "boat" as we are (tee hee!). Should we drive to Miami to sail for 8 nights or fly? Which is cheaper?

Cost of flight? Cheapest airline? Ease of transferring from airport to Miami Port?

Driving? 10.5 hours, gas $$? Car parking $$? Exhaustion? Tolls??

Trying to figure which way is best...tell me your experience(s).

Thank you!!

How many in your party? And what time of year?

The cost of a week's parking at PortMiami is about the same as a round-trip ticket on Spirit between ATL and FLL. So if only two of you just weigh the cost of one more ticket and airport transfers vs. the cost of gas, tolls, meals en route, wear and tear on the car (and your bodies) and the value of a 90 minute vs. 11-12 hour transit. So unless you have other plans before and after your cruise requiring your personal vehicle, even the higher priced legacy airlines flying to MIA from ATL still beat out driving.

...but if you really want to drive I would suggest a pair of one-way rentals, total cost of which could be less than the cost of parking in Miami. And using less fuel depending on what type of vehicle you own (another fact necessary if you want a thorough analysis of your question).

Parking at POM is $22/day and is convenient, covered and secure; parking anywhere else will not be as convenient, will likely not be covered and for sure will not be as secure. It's your car - do you feel lucky? :confused:

You can search www.parksleepfly.com and www.stay123.com for hotels offering cruise parking deals - most will be out near the MIA airport and NONE offers a ride back to your car, so add $30+ for a taxi (or about $20 for an Uber). La Quinta east is a budget motel near MIA often suggested on this board.

Whatever you do I would arrive the day before the cruise so that if something goes wrong (flight cancellation or a breakdown or accident of the vehicle if you drive) that you still have time to make the ship.

Keith

Seems like I am following Keith around here this morning, ;p

Definitely get there a day before. Personally we only fly Southwest because they always end up being the cheapest for us since the other airlines charge you for luggage, TV, drinks, snacks, to breath, etc. Each person has their own preference though.

Driving anywhere for vacation is fun and the anticipation helps make it an enjoyable trip.

REMEMBER, you have to drive back after your vacation. You're going to be tired, the anticipation isn't going to be there, you're just going to want to be home and "relax" from relaxing. Flying will get you home quicker in the end.

I prefer flying, for two people you will probably break close to even. The big difference in cost would be if your party is four people or more. At 1400 miles rt at .55 a mile and tolls and food it will cost around $800. However some of those costs are sunk in your vehicle.

I cruise solo, and always fly from ATL to MIA... By the time you get to cruising altitude, your about ready to land. It's a better way to start off than traversing hundreds of miles in a car. In addition, driving in Miami is crazy, not to mention the parking situation.

Fares from Atlanta to Miami are usually pretty good.

How many people in your group? If its 2 flying would likely be cheaper. Its such an easy and short flight. You can look into flights to both MIA and FLL.

As for transfers. It does not matter because you will fly in one day before your cruise.

Thank you!!

Great advice. It's 2 of us. So fly in a day before? That adds more expense of a place to stay. Hmmm....We've cruised out of New Orleans 2x. Driving there is 7 hours. We drive about an hour from the port and stay in a hotel.

Maybe we should think of that again. If we fly to Miami or FLL the day before departure, we'll have to get a hotel. I can only imagine that those around the airports and such are prime. It'll be something to research anything.

Lots to think about in about 500 days...tee hee!! Peace out!

We have the same dilemma but about three more hours of driving. We did the car rental home from MIA. It worked but waiting for the shuttle to the rental place was very slow. We were hoping for an early start but that did not happen. But this would eliminate parking fees and wear and tear on your car. We booked flights. One time we stayed at the airport Intercontinental at FLL and used Jiffy Jeff-highly recommended-to get us to the port. This next time we are flying to MIA and staying at Homewood Suites West( the closer Homewood Suites was all booked). They have an airport shuttle plus a shuttle to the port for $12 a person. Price was reasonable and cheaper than at the port. Check both FLL and MIA areas as prices fluctuate and both work. Good luck and happy sailing.

So we are from Augusta....and we drive to all our ports. Port Canaveral this weekend. Good luck!

We are from Covington and sail out of Canaveral a lot.

Driving to Miami this November will be a new adventure for us but we are going to break it up rather than try to drive straight through.

Thank you!!

Great advice. It's 2 of us. So fly in a day before? That adds more expense of a place to stay. Hmmm....We've cruised out of New Orleans 2x. Driving there is 7 hours. We drive about an hour from the port and stay in a hotel.

Maybe we should think of that again. If we fly to Miami or FLL the day before departure, we'll have to get a hotel. I can only imagine that those around the airports and such are prime. It'll be something to research anything.

Lots to think about in about 500 days...tee hee!! Peace out!

We live in the Atlanta area as well. We've driven down to Miami a couple of times, but now I do my best to fly down to FLL or MIA. As someone mentioned, the drive to MIA and back is miserable. For 2 peeps, it's almost always cheaper to fly.

As others have said, fly in the day before. Get a hotel and go site seeing. Lots of things to do and see in FLL and/or MIA.

That drive from Miami to Atlanta is miserable.

Fly.

That is why we are breaking it up into two days. Believe me if I could fly I would but having tried it twice it is just too much for my anxiety.

We are spending the night in Daytona and the next night at the Hamptoh Inn Brickell. On the way home we will drive as far as Amelia Island and spend the night, which is only about five hours from home.

This may be our first and only trip out of Miami...;p

Considering this same dilemma out of Charleston, SC for December. Leading toward the drive. Flights are expensive out of CHS and we just did the drive to Port Canaveral. I enjoy the drive, but need to work on Monday too.

We have heard too many stories of cancelled flights lately. I really don't want too deal with that, especially if it's a connection.

We also considered the car rental thing. It looks like around $200 and needing to mess with shuttles and rental counters. Driving to Vero, West Palm, or Palm Beach Gardens and staying the night, then going to the terminal and paying the $22per night parking gets us out right away without dealing with a shuttle and a rental counter.

Edited by Alaska06

Considering this same dilemma out of Charleston, SC for December. Leading toward the drive. Flights are expensive out of CHS and we just did the drive to Port Canaveral. I enjoy the drive, but need to work on Monday too.

We have heard too many stories of cancelled flights lately. I really don't want too deal with that, especially if it's a connection.

We also considered the car rental thing. It looks like around $200 and needing to mess with shuttles and rental counters. Driving to Vero, West Palm, or Palm Beach Gardens and staying the night, then going to the terminal and paying the $22per night parking gets us out right away without dealing with a shuttle and a rental counter.

For me, the drive from Charleston, isn't near as bad as the one from Atlanta. It's shorter for one. We've made it in ten hours. It isn't as boring I guess.