Caribbean excursions for family group of 11.

Bowie MeMe

We are taking ll people on a cruise for our 50th wedding anniversary. Ages 70's grandparents 40's parents 18,18,17,9 and 3 for grandchildren. All the kids but the 18 year olds have cruised since they were 6 months old. We have all been in the Caribbean many many times (lived in Florida for years) so no new ports on the itinerary. How would you go about excursions? Youngest still must have car seat to travel by car (US rules ). What fits 11? All can walk pretty well except grandparents (we don't walk over a mile at a time -- get teased alot by the fitness crazy kids!). I have often hired guides in Asia and Africa but not for more than a car full. If anyone has done this type of trip or can suggest activities Eastern Caribbean on Caribbean Princess would appreciate an assist. (11 on excursion sounds like a fortune!)

With that age range, and all the different personalities, are you sure you all want to do the same things at the same times? And yes...excursions, whether the ship's or private ones, will cost a fortune!

I'd suggest researching your ports (everyone but the 3 year old, and possibly 9 year old) ....and see what interests everyone! Most Caribbean ports are very easy to get around on your own. A guidebook is very useful, since it shows all about transportation, beaches, shopping, food/drink, points of interest, safety, etc.....

Everyone should pick a few things that interest them and then you can decide if you want to do that "en masse" or go off on your own. Some might want a tour, others may want a beach or snorkel experience...some may just want to shop or eat....groups are difficult, even (or especially) when they're family! You don't want some to be miserable while 3 of you are having a blast!

Don't try to herd cats. There is no excursion that will be right for everyone. It seems there are you (2), three sets of parents (6 adults) and 5 children. Divide the parents up and send the kids different places with them. You want them to enjoy the cruise, so let them each choose what they want to do. Then you won't have to worry about one vehicle for 11 people, EM

When I traveled with my young children (youngest 2) and the grandparents I decided what I wanted to do that would be ideal for the kids. Then I sat the grandparents down with printouts of all the ship excursions, and told the grandparents they could come with us if what we were doing was what they wanted to do, or they could either take a ship excursion or I would duplicate the ship excursion with a private vendor. For most of the excursions, they wanted to do what we chose, and in other ports they wanted to do something different. My mother was comfortable coming on private excursions with me, but didn't want to go with a private vendor without me so we sent the grandparents on ship excursions when they didn't want to do the same thing. So either sit everyone down and show them the options, or email the options to them and let them decide. You don't want to be responsible for someone being resentful because they would rather have spent the whole day at the beach vs seeing waterfalls. Just give each family the option of choosing what they'd enjoy best and everyone will be fine.

We did a similar cruise with 11 only difference being the oldest grandchild was 14 and the youngest was 8 or 9, but there were 5 of them. We did a catamaran cruise excursion with snorkeling and beach. Gramps and I stayed on the boat for the snorkeling and took pics of everyone else (perhaps some special games, etc.. and the 3 yr.old could also stay onboard with grandparents). It was a little difficult getting off and on the catamaran at the beach for the "old" folks, and might be for your little one. However ,the crew was was VERY helpful and we managed quite well. The Excursion included music, dancing (fun stuff that the kids loved) and a pretty good buffet lunch. The excursion lasted about 4-5 hrs. and was a really fun experience for the whole family. Yes, it did cost some money (although NOT a "fortune"), but the fun had and memories made were definitely worth it.

Hope your cruise is wonderful!:D

• 3 weeks later...

Any more ideas for how to set up fun times in the Islands for 11 folks. Families probably will walk most places but the grands need transportation. We did guide in van but at that time had only 8. Actually we all love being together because it is pretty rare that we gather in one place and it is most often a ship or resort now. (I don't have beds or cooking for 11 now -- just easier to meet somewhere and Granddaddy pays!) If you have any ideas let me know. 3 year old is a walker and tough. 9 year old runs a mile or two each day (runs with Dad) . Meme and Grandaddy are the limiting factors.

Looking forward to this trip but have 3 week fly/drive trip this month and holiday trips and then Cuba cruise in Feb. Gotta go while you can still do it.;p

;p

We did a similar cruise with 11 only difference being the oldest grandchild was 14 and the youngest was 8 or 9, but there were 5 of them. We did a catamaran cruise excursion with snorkeling and beach. Gramps and I stayed on the boat for the snorkeling and took pics of everyone else (perhaps some special games, etc.. and the 3 yr.old could also stay onboard with grandparents). It was a little difficult getting off and on the catamaran at the beach for the "old" folks, and might be for your little one. However ,the crew was was VERY helpful and we managed quite well. The Excursion included music, dancing (fun stuff that the kids loved) and a pretty good buffet lunch. The excursion lasted about 4-5 hrs. and was a really fun experience for the whole family. Yes, it did cost some money (although NOT a "fortune"), but the fun had and memories made were definitely worth it.

Hope your cruise is wonderful!:D

Thank you. Where did you do the excursion? I think maybe one blow out excursion and the rest will be out and about and back to the ship to eat. People that don't cruise much don't understand the excursion to a small boat but some of them have been so much fun. How did you go about setting it up? Guess go to the ports section and see what folks have had fun with. Really looking forward to this trip. All of us cruise but usually not together (Grandparents are the problem-- they love 40-50 day trips -- blow the budget for the year all in one BIG check.

• 1 month later...

What are your specific ports of call? Are we talking the base 7 day to PC, St. Thomas and St. Martin? The later is still suffering badly from the hurricane.

My advice is if you really wish to play travel agent, then chose 2 options - an easy and an adventure - choice. Using the ship excursions are the easiest but not most cost effective.

If my ports are correct and you want to keep everyone together, you don’t need to plan anything for PC. St. Thomas has many providers that have open air large trucks that you could pile the family in to tour you around. You could do a drop at the beach for some, send others zip lining and then return for pick up. St. Martin we had booked at catamaran snorkel that was 1/2 mile walk from pier. They cancelled because they couldn’t find 4 to make us a party of 8. You have that so you know the trip would go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums